Milton Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Milton Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:01 pm

Sobering times, but we need to focus on the task in hand. Still no Bod, but are we up for it? Time to talk football...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:08 pm

Hope so! COYWM.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:46 pm

it's on iFollow.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:46 pm
it's on iFollow.
In the UK, or do I have to EasyJet into Italy or summat? :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:13 pm
it's on iFollow.
In UK - it's a midweek match not covered by Sky.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:23 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:13 pm
it's on iFollow.
In UK - it's a midweek match not covered by Sky.
Brill

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:16 am

Good to have the Wanderers back after that daft break at the weekend.

McDons of course have had a terrible start, and seemingly have struggled to deal with the loss of Twine, Darling et al. However, prior to the season kicking off we would have said this fixture would have been one of the toughest in the calendar, so I'm wary of being too bullish. I would also expect that they will begin to improve as their new players bed in.

It's very difficult to predict Evatt's lineups these days, so I'll just go with who I'd play:

Trafford

Jones Santos Johnston

Morley Williams

Bradley Iredale

Lee

Dapo Charles

As an aside, did anyone take a look at the official squad photo? If not, it's in the link below. Iredale is not very tall - certainly no taller than Johnston, and seemingly shorter than Morley, who looks bigger than I imagined.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/septem ... to-202223/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 am

Weren't Evatt's comments along the lines of "Do what we did against Charlton"? Does that mean the same midfield?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:41 am

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:41 am
Weren't Evatt's comments along the lines of "Do what we did against Charlton"? Does that mean the same midfield?
No idea on the set up, but we do need to treat this as a "need to win" fixture. Like the Vicar said as he locked the gates to the rectory grounds against travellers, "Christianity stops at twelve caravans". We need to be ruthless and go for the jugular, so COME ON YOU WHITES...3-0 us..

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:54 am

Not even going to try and predict the team! Hopefully it’s enough for the win - 3 points here a must if we are to be taken seriously.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:04 pm

If they beat us, they're a point behind us, despite them seemingly having a terrible start

Honestly, I would take a draw here.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:04 pm
If they beat us, they're a point behind us, despite them seemingly having a terrible start

Sounds like you're throwing in the towel already. Nothing should suggest that we should be looking at settling for a draw here. We've drawn two and lost one of our away games, its about time we started putting it right.

Anything other than a win would be a disappointment as far as i'm concerned. In order to get promoted we've got to win against teams in the bottom half of the table and away from home.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Nah. They're beatable. If we stay only 4pts clear of under-par teams we ain't breaking through any ceilings.

Evatt has said these two games (MK and Posh) will give us a good indication of where we're at relative to expected promotion rivals. We've drawn at Ipswich (decent result), whacked Wycombe (good), lost at home to Sheffield Wednesday (bad) and lost at Plymouth (quite bad). Quite aside from the table, beating MK and Posh would make the poor results look like the outliers. Draw with them and Wycombe is the only win against a decent team. Lose both and it's a very worrying time, especially for the manager with a squad so good he was turning down signings.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Sounds like you're throwing in the towel already. Nothing should suggest that we should be looking at settling for a draw here. We've drawn two and lost one of our away games, its about time we started putting it right.

Anything other than a win would be a disappointment as far as i'm concerned. In order to get promoted we've got to win against teams in the bottom half of the table and away from home.
They're in the bottom half of the table now, but they finished third last year on 89 points, so I don't think we should be expecting a win. If we can take all three points that would be a terrific result, but a point certainly wouldn't be the end of the world in my eyes.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:40 pm

Aye, a win would be terrific, but we are as bad away as their results have been - I went there last season and we were so comfortable second best, that you would be forgiven there were divisions between us

I really hope we win and I do think we CAN win, but they've had a long enough break to allow their new players some time to bed in on the training ground, so I expect their results to have an upturn.

At our place, I'd fancy us to beat them handsomely, but I worry about us away from home
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:40 pm
I worry about us away from home
So do I, it's time we started winning, and there's no time like the present.
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:40 pm
I went there last season and we were so comfortable second best, that you would be forgiven there were divisions between us
Evatt thinks they were good for the first half-hour - he admits the pressing strategy was wrong - but then "it was all us until we gifted them a second goal". Them's the vagaries, Ian.
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 pm
They're in the bottom half of the table now, but they finished third last year on 89 points, so I don't think we should be expecting a win. If we can take all three points that would be a terrific result, but a point certainly wouldn't be the end of the world in my eyes.
Last season's side is gone. They've lost the guy who scored 20 and assisted 13, but also Troy Parrott and all the supporting acts – Mo Eisa aside, every single player who scored more than two goals last season. As if that wasn't bad enough, they also lost their defensive keystone to a higher division.

Accy drew there. Are we no better than Accy?

Cmon yer buggers, aim higher :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:17 pm

I’d take a point tonight. Be very happy with three. We have to as others have said find a way to be better away from home. More resilient. If we keep games tight we have the quality to nick them. I don’t think we can be too expansive as we just don’t do well enough in either final third for that to be the away tactic. I think if we sit slightly deeper and pick off turnovers we could be a really hard side to play against as I fancy we can score a bagful on the counter after turnovers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:47 pm

He bloody loves Kachunga doesn’t he

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:05 pm

Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:47 pm
He bloody loves Kachunga doesn’t he
But why?