There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:54 pm

Lovely cross from Cadden.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: There's a Tavern in the Town - Arthur Scargill is a clown... Barnsley (H) 15/10/22

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:55 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 pm
I'm happy with the defensive solidity, but it looks like it'll be no goals scored in 3 games.
What's it been, two shots on target in that time?

Not quite working, is it? Not doing major drama, but that isn't all down the Thommo replacing Morley.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:55 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 pm
I'm happy with the defensive solidity, but it looks like it'll be no goals scored in 3 games.
What's it been, two shots on target in that time?
Zero at Cheltenham, two at FGR, one today so far.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:59 pm

Their guy has bought that free kick and the ref fell for it

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:01 pm

F—k Mike Duff and his tine-wasting long-throw bollocks.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:02 pm

Last throes of the game and lo and behold we play it all the way back to the goalkeeper. Attack FFS.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:05 pm

It's a long time since I saw a "passing" team so infrequqntly pass forward through its central midfielders.Even when we had Dempsey and Morley on, with Sads and Dapo and Kacha in front of them, we're too beholden to the patterns of play that demand we play to the outside centre-backs. We need more ideas. Too easy to play against and it's not working.

Against that - good defensively - but 0-0 is 1ppg.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:06 pm

Well that's another 90 mins of our lives wasted.

Same stuff as the last two games, thankfully they didn't score.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:01 pm
There isn't only one way to get a point. :-) Our Arsenal "looks pretty wins nowt" thing needs to translate into something better than "they're doing it wrong, it's unfair"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Same formation, same work rate, same end result. Urgh.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:08 pm
There isn't only one way to get a point. :-) Our Arsenal "looks pretty wins nowt" thing needs to translate into something better than "they're doing it wrong, it's unfair"
There's loads of ways to get a point. I never said it was unfair. I said f--k him, and on further reflection, I still say f--k him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Third time in three seasons Bolton have gone three games without scoring.

Last October (of course) we lost 0-1 at Wednesday, 0-4 home to Wigan and 0-3 in a Plymouth monsoon. The autumn before we lost Evatt's first three league games: 0-1 at home to FGR, 0-2 at Colchester, 0-2 home to Newport.

Evatt's running October results (league):
WDLDDWL / WLLLDL / WLLD
= Pl17 / W4 D5 L8 / 17pts / 1ppg

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:17 pm

3 games and not looked like scoring a goal.

Hugely concerning.

System is failing. Wing backs aren’t wing backs ever. Anyone who thinks Bradley offers even half the attacking threat Fossey did doesn’t have a clue.

We need to go to a back four. The system is failing.

It’s not just the system. The players in some instances are dreadful. Notably the front two. Awful. Charles a waste of space.

Nothing goes through midfield.

The system needs to change immediately.

Set pieces…don’t get me started. What does Evatt do all week?

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:42 pm

As others have noted, the centre of the park is a ghost town. Seem hell-bent on overloads on the wings, but it either gets stuck there, or if a ball is flashed across, as twice in the second half, the forwards look way off it. Thommo and MJ both had an effort on goal each and… Christ.

Don’t know if it’s me, but Charles’ instincts look bizarre at the moment—first minute being the exception. Takes too many touches when he’s neither the time nor space. Miss after miss in consecutive matches, too.

There were, however, a couple of occasions in the first half when both he and Bod were off the shoulder as Dapo had made space for them. Nobody brave enough to try the through-ball.

Frustrating watching at the moment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:08 pm
There's loads of ways to get a point. I never said it was unfair. I said f--k him, and on further reflection, I still say f--k him.
Quite. Anti football 0, it's just like watching Brazil 0.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:56 pm

The realism of October after a decent start.

0-0 was as good a result as we could get today, cos we were not scoring.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Hugely concerning.

System is failing. Wing backs aren’t wing backs ever. Anyone who thinks Bradley offers even half the attacking threat Fossey did doesn’t have a clue.

It’s not just the system. The players in some instances are dreadful. Notably the front two. Awful. Charles a waste of space.

We're 7th in the league and have the 2nd best defence in the entire EFL. It's not a complete failure.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hugely concerning.

We're 7th in the league and have the 2nd best defence in the entire EFL. It's not a complete failure.
After the panic of recent years, we're pretty good. 😊

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:16 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hugely concerning.

Defensively yes we look solid. And ideally you wouldn’t want to disrupt that. But we are a grim watch. Very very boring. And whilst I can live with boring if it gets results to not score in three and in truth barely have a decent effort on target in three is enough evidence that something needs to change.

I’ve said all along that three at the back to really work requires outstanding wing backs and that most of their ability had to be focussed on the attacking half. Bradley is an all round super player but lacks real quality in the final third. Iredale has superb delivery but lacks the pace and drive to be a wing back.

If we could score goals off set plays like a Parky side then again the way we are playing would be ok. But we must be at a record for number of corners to goals coming from them and not in a good way.

It’s not shambolic we are a bit of quality in the final third away. But I don’t think we will have a better squad than we have now in future seasons so really need to see us have a real tilt at promotion and for me we won’t if we look so flat in the final third. Even if we go back before this we won games with a stroke of luck rather than looking like knocking a few past a side.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:17 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:02 pm
Last throes of the game and lo and behold we play it all the way back to the goalkeeper. Attack FFS.
Unbelievably frustrating. They get a throw in on 90 minutes and try the launch into the box to win the game. We get a throw in the same position in their half in the last minute of injury time and go back to the feckin keeper. Arrghh!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"