CAM on you Whites. Away to Cambridge United, Sat 12th Nov 3 o'clock .

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tykes on bikes. V Barnsley at home. Sat 5th Nov.22 . 2 0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:31 am

From Bolton News...

"Wanderers game at Cambridge United this weekend will be officiated entirely by members of the military."

Attention..! :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:31 am
From Bolton News...

"Wanderers game at Cambridge United this weekend will be officiated entirely by members of the military."

Ha. Let's see how many of his little tirades Evatt's prepared to dole out onto the officials this time then. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
From Bolton News...

I work with the guy who's head of RAF refereeing. I'll see if he can have a quiet word with Daz Drysdale, the man in the middle on Sat :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

CAM on you Whites. Away to Cambridge United, Sat 12th Nov 3 o'clock .

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 am

Too long with no football talk. In a sparse period of games, it's up the river Cam to the Abbey stadium and the august college of knowledge we go, come Saturday, to see if we've done our homework. Will our own headmaster put aside doing his lines and send out our head boys instead of dunces to take on the collegians or will it be another trip back to the drawing board? In short, have we learned anything? Mobile phones away, and out with the quills and pens then, and cast your pearls of wisdom. (school bell rings) :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:14 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
From Bolton News...

I work with the guy who's head of RAF refereeing. I'll see if he can have a quiet word with Daz Drysdale, the man in the middle on Sat :D
Just send them a picture of us in our away kit and tell them everything else is "enemy"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: CAM on you Whites. Away to Cambridge United, Sat 12th Nov 3 o'clock .

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:24 am

I have no notion of what formation nor team we're going to play here. When we're winning, no one probably cares too much, at the moment, it's getting plenty of focus. Will be delighted if IE can find some sort of answer. They look to me more fragile than us at the moment with 4 losses in the last 5 and a draw against Curzon Ashton in the FA cup hardly set the world alight...

At this juncture, I'd be happy with any sort of win! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:40 am

I've had to move some posts relevant to this game from comments on the Barnsley thread. Please take it from here..

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:33 pm

When we played this fixture last season, we were in that early spell when we controlled games, dominated possession but frequently couldn't turn the dominance into goals and kept leaving the back door open.

I've not seen us be as dominant in any game since those early days yet the same problems remain. I like Evatt, I think we have a strong squad and I don't think we're a million miles away from promotion material, however I don't think we'll turn it round this Saturday.

1-2 defeat
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:43 pm

This is kind of where I am, too.

It's got the Forest Green feels about it. Tight ground, direct team who are in poor form. What better team to play than one that doesn't compete physically in midfield and is suffering with balls into the box.

You can go completely 'back to basics' against us when your chips are down.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:43 pm
This is kind of where I am, too.

It's got the Forest Green feels about it. Tight ground, direct team who are in poor form. What better team to play than one that doesn't compete physically in midfield and is suffering with balls into the box.

You can go completely 'back to basics' against us when your chips are down.
Back to basics may well be somewhere we should go ourselves. Leave a man, maybe M.J, on the back post and stop trying to be A.C.Milan. It's League one remember, not La Liga. Best answer against defensive is offensive.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:46 pm

Need to show some proper steel here. I’d probably go back to MJ and Thomason, probably with Dempsey. Sadlier and JDB up front, assuming it’s 352. Wonder if Beck might start at left wing back?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:12 pm

Wing back was much less mentioned till Marlon Fossey played there for us; the position was just full back. It's no new thing; Alf Ramsey used fast full backs long time ago with George Cohen and Ray Wilson given licence to break when they could, but a long time gripe of mine is the uncovered back post. This was always the job of he full backs, not being pulled out of position by man-marking wingers; that was he job of half-backs (now called defensive midfielders. But hey, Mr Evatt knows best.. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:12 pm
Wing back was much less mentioned till Marlon Fossey played there for us; the position was just full back. It's no new thing; Alf Ramsey used fast full backs long time ago with George Cohen and Ray Wilson given licence to break when they could, but a long time gripe of mine is the uncovered back post. This was always the job of he full backs, not being pulled out of position by man-marking wingers; that was he job of half-backs (now called defensive midfielders. But hey, Mr Evatt knows best.. :D
Sorry but the idea of wing backs isn’t new and hasn’t just been mentioned because of Fossey. In a back three you don’t have full backs. The modern wing back is not a new phenomenon. The problem with the three at the back system is your wing backs are the key ingredient to making it work and sadly we are trying to do it without any natural wing backs.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:40 am

I think you are harsh on Bradley. When he first came in he looked the business - as our best (only without DJ?) attacking outlet he’s been nullified, plus there’s a bit of burn out as well. To me he looks like a wing back. Think he even played on the wing for Northern Ireland! What isn’t working is the left hand side and for whatever reason Dec John has disappeared into thin air.

The argument for the system is to do with playing Sadlier and Dapo - arguably two of our players most likely to get / create goals. And it’s fair to say opponents have worked us out so we need to adapt. Some games 433, some a 3 at the back variation. We’ve got options in the squad.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:09 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:12 pm
Sorry but the idea of wing backs isn’t new and hasn’t just been mentioned because of Fossey. In a back three you don’t have full backs. The modern wing back is not a new phenomenon. The problem with the three at the back system is your wing backs are the key ingredient to making it work and sadly we are trying to do it without any natural wing backs.
I think I may have mentioned that but thanks for the lesson.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:37 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:40 am
I think you are harsh on Bradley. When he first came in he looked the business - as our best (only without DJ?) attacking outlet he’s been nullified, plus there’s a bit of burn out as well. To me he looks like a wing back. Think he even played on the wing for Northern Ireland! What isn’t working is the left hand side and for whatever reason Dec John has disappeared into thin air.

The argument for the system is to do with playing Sadlier and Dapo - arguably two of our players most likely to get / create goals. And it’s fair to say opponents have worked us out so we need to adapt. Some games 433, some a 3 at the back variation. We’ve got options in the squad.
I think there is a big difference between being an attacking full back and a wing back especially as you say our only real outlet given we’ve nothing on the left. But I don’t think he’s an out and out wing back in the sense that he works down the line well but delivery isn’t there, end product isn’t there. He’s a developing player for sure, but not the outlet you can just rely on in totality.

The thing is he gets a lot of the ball in the attacking third yet can’t produce a lot with it. And that means for me he’s not a natural wing back.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:37 am
officer_dibble wrote:

I think there is a big difference between being an attacking full back and a wing back especially as you say our only real outlet given we’ve nothing on the left. But I don’t think he’s an out and out wing back in the sense that he works down the line well but delivery isn’t there, end product isn’t there. He’s a developing player for sure, but not the outlet you can just rely on in totality.

The thing is he gets a lot of the ball in the attacking third yet can’t produce a lot with it. And that means for me he’s not a natural wing back.

The difference between his and Sadlier's deliveries into the penalty area is stark.

Starting Sadlier brings its own problems but I think we have to try and take advantage of what he offers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Allegedly, England's first match v Scotland, we played 118 to their 226. Gotta be worth a shot (mind offside wasn't a thing)..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

The difference between his and Sadlier's deliveries into the penalty area is stark.

Starting Sadlier brings its own problems but I think we have to try and take advantage of what he offers.
I don’t think Sadlier if we are being honest can really play wing back, certainly not left wing back and not away from home. Maybe on the right at home he could.

It comes back to not having players suited to the back four at centre back vs needing to get Sadlier on the pitch on the right and Dapo in his arguably best role on the left.

I’m not really sure how as every system seems to bring problems. We are working round issues and really need to find a way to solve them.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:59 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I don’t think Sadlier if we are being honest can really play wing back, certainly not left wing back and not away from home. Maybe on the right at home he could.

It comes back to not having players suited to the back four at centre back vs needing to get Sadlier on the pitch on the right and Dapo in his arguably best role on the left.

I’m not really sure how as every system seems to bring problems. We are working round issues and really need to find a way to solve them.

To be clear, I meant playing Sadlier further upfield rather than as a wing-back. Given Evatt's determination to play a formation which relies so heavily on wing-backs to provide the attacking impetus it amazes we seemed so relaxed about not really signing any during the summer.