No Posh nosh at The Unibol. V. Peterborough at home, Sat 17th Sept. 1500.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: No Posh nosh at The Unibol. V. Peterborough at home, Sat 17th Sept. 1500.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:58 pm

So what exactly is the team likely to be? Are we taking this seriously? Portsmouth is off and 1st of Oct seems our next fixture. Will the first teamers not be pushing to get a game in before then, and if so, and purely on assumption of course,what's the team likely to be?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:18 am

Dixon
Sadlier Toal Aimson Johnston John
Morely Sheehan
Lee
Bod Dapo

Would be my guess.

Frank Drebin
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frank Drebin » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:26 am

I’ve just read this quote from Afolayan this morning and it made me laugh. For anyone who hasn’t seen it.

“When they (Santos and Clarke-Harris) both fell over and then got up, they looked like they had done 12 rounds! It was a bit mental to watch. I haven’t seen anyone bump Rico but Clarke-Harris did. We were looking at each other on the bench and thinking ‘he’s a big lad’ and when I came on I stayed away from him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:11 am

I thought Clarke Harris did well and had the best of Santos especially first half. The problem was they didn’t have anyone who could profit from his aerial dominance.

Santos also did well and stuck to it in a game that demanded the sort of physical battle he obviously struggles with or dislikes.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:11 am
I thought Clarke Harris did well and had the best of Santos especially first half. The problem was they didn’t have anyone who could profit from his aerial dominance.

Santos also did well and stuck to it in a game that demanded the sort of physical battle he obviously struggles with or dislikes.
To me that looked deliberate. Santos gets physical with him and Johnston as the spare defender covers for any seconds. Trafford's starting position was also very high. It worked a treat.

I thought we were the better team. 20 mins in, I thought we're in for a game here, as they were quick, played some nce one touch angles to break any press we had and pressed us well when we tried playing out. Once we took control though we never looked back and they resorted to doing what they did. Slowed the game at every opportunity, feigning injury, into the ref for any type of tackle. Even their bench were at it when one of their players flew in on Iredale and then went down in a heap.

Overall, a good and well deserved win. also delighted for Dapo to get the winner. He's going to be the difference in tight games like this and will always make something happen.

Johnstone and Thomason were excellent, as was MJ. Gutted we have the break now, as we've got some momentum
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:44 pm

It's taken me 2 days to get over the shock but I agree with the post match comments from Insano.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:45 pm

Yep. Opinions/arseholes and all that, but I thought Santos had Clark-Harris's number throughout. Proved wrong those who say that he can't do the physical defending well. Though, of course, not really surprised that BWFC-I thinks differently! :grin:

Frank Drebin
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frank Drebin » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:25 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:45 pm
Yep. Opinions/arseholes and all that, but I thought Santos had Clark-Harris's number throughout. Proved wrong those who say that he can't do the physical defending well. Though, of course, not really surprised that BWFC-I thinks differently! :grin:
I also thought he had Clark-Harris number, but I suppose he had the motivation to do well against his former club and prove something to the Peterborough fans.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:07 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:11 am

To me that looked deliberate. Santos gets physical with him and Johnston as the spare defender covers for any seconds. Trafford's starting position was also very high. It worked a treat.

I thought we were the better team. 20 mins in, I thought we're in for a game here, as they were quick, played some nce one touch angles to break any press we had and pressed us well when we tried playing out. Once we took control though we never looked back and they resorted to doing what they did. Slowed the game at every opportunity, feigning injury, into the ref for any type of tackle. Even their bench were at it when one of their players flew in on Iredale and then went down in a heap.

Overall, a good and well deserved win. also delighted for Dapo to get the winner. He's going to be the difference in tight games like this and will always make something happen.

Johnstone and Thomason were excellent, as was MJ. Gutted we have the break now, as we've got some momentum
I think Santos did well. You aren’t going to win much aerially or with his back to goal against Clarke Harris and he played it generally well. It was obvious that for a while it bothered him that he wasn’t able to dominate the physical battle as he might normally but I think he adjusted well and winning a foot race settled him down.

I don’t think it was the plan necessarily and more pinning santos with CH was Peterborough’s plan and for a while it definitely unsettled us a bit. We worked it out well though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:47 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:44 pm
It's taken me 2 days to get over the shock but I agree with the post match comments from Insano.
Not his rather different half-time ones though :lol:

Glad we got there in the end

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:

I don’t think anything I said at half time was wrong. We got on top in the end but the fact we continued it second half was very impressive.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 pm
DJBlu wrote:

I don’t think anything I said at half time was wrong. We got on top in the end but the fact we continued it second half was very impressive.
"Wrong" can be hard to assess, but with the luxury of hindsight your half-time report sounds a wee bit... histrionic. :D
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:58 pm
For me last five aside we’ve been comfortably second best purely because we can’t cope with their press and physicality.

Then we’ve had the only real chance of the game and Bradley makes a real hash of it.

Noticeable how Santos is seriously struggling here against a big mobile unit who has the better of him.

The front two are working hard for me but I fail to see how we will score many if any as it stands as it’s very much feeding off scraps and neither Charles nor Kachunga are looking all that threatening to me. Charles noticeably under par today.

Would like to see us change it. Last five we did get on top but it’s not convincing at all. I’d take a point right now as I fear we are in for a tough second half unless our subs can make a difference.
By your full-time report, "last five aside we've been comfortably second best" and "can't cope" had shrunk to "30 minutes they were the better side" but "they didn't create anything". Funny how wins make the world look better. Long may they do so. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:49 pm

Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 pm
DJBlu wrote:

"Wrong" can be hard to assess, but with the luxury of hindsight your half-time report sounds a wee bit... histrionic. :D
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:58 pm
For me last five aside we’ve been comfortably second best purely because we can’t cope with their press and physicality.

Then we’ve had the only real chance of the game and Bradley makes a real hash of it.

Noticeable how Santos is seriously struggling here against a big mobile unit who has the better of him.

The front two are working hard for me but I fail to see how we will score many if any as it stands as it’s very much feeding off scraps and neither Charles nor Kachunga are looking all that threatening to me. Charles noticeably under par today.

Would like to see us change it. Last five we did get on top but it’s not convincing at all. I’d take a point right now as I fear we are in for a tough second half unless our subs can make a difference.
By your full-time report, "last five aside we've been comfortably second best" and "can't cope" had shrunk to "30 minutes they were the better side" but "they didn't create anything". Funny how wins make the world look better. Long may they do so. :D
None of that was not the case at the time. We’d as pretty much anyone there has said like we were in for a very tough game and only started to get on top towards the end of the half. One could with hindsight realise we’d got to grips with them and it was all up from there. But that’s hindsight.

And neither of the front two scored nor really threatened too much either. They both worked very hard but being honest had little threat in them.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 pm

Charles was excellent on Saturday. Worked his socks off, never gave their centre backs a minutes peace and that ball to Bradley for that 1st half opportunity. Oh my! :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:12 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:39 pm
The opposition had no shots on target for the second consecutive match.
Their xG (I know, I know) was 0.1 – the lowest goal threat ever recorded against Evatt's Bolton, according to my records. Even MK made it to 0.2.