There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:18 pm
Yeah he's Pepped it again there. You're flying, they're struggling. Why change?
Was less to comment on bizarre decisions from Pep and more to highlight that even the best players in the world struggle in this system if they aren’t designed to play it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:24 pm

Hope Evatt is watching this because it’s a carbon copy of all our issues going forward in this system.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:35 pm

TBF, Liverpool have defended pretty well there. Not sure Pep will be throwing any babies out with bathwater. Great game

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:35 pm
TBF, Liverpool have defended pretty well there. Not sure Pep will be throwing any babies out with bathwater. Great game
City don’t normally play a back three. He changed as he often does at Liverpool and it doesn’t work as just about everything he does there seems to not work.

But Cheltenham, FGR and Barnsley defended pretty well against us too. The problem is that the system as Pru will say leaves you without high width and it means your spare players are your wide centre halves. Drop in let those centre halves have it and the try and hit on the break. It’s very hard in the system to break teams down doing that. Because in a 433 city’s full backs become the spare players on the overlap and are dangerous. You force Liverpool to double up.

In a 3 at the back you leave the wing backs to play triangles with the midfield players and centre backs and your main attacking threat is one of those triangles getting you in behind. But it’s predictable. And you lose the ability for your wide attacking players to cut inside open up space on the outside or have a shot.

The 3 at the back system works when teams leave space in behind and your wing backs can exploit that and you have two strikers who also benefit from that space. It also works when your wing backs are that good that they can consistently go past a player and put delivery in. We’ve seen cancelo, one of the worlds best full backs look an absolute mug being asked to play a role he just doesn’t work in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:53 pm

Only just had chance to skim read posts.
Not sure how anyone can blame strikers for misfiring if they aren't given any ammo.
Dreadful balls into (or over) the box, corners which either hit the first defender's bollocks or sail over everyone, and embarrassing set-pieces.
Best summed up with a free kick we were awarded in the 2nd half, 25 yards out and right of centre. Afolayan and Iredale both stood over it. I'm thinking - I can see what's going to happen here - Afolayan with a right footed outswinger away from the keeper, Our lot to run in and get a rug on it - header past a flat-footed keeper and 1-0. What actually happened was that Iredale hit a pathetic left-footed in swinger which their keeper didn't even need to move a muscle to collect in his midriff.
Utterly pathetic. Their gamesmanship isn't anything we can change, set pieces most certainly are. For feck's sake, Evatt, wake up!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:53 pm
Not sure how anyone can blame strikers for misfiring if they aren't given any ammo.
Dreadful balls into (or over) the box, corners which either hit the first defender's bollocks or sail over everyone, and embarrassing set-pieces.
Best summed up with a free kick we were awarded in the 2nd half, 25 yards out and right of centre. Afolayan and Iredale both stood over it. I'm thinking - I can see what's going to happen here - Afolayan with a right footed outswinger away from the keeper, Our lot to run in and get a rug on it - header past a flat-footed keeper and 1-0. What actually happened was that Iredale hit a pathetic left-footed in swinger which their keeper didn't even need to move a muscle to collect in his midriff.
Utterly pathetic. Their gamesmanship isn't anything we can change, set pieces most certainly are. For feck's sake, Evatt, wake up!

In fairness Charles did miss a couple of decent chances. Bod missed a half chance. We aren’t creating loads but we weren’t the end of last season either it’s just the strikers were in form and covered it up.

Agree entirely on set pieces. Dapo’s weren’t good. Iredale wildly inconsistent and Morley’s when he came on were completely disgracefully poor.

We should be spending all week working on set pieces because the way we play we win a lot of them and yet we look more likely to concede from our own corners than we do to score. And don’t get me started on the lower league lumberer who towers over everyone yet can’t get his bonce onto an attacking set play for love nor money.

Someone said on the way out yesterday we aren’t set up all the differently to the Parky promotion side second half of the season except we’ve got no postman and never score from set pieces. If we had someone who can cross like Morais and scored from corners and free kicks we’d be absolutely fine.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:15 pm

In fairness Charles did miss a couple of decent chances. Bod missed a half chance. We aren’t creating loads but we weren’t the end of last season either it’s just the strikers were in form and covered it up.

Better strikers than ours miss chances. I've never been a fan of "off with his head" because the same guys may be the next match winners. They need encouraging not blaming. Barnsley missed a couple too didn't they, and even Harland will have patches. Be patient.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Agree entirely on set pieces. Dapo’s weren’t good. Iredale wildly inconsistent and Morley’s when he came on were completely disgracefully poor.

We should be spending all week working on set pieces because the way we play we win a lot of them and yet we look more likely to concede from our own corners than we do to score. And don’t get me started on the lower league lumberer who towers over everyone yet can’t get his bonce onto an attacking set play for love nor money.

Someone said on the way out yesterday we aren’t set up all the differently to the Parky promotion side second half of the season except we’ve got no postman and never score from set pieces. If we had someone who can cross like Morais and scored from corners and free kicks we’d be absolutely fine.
F*ck's sake. The "lower league lumberer" won pretty much every one on one yesterday. The issue with set pieces is delivery - he can't get his head on any if they don't beat the first man.

But don't let any of those facts get in the way of your your blatant and inexplicable bias.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

F*ck's sake. The "lower league lumberer" won pretty much every one on one yesterday. The issue with set pieces is delivery - he can't get his head on any if they don't beat the first man.

But don't let any of those facts get in the way of your your blatant and inexplicable bias.
He’s been here three seasons, in memory he’s headed about three of our attacking corners and only one went on target. The lads 6’4 for Christ sakes. Delivery is poor but even so he’s an absolute dwarf in the opponents box. He’s massively and grossly overrated and I will stand by my view. It’s not bias, I just do not rate him at all. I only say what I see. He had little to do Saturday and his distribution was abysmal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:39 am

Aye but to the lower league lumberer point, he's part of the tightest defense in the league. Only one team has still conceded single figures. I think it'd be a bit churlish to blame Santos for our set-piece misfires, a bit like when we were leaking all over the shop this time last year, we didn't blame Eoin Doyle. That's not to say defenders shouldn't ever score from a set-piece, but I'm going to judge him on defending first and foremost.

At the other end, there's only Fleetwood scored fewer. It's a concern.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:43 am

100%. It would be a nice addition. But he's the captain and leader of the best defence.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:58 am

At least he's been promoted from a non-leaguer.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

He’s been here three seasons, in memory he’s headed about three of our attacking corners and only one went on target. The lads 6’4 for Christ sakes. Delivery is poor but even so he’s an absolute dwarf in the opponents box. He’s massively and grossly overrated and I will stand by my view. It’s not bias, I just do not rate him at all. I only say what I see. He had little to do Saturday and his distribution was abysmal.
Holding an opinion about someone and refusing to change in the face of overwhelming evidence? That's bias. Thanks for confirming.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:43 am
100%. It would be a nice addition. But he's the captain and leader of the best defence.
'Would be nice'? It's basically piss-poor that a professional footballer with a huge physical advantage is not making that advantage count, or even attempting to. He isn't even drawing defenders to allow space for others. And yes, defender or not, when it comes to set pieces, it is his job, or at the very least should be.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:44 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Holding an opinion about someone and refusing to change in the face of overwhelming evidence? That's bias. Thanks for confirming.
What evidence? I watch him every week. I see absolutely no evidence to suggest he’s the player people talk about. None. He’s sloppy and error prone. Not particularly good in possession either.

The defence has absolutely tightened up and this is good. Though I’d argue we’ve essentially put two grafting midfield players in which has made the biggest difference.

The problem is that you end up with internet hyperbole. I think he’s fine for league one. A top end league one side I’m less convinced about. Some think he’s worth millions and should be playing in the championship. He’s not close to that good in my view. For me it’s a view that he’s massively overrated. I know I’m not alone in that view either as I know some regular attendees who say exactly the same.

So yes we all get sucked into hyperbole. I think he’s probably top end of league two to top half league one level in reality but he’s lacking some key ingredients that for me are important especially the level up. Consistency. Reliability. And for me his distribution isn’t strong enough to justify the way he plays at times.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm
The problem is that you end up with internet hyperbole.
Quite.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm
The problem is that you end up with internet hyperbole.
Quite.
:mrgreen: