No Posh nosh at The Unibol. V. Peterborough at home, Sat 17th Sept. 1500.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: No Posh nosh at The Unibol. V. Peterborough at home, Sat 17th Sept. 1500.

Post by Mar » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Jesus wept ref. MJ Clearly gets the ball, they get given a free kick and gets booked for the complaint. What's he supposed to do, actively play along with the injustice?

Same again for Sadlier.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:57 pm
Jesus wept ref. MJ Clearly gets the ball, they get given a free kick and gets booked for the complaint. What's he supposed to do, actively play along with the injustice?

Same again for Sadlier.
Nah they were justified yellows for me. MJ understandably frustrated but he gave the ref a right mouthful. Sads kicked the ball away.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Think that ball by Baka might go down as one of the worst.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm

Great result.

Did I hear the kettle did it again? Is it a new Boris £20er?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm

Yay! That’s a well dug out win. Good work Wanderers.

Last season we’d’ve lost that 0-1.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:58 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Same again for Sadlier.
Nah they were justified yellows for me. MJ understandably frustrated but he gave the ref a right mouthful. Sads kicked the ball away.
Perhaps, two in quick succession seems incredibly petulant from the referee. Especially given how contentious both of those decisions were.

As for the match. Great result. Miles better second half, Peterborough didn't really pose any trouble in the second half.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:01 pm

YYYEEESSSS :oyea:

THAT'LL DO NICELY.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:01 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm
Great result.

Did I hear the kettle did it again? Is it a new Boris £20er?
It's the first proper brew from an open boiling this season :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Couple of Desmond results sees us gain two points on the top 4.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:09 pm

Grand.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:17 pm

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 17.16.31.png
Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 17.16.31.png (63.32 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:48 pm

With that we've got the joint best defence in the league with only 6 goals conceded alongside table toppers Ipswich.

Our record of 11 goals in 9 games isn't eye watering stuff, but given we've had 5 goals disallowed this season (Wycombe, Charlton, 2xMKDons, Peterborough), it would seem like we're doing better than our 11 goals suggest.

I still don't know why today's was blown up for a free kick in the 31st min. MJ Williams wasn't exactly helping our cause with arms raised after being chastised by the ref, but when the corner was taken I see no foul.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:48 pm

Deserved win against a terrible bunch of shithouses. They were as bad as Wycombe!
Awful first 15 minutes and Jack Iredale was looking like Dean Moxey but we were the better side from then on.

MotM - MJ
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:51 pm

I thought that was a superb performance. For me the most difficult team we've faced this season and we were better than them in every single position, everyone won their individual battles. It just felt like one of those games that we really struggle with under Evatt, but everyone gave 100% it felt like a cup final to me. Could have been 4-0 too on another day. George Thomason MotM again? gets my vote, he's quickly becoming our best midfielder. Also thought Johnson was excellent too, as was everyone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:54 pm

I said at the start of this thread that much would depend on our defensive performance, and thus it came to pass. One error can cost us three points. Thankfully we performed. I agree,(amazingly) with Insaney that there will be quite a few games like this in this league, where they hang in the balance, but we have a strong squad and have made a good start. Long may it last. Right now it's as the good lady said,all about Pride ad Prejudice. :pray:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:51 pm
I thought that was a superb performance. For me the most difficult team we've faced this season and we were better than them in every single position, everyone won their individual battles. It just felt like one of those games that we really struggle with under Evatt, but everyone gave 100% it felt like a cup final to me. Could have been 4-0 too on another day. George Thomason MotM again? gets my vote, he's quickly becoming our best midfielder. Also thought Johnson was excellent too, as was everyone.
Couple of King Georges there. And they typify a happy story. Although given different 'ceiling' expectations, each came into this season perhaps on the outside of most fans' preferred XIs: Too soft, not good enough to make up for it. Well, they bulked up and knuckled down and they're both fully deserving of their regular picks.

Same can be said for the team in general, perhaps. Last season we'd have lost the niggly, stop-start "anti-football" games; this season we've whacked Wycombe, outmuscled Morecambe and pushed Posh aside. I actually think Posh have good players, all confident on the first touch, so that's no mean win today, even if they're off-form. We no longer look like the soft touch you want to face when you're on a bad run.

True, there's stuff to fix. The losses to Wednesday and Plymouth look even more annoying given those two are among the only four teams above us; even holding them to draws woulda put us third now. I still think Evatt - despite the scurrilous 'gambling' accusation - is risk-averse and slow to show his hand with subs, making too few too late for my liking; yes it worked today, but it could've worked 10 minutes earlier.

But the forwards are starting to score and the sheets are staying clean - always a good combo. We now have a fortnight off, barring Tuesday's Pizza Cup game which should give solid opportunity for some underused players to step out of the shadows – Aimson, Toal, John, Sheehan, Morley, Sadlier, Isgrove, Dapo, Bod, Baka - and maybe a first peek at Owen Beck too, perhaps along with one or two B teamers if it's going well. No bad thing.

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Good win, looking ahead of the curve on the like for like games against the same teams (or nearest equivalent) versus last year. 17 points vs 11 points.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:39 pm

The opposition had no shots on target for the second consecutive match.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:55 pm

I thought we completely deserved the win. First thirty they were the better side. They didn’t create anything but still I didn’t feel comfortable. Towards the end of the first half we got on top and had a great chance that Bradley should have scored.

Second half we continued in the ascendancy and Iredale should have scored and Dempsey fluffed his lines in the box too.

We were comfortably on top but missed our chances. After we made the subs I felt the games was petering our into a bit of a frustrating 0-0 until we got a huge stroke of luck to hand us the points our performance deserved.

Resolute against a physical side who definitely are as cynical as they come.

I have to say that MJ and GT are a revelation in midfield. Against a very physical and combative side they ran the game second half. I could wax lyrical about how good they both were but seriously you will go a long way to see a centre midfield play as well as they did. Brilliant. I’d say Morley has to show the same running and work off the ball as GT does if he is to get back in.

Strange game at times as Dapo was shocking when he came on then got the luck to win it for us.

I thought today Bradley and Charles were a bit off on the ball and that was primarily why we struggled at times to break them down. Iredale had the oddest game I can remember. Looked a pub player then majestic.

It’s a game we absolutely would have lost last season. And it shows progress.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:08 pm

I thought that when Charles got his penalty last time out it would boost him he showed lots of endeavour today but little end product. Confidence is low.
GT Is a revelation at the moment very mature performance, a they shall not pass attitude. Iredale was poor IMO, and Baka is way too inconsistent he's either crap or very crap.
As others have said we would have lost that game in the past so in that respect a fantastic result. One final comment, I do wish we would shoot more instead of trying to walk the ball in.
Look forward to Oct which promises some very winnable fixtures.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.