January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:16 am

Just a slight deviation, but what's happened to Beck? He was supposedly in the Bradley area, yet he seems to have disappeared? Has he gone back home?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:46 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:16 am
Just a slight deviation, but what's happened to Beck? He was supposedly in the Bradley area, yet he seems to have disappeared? Has he gone back home?
Yes mate, in Jan, went back to Liverpool.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:46 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:16 am
Yes mate, in Jan, went back to Liverpool.
Ah, cheers Worthy. Must have missed that bit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:40 pm

It was a busy time – we sent him back the day before we signed Adebojeyo and Jerome, sold Aimson and loaned out Sadlier. Four days later we borrowed Mbete so I think it's entirely possible we'd realised we needed a loanee centre-back and Beck was taking a space we needed, what with Nlundulu and Shoretire being added to the two huge success stories (Trafford and Bradley).

Meanwhile - summer transfer plans on hold till we find out where we are next season. Reasonable, surely. I'm sure there's some we'd like to sign (and one or two to release) regardless of division, but different divisions might require different upgrades. You might offer, say, MJ/Sheehan/Lee a year's extension if we're in the third division; if we go up, we'll need to raise the bar – and whether they make it is a different question.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... fer-plans/
It's really hard and it's impossible, in fact, to firm anything up at the moment. There are a lot of things up in the air. We don’t know what division we are going to be in, and people may say that is slightly ambitious, but we are in a good position.

You have to plan as best you can and for next season, if we don’t get promoted, then expectations will rise. We will want to be stronger again and we should be in a better position to be more competitive towards the top end of the table.

Every window we go into we look at how we can improve the squad. There are always anomalies, there are always players who might want to leave, offers for those players, so we have to think again and adjust. We're doing whatever we can within reason. At the moment that isn’t easy because the Championship boundaries are up there and the League One boundaries are down here.

The Championship even changes things with regard to not just recruiting from the UK – we can recruit from Europe, it opens up a whole new pond of talent. Buying from abroad is something that will take time to get right I will say we try and limit risk as best we can. The owners’ money is always at risk to some extent when you sign a player but we try and reduce it as best we can.

I would rather keep and save the money than rush into something. We don’t make instant decisions that come back to bite us on the backside but the variables at play here, not knowing 100 per cent what we are aiming at yet, make it a complicated job.

I have never met any club that get recruitment 100 per cent right but I would like to think that over the course of the last three years we have got more right than we have got wrong, and I’d hope that would continue.

We’ll do our best, we always do, but my focus even with those out of contract players is to win the next two games. That’s goal one, then we go for goal two.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:49 pm

Had a quick look at Fossey and Kioso, knowing full well we need a RB next season. Ideally we'd get Bradley back in the Championship, but I suspect we'll not come close. Fossey is doing well in Standard Liege, whereas Kioso has barely got a sniff.

Perhaps Kioso would be worth a sniff in terms of getting a backup right back. Knows the system, worked well for him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:02 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:49 pm
Had a quick look at Fossey and Kioso, knowing full well we need a RB next season. Ideally we'd get Bradley back in the Championship, but I suspect we'll not come close. Fossey is doing well in Standard Liege, whereas Kioso has barely got a sniff.

Perhaps Kioso would be worth a sniff in terms of getting a backup right back. Knows the system, worked well for him.
Kioso is more a hybrid full back or centre half than flying wing back we need. Yes he was good going forwards but I don’t think he’s the player we need as a replacement (though I’d have him if available because I think he’s good and covers a few places).

Fossey is playing at a high level and we have no chance sadly.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm

Thing is, if we don't get promoted some might say Gethen/Randy can play RWB. Maybe they can but would they be able to do it effectively for us to improve as a team?

I would imagine at LWB it's Iredale/Randy because I can honestly see John being shown the door this summer regardless.

Whichever division we're in we need to improve and to improve significantly.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:03 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm
Thing is, if we don't get promoted some might say Gethen/Randy can play RWB. Maybe they can but would they be able to do it effectively for us to improve as a team?

I would imagine at LWB it's Iredale/Randy because I can honestly see John being shown the door this summer regardless.

Agree Sonic. Mentioned on another thread, but probably better on this one, if we lose Traff/Bradley and that then becomes two key targets, do we think there's another 10-15 points of improvement in this squad?

I can see a case for places we dropped points where we didn't acquit ourselves well, but there are also a few where you think we were lucky to take the points.

Still feels like 3-5 class signings to me...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:03 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:25 pm

Agree Sonic. Mentioned on another thread, but probably better on this one, if we lose Traff/Bradley and that then becomes two key targets, do we think there's another 10-15 points of improvement in this squad?

I can see a case for places we dropped points where we didn't acquit ourselves well, but there are also a few where you think we were lucky to take the points.

Still feels like 3-5 class signings to me...
It’s less than we had to do last season. What I’d say is that there are areas we can improve on. Like delivery into the box. If we get that right and keep our defensive solidity in tact that’s the difference. Those tight games we struggle in the issue is mainly we can’t load the box and put quality in there. Fix that and we are golden. Another striker too.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 03, 2023 9:36 am

The word coming out seems to be that Trafford will not be coming back to Bolton regardless of which division we're in. I'm guessing this means that City will take a look at him in pre-season, and if he is deemed not ready to be a part of their first team squad then he will be loaned out to one of their international affiliates.

Slightly disappointing, because he's been tremendous for us, but at the same time there was clearly never any prospect of us signing him permanently, so finding a longer term solution can now be prioritised.

I look forward to Brommers' goalkeeper scouting report. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:36 am
The word coming out seems to be that Trafford will not be coming back to Bolton regardless of which division we're in. I'm guessing this means that City will take a look at him in pre-season, and if he is deemed not ready to be a part of their first team squad then he will be loaned out to one of their international affiliates.

Slightly disappointing, because he's been tremendous for us, but at the same time there was clearly never any prospect of us signing him permanently, so finding a longer term solution can now be prioritised.

Fairly sure I saw an interview with Klopp (might have been linked on here) that said the same about Bradley sort of "see if he's squad ready in pre-season"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2023 9:48 am

The_Gun wrote:

Yeah Trafford has flat out said he won't be back here regardless of what happens in terms of promotion.

I agree with Marc Iles that the biggest and most difficult job this summer is a keeper because with Trafford we've probably had the best and most reliable keeper since Jussi. He's really outstanding for the level we've played at and has few if any real flaws.

Its such a key position and critical we get it right but its also the one where arguably, like strikers, options are few and far between.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 03, 2023 9:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am
The_Gun wrote:

Fairly sure I saw an interview with Klopp (might have been linked on here) that said the same about Bradley sort of "see if he's squad ready in pre-season"...
Yeah, but like Insano says, Trafford himself is saying he won't be coming back to Bolton regardless. I can only think that this is because he's been told he will get a top division loan if he's not staying at City next season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2023 9:59 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:52 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am
The_Gun wrote:

Yeah, but like Insano says, Trafford himself is saying he won't be coming back to Bolton regardless. I can only think that this is because he's been told he will get a top division loan if he's not staying at City next season.
Yeah - sounds like he knows something, obvs. He might even go abroad for all we know - the world's a larger place outside of L1. :-) Whichever, it feels like we're going to need to spend some time on both positions, as they're both pretty integral. Feels like there's a fair bit to do in summer, overall...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2023 10:03 am

Let's take it over to the new thread....
viewtopic.php?p=1154857#p1154857

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 03, 2023 12:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:

Got a draft blog post pretty much written already with eight names (a couple of them already mentioned by DSB a few pages back), however I’m waiting to see what division we’re in next season before posting as it might need some amending…