There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:12 pm

Well, during the miner's strike, Barnsley allowed a load of donkey-jacketed NUM members in fer nowt..... with hilarious masonry-chucking consequences :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:01 pm

This is a great match thread. So good I read it 4 times! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Anyone know what happened when Barnsley let the NUM in for free?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Just to let you know Bruce; I deleted the repeat posts.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:05 pm

TBF, I've seen a fair few chunks of masonry fly from the Paddock to the Embankment and vice versa. Suppose some of 'em paid for the privilege.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:37 pm
Anyone know what happened when Barnsley let the NUM in for free?
Well, I'll tell you :D

They were playing Blackburn and a mate of mine (BR STH) went.

As mentioned, Barnsley let striking members of the NUM in for nowt.

Whilst there, Blackburn supporters dreamt up a wee ditty which they all joined in with.

"There's a tavern in the town (in the town)
Arthur Scargill is a clown (is a clown)
Nottingham's miners, they've gone back to work
Yorkshire's pits are shutting down (shutting down)"

Cue puce of face coal miners attempting to rip fencing down, lob masonry etc. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:40 pm

Time for some Barnsley comments on team and forecasts? Come on you Whites.... :oyea:

From B.N. https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ley-clash/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:09 pm

What has been clearly missing in the last couple of games is "We'll shit 'em"...

Job done.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:50 pm

Evatts pre match quotes are interesting - don’t expect a change in formation or style - it’s just in the box we are lacking. Their boss was at the Cheltenham game I think - different pitch and different game for them at our place but I think we can guess how they will set up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:50 pm
Evatts pre match quotes are interesting - don’t expect a change in formation or style - it’s just in the box we are lacking. Their boss was at the Cheltenham game I think - different pitch and different game for them at our place but I think we can guess how they will set up.
Those comments from Evatt are a reversion back to his old self ‘I don’t like at criticism much but I’ve seen some and…’

Ok. You obviously do look at it and don’t like it.

His point about people asking for a plan B isn’t that anyone expects us to change our style. But one might argue that his point we aren’t scoring at the rate our xG suggests we could is why people are saying we should maybe change our system in some games to get people more likely to score like Dapo and Sadlier into positions on the pitch where they are more likely to score.

Nobody wants us to hoof it but our system is primarily advantageous to let two strikers be on the pitch without being outnumbered in midfield or too wide open. That works when said strikers are scoring. But as ours aren’t the system from an attacking point of view means we aren’t when teams play a ‘low block’ as Evatt likes to say looking like we can score many goals. Because we don’t have a natural way to open a team up and even when we do we tend to miss the chances. And our most natural or likely goalscorer is probably Sadlier and Dapo can score individual goals that the other strikers likely won’t if he’s played in a front three.

I don’t mind the system but it clearly didn’t work in those two games with what we had out there. And again a more attacking direct wing back who stretches teams and puts quality into the box might make it work away against more defensive minded teams. But we don’t have one of those unless Beck eventually offers that option down the left. So we went sideways and backwards too much.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:16 pm
But we don’t have one of those unless Beck eventually offers that option down the left. So we went sideways and backwards too much.
Not something our opponents tend to do. This league isn't a Roberto Baggio and Francisco Totti La Ligua model, it's a savage place where faint heart never won the points and attack is the watchword. A win here would make a big difference to attitude, I'm sure. So........get stuck in...give us something to cheer. .COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am

"Awake, for morning in the bowl of night has cast the stone that puts the stars to flight!"

Roughly translated into Lancashire dialect, means, "Wakey, wakey,' it's Saturday and time to switch the floodlights on and thunderclap the stars of the Unibol to victory" or summat.. :lol:

COME ON YOU WHITES...! A hard won 2-1 to us. Anything better gladly received. :oyea: :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:57 pm

Just setting off now. Not fussed about selections or formations, just win lads. Just bloody win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:09 pm

Dapo starts, behind Charles and Bod.

Gravdigger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gravdigger » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am
"Awake, for morning in the bowl of night has cast the stone that puts the stars to flight!"

Roughly translated into Lancashire dialect, means, "Wakey, wakey,' it's Saturday and time to switch the floodlights on and thunderclap the stars of the Unibol to victory" or summat.. :lol:

COME ON YOU WHITES...! A hard won 2-1 to us. Anything better gladly received. :oyea: :oyea:
“Wakey, wakey, yon! It’s Satdy an’ time for t’ switch floodleets on an’ thunderclap t’ stars of t' Unibol ter victry. Gerragate lads an' COYWM!” :roll: 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Gravdigger wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:18 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am

“Wakey, wakey, yon! It’s Satdy an’ time for t’ switch floodleets on an’ thunderclap t’ stars of t' Unibol ter victry. Gerragate lads an' COYWM!” :roll: 8)
Okay, correction accepted. :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:28 pm

Liking the look of the front battalion. Be good to score early. :oyea:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:45 pm

No defenders or keeper on the bench. Brave.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:46 pm

Or stupid.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:56 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:46 pm
Or stupid.
Has to be risky as we can't play them all.