Handball ref? V Cheltenham away, 4th Oct, 7.45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Handball ref? V Cheltenham away, 4th Oct, 7.45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:40 am

Cheltenham (according to cocker) love to get their hands on the ball, but it's for the long-throw reputation that got them promoted to this division (For anyone who can be bothered, this is a bit interesting) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waW11AbQYt8

No doubt Mr Evatt and co are well aware of all about opponents and not foolish enough to take anything for granted, but this would be a very useful away win. 20 points plays 11 can soon get reduced with a bad result and banana skins are a -plenty in this league.
Team selection is just a guessing game for me, but here's hoping for a clean sheet and our front lads on form. Okay, take it away... :oyea:

p.s Alfie May is reported injured, genuine, or miracle recovery?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Handball ref? V Cheltenham away, 4th Oct, 7.45.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:58 am

May was stretchered off for what appeared to be either an ankle or achilles injury. I'm almost certain he won't be playing tomorrow. He's their biggest goal threat, so his absence is definitely a good thing for us but we'll not be taking them lightly.

1 goal wins it I reckon. Hope it's us!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 pm

One thing clear already this season is there is precious little margin for error. The top 8 aren’t likely to make too many slips. Falling even 4 or 5 points off the top 6 pace might be too much to make up in a division that looks pretty split and like the points totals for success will mirror those of last season.

It makes games like this must wins really. Which sounds ridiculous but just how things look.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 pm
One thing clear already this season is there is precious little margin for error. The top 8 aren’t likely to make too many slips. Falling even 4 or 5 points off the top 6 pace might be too much to make up in a division that looks pretty split and like the points totals for success will mirror those of last season.

It makes games like this must wins really. Which sounds ridiculous but just how things look.
5 of the top 6, in the table, this time last year, were in it at the end...Sheff Wed making the "big move" and Plymouth just dropping out...we were 7th....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:44 pm

I suppose squad depth has got to come into soon - what cover do Plymouth, Ipswich etc have for key players? I think we would be ok unless we lost Bradley or Traf for long spells.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:00 pm

Barnsley are 6th on ppg at the moment and would end up with 83 points which is about bang on for last year.

I think we're slightly ahead of the curve at the moment in that we've played 4 of the other top 8 after 10 games. Next few months will tell us where we're at but I'm quietly optimistic. We look v solid at the back, and I think there are more goals in that attack.

Just wrap Bradley and particularly Traf in cotton wool/hope young men can keep up the consistency. We'd be weaker without Bradley, but there's probably enough cover that it wouldn't be a disaster. Dixon on the other hand? Christ. I'd be sticking Gilks on a fitness plan just in case.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:00 pm
Barnsley are 6th on ppg at the moment and would end up with 83 points which is about bang on for last year.

I think we're slightly ahead of the curve at the moment in that we've played 4 of the other top 8 after 10 games. Next few months will tell us where we're at but I'm quietly optimistic. We look v solid at the back, and I think there are more goals in that attack.

Just wrap Bradley and particularly Traf in cotton wool/hope young men can keep up the consistency. We'd be weaker without Bradley, but there's probably enough cover that it wouldn't be a disaster. Dixon on the other hand? Christ. I'd be sticking Gilks on a fitness plan just in case.
Add MJ to that list too. Whatever anyone says we don’t have a player who can offer what he does and the way we are playing he is critical again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:54 pm

No injury worries according to BN....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm

Bradley is due a rest to be fair. Sads will be the replacement wing back when it happens I guess! That will be a test to the hold against column.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm
Bradley is due a rest to be fair. Sads will be the replacement wing back when it happens I guess! That will be a test to the hold against column.
I wouldn’t bet against Isgrove regaining that spot. He works like a dog, which Evatt loves.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Good shout. Forgot about Izzy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:20 pm

Forgot to mention, full back Ryan Jackson is the current Toza long-throw replacement. He( going off you tube clips) is a danger we need to watch. Guard that back post.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:30 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:56 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm
I wouldn’t bet against Isgrove regaining that spot. He works like a dog, which Evatt loves.
Has Isgrove had enough minutes under his belt to be starting?

I'd not be surprised to see Dempsey or Morley in the starting line up.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:42 am

Most likely changes - Sad for Brad, Demps for Lee. Possibly Dapo for Kacha.

But Evatt said that three or four players’ running numbers were extraordinary on Saturday, so it may be that a surprise name or two is rolled to the bench - or even out the squad; Evatt again noted he had half a dozen first-teamers in the stands on Saturday. He may be wanting to rotate his bench a little to keep folk involved.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am

I think (hope) JDB will start, he looked sharp.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:12 am

Eyes on the Plymouth v Sheffield Wed game tonight.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:42 am
Most likely changes - Sad for Brad, Demps for Lee. Possibly Dapo for Kacha.

But Evatt said that three or four players’ running numbers were extraordinary on Saturday, so it may be that a surprise name or two is rolled to the bench - or even out the squad; Evatt again noted he had half a dozen first-teamers in the stands on Saturday. He may be wanting to rotate his bench a little to keep folk involved.
JDB will be the man to take Kachunga’s place for a game like this. Not Dapo. Fairly sure of that.

I also can’t see Evatt picking Sadlier even though I’d agree that Bradley could do with a rest. But I think away from home Evatt who seems reluctant to play Sads won’t do it.

Dempsey for Lee is a given.

I wonder if he’s tempted to play Baka and JDB today given Cheltenham are an aerial test at times and having more height might be an advantage? Also gives Charles a rest.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:48 am

Unless he thinks Cheltenham have specific threat that Lincoln didn't have, then there wouldn't be a tactical reason to change the team, He might go with some additional height in defence for "long throw" competition - so maybe Aimson comes in for Geth?

Can't really judge "who might need a rest" as I didn't get to see Saturday, but just recently, we've not been making 4 changes a game...Bradley played the most part of 2 games during the internationals, so I could see, given some comments, that he might be due. Charles played roughly 1 game, so might not be a needful as Bradley.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 am

Starting Baka basically never works though, right? The only times he's been effective for us are when he's come on as sub. He's generally not that good, so I don't think should be starting matches we need to win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Charles needs a rest, so personally I'd be tempted to go with JDB and Dapo, or JDB and Sads, but both combinations are probably quite unlikely, especially the latter.

I mentioned Izzy as being the longer term back-up to Bradley, but it sounds as though he'll be featuring for our B team today, so if Bradley is indeed flagging then perhaps Sadlier will get a chance at rwb, although as Insano mentioned, Evatt doesn't seem to trust him too much.

Looking forward to watching this one, but can certainly see it being a nervy, close game. Hopefully we can nick a 1-0 and keep rolling on.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:32 pm

No Toal in the B team squad suggests he’ll be involved tonight or is injured.