Down in the Forest, something stirred..V. Forest Green away, 8-11-22. 3-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Down in the Forest, something stirred..V. Forest Green away, 8-11-22. 3-O'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:54 pm

Hope it's us doing the stirring. Might as well get an early start to obliterate the dismal performance of Tuesday and get away from Gloucestershire for a while. Doctor Foster learned a lesson down there many moons ago. Forest Green are dwelling way down the table, but we surely need to take naught for granted and blowing trumpets is best left to Wingates Brass Band. Let's get back to winning ways. What did Mr Evatt learn from it all and what will he do to get back on track. The next thrilling instalment starts at The New Lawn Stadium Saturday. To be continued.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Down in the Forest, something stirred..V. Forest Green away, 8-11-22. 3-O'clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:49 pm

I would be stunned if Bradley wasn't back (barring injury), so you'd expect Jones to return to the right of the three. :-) Which leaves us with just one side to discuss..

I'm not sure I saw anything from the subs that screamed "start me" - which given the strong bench we perceive was a bit of a worry.

Strangely, in Evatt's post-match presser, the interviewer (who never misses an op to praise Dapo), praised Dapo for his contribution, when he came on, which Evatt agreed with. Not sure I noticed much difference TBH.

I'd be inclined to start with the team that started nearly all the games in our little winning run, unless John has had a road to Damascus moment, in which case I might switch Iredale for John.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Down in the Forest, something stirred..V. Forest Green away, 8-11-22. 3-O'clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:44 am

On the basis I don’t think we’ll switch from 352, I would bring John in for Iredale, Bradley in for Aimson, Morley in for Thomason, Lee in for Dempsey.

I wouldn’t be adverse to a 433 with Dapo and Sadlier starting alongside Charles up top but I can’t see it happening. It’s definitely something we need in our locker for games like Tuesday though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:12 am

The team for tomorrow:

Trafford.
Williams Santos.
Dapo. Bradley.
Charles/Bod.

Give the hat a good shake before picking the rest.

Oh, and COME ON YOU WHITES

:oyea: :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:44 am
On the basis I don’t think we’ll switch from 352, I would bring John in for Iredale, Bradley in for Aimson, Morley in for Thomason, Lee in for Dempsey.

I wouldn’t be adverse to a 433 with Dapo and Sadlier starting alongside Charles up top but I can’t see it happening. It’s definitely something we need in our locker for games like Tuesday though.
I get most of these - the one I'm missing out on is Morley for Thomo? Why?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Same for me. I don’t think MJ or Thomason hit their top levels midweek but they were far from the worst performers. When Morley came on I thought midfield looked worse tbh.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:38 am

Somewhat Jekyll and Hyde at the moment. Given our performance in the last match i'm expecting this to be more Jekyll and less Hyde.

Google suggests that the pitch size at FGR is smaller than Whaddon Road so we may end up having the same problems. However, we've had the majority of the week to analyse and work on it.

Main thing is we work on those commitment levels and work rate. Too many failed to live up to expectations, almost as if heads dropped and we felt sorry for ourselves. We need a marker down for pushing for title winning form like we had in the 2nd half of the 2020/21 season. Anything less and I feel we'll end up struggling to make significant headway.

Lets hope it was a blip. 1 defeat after 4 wins. We've still got work to do but its not as bad as it seems at the minute.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:35 am
Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Same for me. I don’t think MJ or Thomason hit their top levels midweek but they were far from the worst performers. When Morley came on I thought midfield looked worse tbh.
I thought they were run ragged defensively. Thomo would have been my MOTM, tied with Traff. He made a number of absolutely crucial tackles/interceptions and one superb goal line clearance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

1) I think we need to make some serious changes from Tuesday - to show the squad they can’t rest on their laurels and nobody (almost nobody) is droppable.
2) I thought GT was poor Tuesday, he made a few good defensive blocks and tackles but didn’t show for the ball from the centre backs and didn’t offer anything going forwards.
3) he’s played twice this week and the team wants freshening up anyway.
4) I’m still not sold on him being the answer in midfield - I get particularly for tougher opponents it’s good to have two ball winners in the middle, hopefully for FGR we can express ourselves a bit more and Morley is the better footballer (at the moment).
5) FGR won’t be expecting a change.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:49 pm

Cheltenham performance sounds calamitous but folk seem averse to making many changes – Bradley aside. To accommodate that, I think we'd all expect Jones to replace Aimson at RCB. Most would prefer the now-default midfield of MJ/Thomo/Lee. It'd be a surprise to drop Charles, and most folk want Bod in (although it should be noted we won three on the bounce with Kacha starting, then looked sluggish without him).

So where do the changes come? Not like John's banging down the door to replace Iredale. Wasn't even sub on Tuesday. Might we see Beck? FGR play wingbacks too so he shouldn't be doubled up on. They're also demonstrably one of the league's worst teams - then again Cheltenham were nobody's title favourites either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:49 pm
Not like John's banging down the door to replace Iredale. Wasn't even sub on Tuesday.
Exactly. Summat's gone on here - must've done. Iredale was so clearly off the pace on Saturday that to play him again without even having John on the bench (Evatt said we're completely injury free) was almost criminal.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:16 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:49 pm
Not like John's banging down the door to replace Iredale. Wasn't even sub on Tuesday.
Exactly. Summat's gone on here - must've done. Iredale was so clearly off the pace on Saturday that to play him again without even having John on the bench (Evatt said we're completely injury free) was almost criminal.
Beck was on the bench instead of John; with a full squad, we wouldn't have two LWBs on the bench. Still, some slide for Dec, who was our joint-top assister last season with 7. Then again, Iredale's already got 4 assists, although he got one apiece against Crewe and Salford.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:59 pm

Gonna come back to this. The club were open to offers for John over the summer. That’s what I heard and think I said on here over summer that was the case.

I think something has gone on. Be it a fall out or more likely John wanting away for a personal reason.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:59 pm
Gonna come back to this. The club were open to offers for John over the summer. That’s what I heard and think I said on here over summer that was the case.

I think something has gone on. Be it a fall out or more likely John wanting away for a personal reason.
If that's the case (and there's nothing to say it is), I' d back length of contract as an issue?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:50 am

" Awake, for morning in the bowl of night, has cast the stone that puts the stars to flight." Nothing like a bit of Khayyam to start the day.. :D .

It's a weekend for winners: The English girls beat the World Champions (the Yanks) at football , English girls tanked Fiji at rugby, both yesterday, so all we need is for the Super Whites to make the treble down in the Forest. No doubt a few more than us will be watching this result and a bit more than just a win is expected (although we'll take it gift wrapped or no). Nothing wrong with our intent, just a bit of care in both defence and taking chances. Always take care in the Forest because...

"What's fuzzy, green, has six legs and could kill you if it fell out of a tree?...A Snooker Table.

COME ON YOU WHITES....... :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:50 am
" Awake, for morning in the bowl of night, has cast the stone that puts the stars to flight." Nothing like a bit of Khayyam to start the day.. :D .
Was he the chap who liked the razor that much he bought the company?

Beautiful, sunny morning in Gloucestershire this morning. Lots of friendly locals. Fingers crossed their team is as accomodating. Feels like this could be a pivotal match in our season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:00 am

Vicktor Khyaam or some such.

NVM...thought the question was "who was the man" etc...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:46 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am

Beautiful, sunny morning in Gloucestershire this morning. Lots of friendly locals.
I hear they keep a sensational cellar #fredandrose
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:46 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Beautiful, sunny morning in Gloucestershire this morning. Lots of friendly locals.
I hear they keep a sensational cellar #fredandrose
:lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:50 am
Was he the chap who liked the razor that much he bought the company?

Omar, not Victor H.G. (12th century Persian poet doctor and philosopher) :D