University Challenge. V Oxford, home 27-10 222. 3-0'clock.0-22

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: University Challenge. V Oxford, home 27-10 222. 3-0'clock.0-22

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm

He also said after yesterday that part of the reason he made lots of changes was Oxford are one of the hardest running teams in the league.

So he picked a midfield of MJ, Sheehan and Lee!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm
He also said after yesterday that part of the reason he made lots of changes was Oxford are one of the hardest running teams in the league.

So he picked a midfield of MJ, Sheehan and Lee!
Yeah of all the bad decisions that one trumps the lot. After ten minutes you could see how bad it was.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:57 am

Hmmmm. Mr Evatt sort of indicating the players were to blame. Sort of.....

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ed-defeat/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:57 am
Hmmmm. Mr Evatt sort of indicating the players were to blame. Sort of.....

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ed-defeat/
I mean he’s right there to an extent. The problem is when he talks ‘dark arts’ I fear he includes actually being competent at set pieces…which is something we clearly are not. And he simply hasn’t fixed this even though it’s been apparent for a long time that it’s a massive weakness.

I can go through a lot wrong with us - team shape, selection, lack of intent at both ends of the pitch, no leaders on the pitch, too passive, lack of chance creation and then goal scored, flimsy at the back when it matters, no ability to play through the midfield no matter how we setup, appalling final ball especially from the wing backs….

Saturday was the first game where you could genuinely say it’s worrying. Oxford without some of their better players in the bottom half and in an injury crisis we’re comfortably better than us all over the park. Not just that they were playing smash and grab and took their chances, they actually outplayed us and made us look ragged. I don’t think that’s happened apart from Sheffield Wednesday for a period this season. It’s worrying that Robinson had done his homework, and managed to so easily cause us major major issues. Now Evatt got it wrong in selection but you have to start asking questions about what is going on behind the scenes.

We should have been bouncing after the previous two wins yet looked as flat as pancakes. I have to say on Saturday we looked a disjointed and unhappy bunch of players. Whether that’s down to the roles they are being asked to play, some turmoil behind the scenes or just one of those awful days who knows. But it goes on top of what has been a poor month. And bar two miracle turnarounds could have been disastrous and season ending….

I don’t think the problems start and end with the system or selection. But that definitely is an issue. A big one. But the back three don’t work that well as a unit. On the ball they’ve become progressively less progressive. Jones and Johnston stopped taking space and started playing the easy ball and then not making the overlapping runs, Santos slows the game down and then tries the Hollywood pass that works about one in twenty goes. The wingbacks who aren’t wingbacks have definitely been found out. Bradley doesn’t have the attacking quality to play the role unless there is a left sided who compensates and Iredale can barely run he’s so exhausted from playing a role he’s clearly I’ll equipped for. Then we put Dapo there…I said in the summer without wing backs the system fails and that’s exactly what is happening.

Sheehan came in and looked like a lost little boy unable to do anything and he and Lee left MJ abandoned rather like the same time period last season where a midfield of non entities left MJ with way too much to do. And the rationale for playing Sheehan who is totally useless off the ball puzzled me. Oxford are ‘good at movement through midfield’ so we left out Dempsey or GT for a lad who hasn’t played and is not strong enough to deal with a side who play through there…bizarre.

We also have stopped pressing teams effectively. The press is now one or two players and not backed up by the rest of the team and if you watch the back three they are dragging the team backwards. Which means we are trying to play in bigger areas and consequently losing the ball.

I don’t know what this is all happening but often it’s simply explanations…like players are a bit naffed off and the spirit isn’t right in the camp…end of the day even though it’s the wrong system I think for what we’ve got there were bigger issues on display Saturday.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:48 pm

Having read the thread, not much more for me to add. When I saw the starting team I too was shocked. The Bench had our best players warming it, yet we had no midfield to stop anything coming through it. Up front, we had the 2 worst forwards on current form starting. I wondered why Evatt was playing games with the team. Didn't he want to win a football game, was he overconfident given our wins recently despite playing poorly, or did he just want to give players game time to build confidence. Well I hope that works for Charles now that he has put one in because I have not been impressed with him. And Dapo at LWB?? Give me a break. Our most creative player in a side without creativity, and that's where you play him to "fit" in a system which is not working. And Sadlier.. our most direct attacking player cant get a game. Come on Evatt.. wake up and don't let this happen again. Give us a chance with your selection. Start the games with the best players on the pitch and stop experimenting and play a system that fits the best players you have, and not the other way around.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:50 pm

Hear, hear.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:48 pm

I blame Fossey.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:50 am

Been a whip since I have seen so much agreement on a match thread! 😳

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:24 am

We may, with a little ( lot of ) luck actually achieve promotion this season, or at least make the play-offs. Should we fail in either, I have a feeling that the Forest Green, Cheltenham and Oxford period will be remembered with regret, more-so because they were all so winnable. "For want of a nail" etc....We really do need to get a grip very soon Mr Evatt.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?