Elland Yorkshire Puds at the Unibol. Home v Leeds Tues. 18th Oct. 7-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Elland Yorkshire Puds at the Unibol. Home v Leeds Tues. 18th Oct. 7-0'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:17 am

Strongest team and at em int cup, or...League first in mind? A great time to discover how to score against the Premier boys. Easy it won't be is for sure, but can we...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Elland Yorkshire Puds at the Unibol. Home v Leeds Tues. 18th Oct. 7-0'clock

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:29 am

Well Leeds U21 shunted 5 past Tranmere. I think I'd be giving some of the lads who've been warming the bench some game time, but they need to show they can deliver, when we do.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:01 am

Not a game to play Dixon!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:07 pm

Walking the ball into the net won't happen with Leeds. We need to shoot on sight a bit. Dad Bod, Charles and Dapo have all scored from shots and any which way but score will do. Nobody remembers how, just how many, so get the laces through the leather any way that hits the onion bag. Not getting beyond the first man with a corner is pub level and we're surely better than that. Mr Evatt seems to be looking for permutations of the middle being the solution when a "Go forth young man" policy might be better. Defence is good, clean sheets great, but not scoring nullifies both. We won't be expected to win this, so get in lads and ignore the form book. COME ON YOU WHITES..! ...FIGHT THE FIGHT.. :Jedi:

ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:29 am
Well Leeds U21 shunted 5 past Tranmere. I think I'd be giving some of the lads who've been warming the bench some game time, but they need to show they can deliver, when we do.
:laugh:
:shock:
:|

There are, again, LOADS of players who need minutes and need to prove they're worth more of them - Baka, Morley, Dempsey (largely usurped by Thomason), Aimson, plus Isgrove, Sheehan and Toal coming back from injuries to a greater or lesser extent. Could also do with assessing Beck, tho Declan John also needs minutes if available.

That said, the shadow XI was pants at Tranmere, so Evatt may play it more cautiously this time.

The Tranmere-Leeds game sounds... mad. Tranmere 2-0 up by 19 minutes, 3-2 down by 31, equalising in first-half injury time then ship another two in a tighter second half. Seven yellows, one red. Joe Gelhardt, who played 20 Prem games last season, scored two for them. But Leeds certainly conceded - from Tranmere's first two attacks, by their own site report.

Dixon.... oh God. I bet he plays and has a blinder...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:45 pm

We need to try something here. Different system. I want to see Sadlier play either in a front three or behind a striker.

We definitely need to have a look at some players and options. Baka needs a game. Aimson needs a game.

I’d like to see a 433 ideally.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:09 pm

Arguably the two Centre halves in a 433 would be Johnston and Aimson. Part of the problem with moving away from a 3 at the back I guess, no Rico.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:09 pm
Arguably the two Centre halves in a 433 would be Johnston and Aimson. Part of the problem with moving away from a 3 at the back I guess, no Rico.
For this game? We can try out a combination it’s not like it will involve all the first team. Santos could play with another in a back four the problem is more that the partner who would be ideal is the sort of reader of the game we really lack.

Johnston feels a little small to be a centre back in a back four.

The other problem is Jones is our most reliable defender for me and yet wouldn’t play in that system.

However, I think many games three at the back continues to work for. I just feel that Accrington will be like the last two away games where a back four and higher attacking width makes sense.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Feels like an audition to replace Bradley for Saturday - sounds like Isgrove is going to get a go.

For me Johnston has been our best Centre half despite the fact he’s under 6 foot. Iredale and Aimson feels a bit of a stretch even for this game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:59 pm

Hadn't realised it was Leeds Under 21's we play. ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Yup.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:48 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:32 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Yup.
We'll probably get the run around from a bunch of jet-heeled kids looking to be the new Mick Jones. :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Leeds U21s are top of their league table, with 6 wins and a draw from their 7 games (F25 A8).

That league is, however, the secondary tier for their age group. (In 2016 the U21 Premier League was somewhat stupidly renamed Premier League 2, so they're in Premier League 2 Division 2, which sounds more like a scoreline than a competition.) They're rivalling Norwich, Boro and WBA for promotion to the big boys' league with your Citys and Arsenals and Liverpools and Uniteds and Tottenhams and, er, Blackburns.

Since beating Tranmere 5-3 they've won 1-0 at Sunderland in an unusually low-scoring game for them. Since the season started they've won 5-2 at Derby, drawn 2-2 with Norwich, won 2-1 at Villa, then handsomely won three home games – Forest 5-1, Southampton 6-3, Stoke 4-0 - before scoring another 5 at Tranmere. Clearly scoring goals is not a problem, but then neither is preventing them apparently a priority.

Evatt is cautious: “They tend to put three or four first-team players into their young group. I think out of all the young teams that enter this competition, they’re probably the most senior group and they look to attack and progress. I think it's going to be a tough game for us. It will be a difficult game but we will pay them huge respect and hopefully put an end to this mini drought that we are on and start scoring goals again.”

The game is on iFollow, for a tenner, which is twice as expensive as being there. Whether you're watching live, via a screen or through your fingers, remember it's a seven o'clocker, cocker.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:23 pm

7 o clock - I’m out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Dixon, Jones, John, Sheehan, Bodvarsson, Iredale, Aimson, Morley, Dempsey, Isgrove, Kachunga.
Subs Johnston, Sadlier, Charles, Bakayoko, Lee, Bradley, Beck.

I assume:
...............Dixon...............
.....Jones, Aimson, Iredale.....
Isgrove, Morley, Dempsey, John
.............Sheehan...............
.....Kachunga, Bodvarsson.....
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:04 pm

Joel fecking Dixon

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:06 pm

Sadlier still can't get a start

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:04 pm
Joel fecking Dixon
Aye. But if he'd been dropped for a kid it would surely have utterly crushed him. I still think we should upgrade in January, although signing that sort of back-up keeper is usually easier in summer.
jmjhb wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:06 pm
Sadlier still can't get a start
If Bradley's suspended Saturday I think this means Sads is more likely to start then. With the exception of Jones, probably Iredale and possibly Bodvarsson, all this XI are less than 50% likely to start Saturday.

In case you're wondering - Trafford, Santos, MJ, Tomo and Dapo are the squad members completely rested. Toal, too, isn't in the 18, but that's not resting, it's presumably injury.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:21 pm

This is a banana skin fixture. Win and it'll be matching expectations, anything less and it'll be players in for a lot of criticism.

We've gone with a strong line up and bench against a Leeds U21 side.

Dixon
Isgrove Jones Iredale Aimson John
Sheehan Morley Dempsey
Bodvarsson Kachunga

Screw this cup for the inclusion of the U21 sides. No one wants a team to be considered worse than someone's youth team.

Hopefully we win and it's all good.

Dixon in net with no backup on the bench. Hopefully he has a decent game. He's due one thats for sure.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:26 pm

I think he’s auditioning Isgrove for Saturday. Probably right but I can’t imagine Sadlier is happy. Id of given him a go up top personally. I’ve seen enough to know what Kachunga is all about and it’s not goals.

As for Dixon in goals I’ve seen enough there as well! Trafford should be playing.