January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 pm
Aimson’s communication and leadership improved the back three. His defensive concentration made us hard to break down. For me he’s a better defender than Santos. He doesn’t have the other qualities but we will need a properly experienced Will Aimson replacement ready to play at the heart of the defence.

Wish Will well. He’s been excellent here in the middle. Never a wide centre back but that’s not his fault.
I kind of agree with all that, with the caveat that he was communicating the wrong things against Derby.

I think Evatt saw the same thing in that game I did, which is that Aimson just can't defend in the way we want and so it was time to knock it on the head regardless of form.

Really good if he can camp in his 18 yard box and clear. Genuinely think he'll be really good for Exeter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:29 pm
Aimson’s communication and leadership improved the back three. His defensive concentration made us hard to break down. For me he’s a better defender than Santos. He doesn’t have the other qualities but we will need a properly experienced Will Aimson replacement ready to play at the heart of the defence.

Wish Will well. He’s been excellent here in the middle. Never a wide centre back but that’s not his fault.
I kind of agree with all that, with the caveat that he was communicating the wrong things against Derby.

I think Evatt saw the same thing in that game I did, which is that Aimson just can't defend in the way we want and so it was time to knock it on the head regardless of form.

Really good if he can camp in his 18 yard box and clear. Genuinely think he'll be really good for Exeter.
There were a lot of players who at derby couldn’t do what we needed them to that day. You’d ship Morley and Lee out based on that game.

He’s played 10 games and we weren’t sat deep in those. Anyway he asked to go and we’ve got money for him,

We now need to focus on the replacement for him and a wing back to cover now Sadlier has gone. Critical we get those two.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 pm

Wish Will well. Sorry to lose him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:00 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 pm
Ghost you seem confident that we will have a replacement for Aimson in by the time the window closes & in one of your posts it seemed quite apparent that you have an idea who it may be - would it be an upgrade on Aimson ?
I think we will be stronger than we have been, Bertie.

Given how wrong I was in December, though, not sure what my confidence at this stage is worth.

I think 2 more are likely to go and we'll get 3 in.

We'll see if that pans out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 pm
There were a lot of players who at derby couldn’t do what we needed them to that day. You’d ship Morley and Lee out based on that game.

He’s played 10 games and we weren’t sat deep in those. Anyway he asked to go and we’ve got money for him,

We now need to focus on the replacement for him and a wing back to cover now Sadlier has gone. Critical we get those two.
We're not going to get anywhere. Like you say, focus on his replacement.

Evatt and Markham are seeking to fix the problems I see and that pleases me. I hope results that please you follow on from that.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 pm

"Multiple clubs" have now joined us in the race to sign Devine apparently.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 pm
Aimson gone to Exeter 2 1/2 year contract
I'm intrigued as to who his superior replacement might possibly be?
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:35 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 pm
Might explain why no midfielders have left yet.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:35 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 pm
Might explain why no midfielders have left yet.

Sheehan?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
I don’t think we will be able to improve on Aimson. We will just be case of getting as decent a body as we can.

Think the player wanted to go and we were happy with the money rather than a free in the summer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm

Blimey, they like to keep us on our toes, eh?

Aimson I think turned into an excellent back-up and is certainly capable of doing very well for Exeter. Happy for him to get a starting League One gig, but it will be tough to replace him in the short term.

Shame about Sadlier, as he’s clearly a talented lad and was very obviously excited to move here, but he’s not a fit for us at present.

As neither were starters, I hope they’re replaced by younger players who will accept being reserves initially and who we can develop going forwards.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm

Three players we picked up for nothing, cumulatively sold for, at the very least, £750k. That’s not bad business.

Excited to see which other signings we get in before the window shuts. I’m pretty confident we’ll get at least two more in - another centre back and a wing back.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm
Think the player wanted to go
Said as much himself. Wanted to go before Jan, stayed on because he was playing/we needed him.

We should be grateful for his professionalism.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm

The_Gun wrote:
As neither were starters, I hope they’re replaced by younger players who will accept being reserves initially and who we can develop going forwards.
This is perfectly legitimate, and suits the business model. But I'd also accept the other side of the Prufrock Squad Churn Mechanism: improve the 1st team. Let's see who turns up. Fascinating time to be a Wanderer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm
The_Gun wrote:
This is perfectly legitimate, and suits the business model. But I'd also accept the other side of the Prufrock Squad Churn Mechanism: improve the 1st team. Let's see who turns up. Fascinating time to be a Wanderer.
Yes, but it seems unlikely we’d get an immediate upgrade on Santos, Toal or Johnston, and we need another centre back.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Agreed. Never been so riveted in a transfer window.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm
The_Gun wrote:
It's so interesting. There are multiple ways to look at it. Do you say, "Johnston and Toal have bene amazing and could be worth loads, so we just back them up" or do you try to improve and them and risk holding their development up? If you sign back up, do you want a journeyman who can come in like Aimson did and be really reliable? Do you sign more kids? Same goes for if you improve....experience or youth?

This is why people get paid good money to make these calls and why so many get them wrong.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Accepting that Toal-Rico-Johnston is our first choice back three now, and that Jones is first alternate, I doubt that we'll be looking for a permanent defensive signing if the bloke is only going to be 5th choice at best. Unless it's the ghost of Bobby Moore or something.

Happy to get a body, almost any body, in for that position. Youngsters on loan welcome.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:04 pm

If there are going to be more outgoings I personally think that Sheehan and Isgrove must be a tad nervous round about now.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
I don’t think we will be able to improve on Aimson. We will just be case of getting as decent a body as we can.

Think the player wanted to go and we were happy with the money rather than a free in the summer.
I'd be amazed if we can replace Aimson even on a like for like.

Thought he'd done enough recently to warrant at least a shout of a spot, and perhaps curtail his desire for a move. Personally I'd have preferred us to have kept him until the season and then let him go, but then it's not me balancing the books.
May the bridges I burn light your way