January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:12 am

Evatt not considering Big Dan transfer until summer. But expects him to improve after getting over an injury - and changing horses midstream, which has also affected Adeboyejo.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ian-evatt/
At the moment, no. Our full focus is the here and now and then we will have a look at things in the summer when we get there.

Dan isn’t where I want him to be fitness-wise because he can’t sustain it yet for 90 minutes but it is getting better and he is getting fitter as time goes by.

Playing in that position for us there is a responsibility to defend from the front and also one to attack, it is physically demanding. It takes time to get used to that.

Dan got an injury at the wrong time but he is improving and he is buying into everything we are doing in and out of possession, which for a modern day centre forward is equally important. I have seen some good signs with him and I think you’ll see more in the rest of the season.

Sometimes when you do business in January, that is a negative side. It takes people time to get up to speed because they had been doing things one way and now we are asking them to do things completely differently.

I think with a full pre-season you’d see two completely different players, I have no doubt about that, but they are getting up to speed. There is progression and Victor has started scoring, which is really important for him and his future at the club.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:40 am

I read the article this morning D.S.B. With every respect for our manager, it seems a pretty "safe" statement in that it doesn't really say very much we don't already know.A bit Simon and Garfunkel "Talking without speaking" if you will. I can understand his reluctance to get carried away because now is a difficult "edge of cliff" time, and predictions can bite you in the buttocks so easily. Heroes can become villains overnight in football and I fully agree with Vic A's statement that the fans are a big influence in how it all pans out.

All said, every game is a cup final right now, so come on lads, get in their and stand up to be counted. You can do it.. :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:56 am

I think on his pre-match presser Evatt might have answered the Dadbod question too. Talking about injury recoveries and Bod and Iredale back on grass, he said "Great to see, obviously not for this season, but great to have them back." Might be over thinking it, but that sounds like a contract extension for Bod to me...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:30 pm

I can see a JDB extension over an Nlundulu contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:30 pm
I can see a JDB extension over an Nlundulu contract.
A lot might depend on wages but yeah I'd say so.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:14 am

Been thinking about the squad situation should we stay down. I'd pretty much felt previously that we should release...

Nlundulu
Mbete
Shoretire
Kachunga
Lee
MJ
Sheehan

However, recent games I've changed my view. Sheehan is looking back to his best - and whilst still a bit lightweight he gives us an option and we've found his position as a deeper lying midfield player who makes the play in the 'two number 8/s or 6/s' system. So I think he's worth another deal.

MJ similarly has stepped up at centre half and looks really good - I mean to the point that I'd say he's as good there as in midfield. So that versatility gives us options. Absolutely worth a deal on the basis that we'd not need to sign another centre back and he covers the middle CB role and a DM role in front.

That leaves us with the other 5 who I think its time to call a day on. Lee I love. He's been outstanding. But I sense his legs are fading. Kachunga found redemption but doesn't offer enough goal threat. Other three are loans and go back anyway and as yet none have impressed me.

We would then need (excluding replacements for other loanees) to find a number 10 replacement - I think that effectively combines Lee and Shoretire into one player - another striker to replace Nlundulu/Kachunga (so we have Jerome, Bod, Charles and another) - and maybe then another midfield player who adds some stamina and some of Lee's qualities but maybe in the number 8 role....

So that would be 5 out and 3 in. Plus obviously Bradley and Trafford replacements.

That isn't too bad a position and maybe leaves us a little slack for another 'outstanding' signing somewhere on top.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm

We can do a fuller stay/go discussion when we know our next division but these are the players out of contract in summer:

Dixon
MJ
Lee
Sheehan
Isgrove
Kachunga
Bodvarsson

plus loanees Trafford, Mbete, Bradley, Shoretire, Nlundulu; only really Nlundulu has been mentioend as a possible permanent, and he's still under contract at Southampton next season, so let's see on that one. Evatt chased him awhile, but few trees have been uprooted.

To the 'permanents': I don't think anyone will campaign for the retention of Dixon and Isgrove. Kacha does a job of sorts but I think he'll be released, and rightly so. I agree with BWFCi that Lee might be let go, although it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay – Evatt likes his 'generals' in the squad (Jerome being the new Baptiste). Bodvarsson, I think we'll offer a deal to - depends on mutual money agreement. Sheehan and MJ are the interesting ones – I can see a case for either or both, but if we think we can get better, I wouldn't complain.

I would also add that Wrexham's promotion to Division Four might make them a realistic destination for Declan John, who's in contract until 2024. And I would go so far as to say that while we'd welcome upgrades in any position, for me the key focus in summer has to be goalkeepers and wingbacks - we might have an entirely clean slate bar Randell.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm
We can do a fuller stay/go discussion when we know our next division but these are the players out of contract in summer:

Dixon
MJ
Lee
Sheehan
Isgrove
Kachunga
Bodvarsson

plus loanees Trafford, Mbete, Bradley, Shoretire, Nlundulu; only really Nlundulu has been mentioend as a possible permanent, and he's still under contract at Southampton next season, so let's see on that one. Evatt chased him awhile, but few trees have been uprooted.

To the 'permanents': I don't think anyone will campaign for the retention of Dixon and Isgrove. Kacha does a job of sorts but I think he'll be released, and rightly so. I agree with BWFCi that Lee might be let go, although it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay – Evatt likes his 'generals' in the squad (Jerome being the new Baptiste). Bodvarsson, I think we'll offer a deal to - depends on mutual money agreement. Sheehan and MJ are the interesting ones – I can see a case for either or both, but if we think we can get better, I wouldn't complain.

I would also add that Wrexham's promotion to Division Four might make them a realistic destination for Declan John, who's in contract until 2024. And I would go so far as to say that while we'd welcome upgrades in any position, for me the key focus in summer has to be goalkeepers and wingbacks - we might have an entirely clean slate bar Randell.
Dixon an obvious one. MJ for me should stay. I think that squad cover he offers is critical and I think he's shown at CB enough that he's a genuinely viable option there and I detect that in the way Evatt is talking. (if we go up - different conversation as you say).

We probably need to shave numbers of players down for higher quality - lets be realistic about budgets. So I can see more out than in.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:20 pm

If Bod comes back before the end of the season for Training, I'd offer him a new deal

MJ Williams if we don't go up I would
Sheehan I would regardless
Lee, I'd be inclined to sadly let go. We've done wonders to get as many games out of him as we have, but it does seem that he's on his last legs

Isgrove
Kacha
Dixon, I'd let go
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:55 pm

I'd keep Kachunga for the surprise factor. He earns a place for effort for me. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:05 pm

MJ has learned very quickly his new position and done well at CH so he stays for me. Sheehan as well now that he is fully fit. Dadbod is our best striker so stays if he accepts a lower wage given that he would be a risk injury wise to us. I also believe Kacha is worth another deal. He is best up front when it comes to holding the ball up under pressure and has Championship experience where he did reasonably well.

Lee (fitness) , Isgrove, Dixon .. we better need replacements.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:20 pm
If Bod comes back before the end of the season for Training, I'd offer him a new deal

MJ Williams if we don't go up I would
Sheehan I would regardless
Lee, I'd be inclined to sadly let go. We've done wonders to get as many games out of him as we have, but it does seem that he's on his last legs

Isgrove
Kacha
Dixon, I'd let go
Bod is hoping to be in the squad vs Brizzle. Source: the man himself.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:37 pm

For me, it all comes down to where Evatt thinks his money is best spent. If Bod was on a huge whack, I might take a different view than if he was broadly aligned with the wage structure etc. So if I suspend reality for a moment and assume they're all within the wage structure...

Dixon - As the saying goes, at his age, he really needs to be playing regularly, that's unlikely to be with us.
Isgrove - Gotta lot of time for Lloyd, but probably bye bye
Lee - depends on what we do at "10." He's the only one we have when Shortire goes back, so we either need two new ones or we keep Sexy and add one as a "main starter" rather than an up and coming gamble. Shola started well and I'm sure there's a career in there, just maybe a couple of years to early...
Bod - yes for me, subject to T's and C's....
MJ - Can still do a job in L1 - maybe different were we to sneak up a Div
Sheehan - hmmmm, I think I'm in same place as MJ L1 I'd probably retain, Champo I think he'd continue to disappear.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:37 pm
For me, it all comes down to where Evatt thinks his money is best spent. If Bod was on a huge whack, I might take a different view than if he was broadly aligned with the wage structure etc. So if I suspend reality for a moment and assume they're all within the wage structure...

Dixon - As the saying goes, at his age, he really needs to be playing regularly, that's unlikely to be with us.
Lee - depends on what we do at "10." He's the only one we have when Shortire goes back, so we either need two new ones or we keep Sexy and add one as a "main starter" rather than an up and coming gamble. Shola started well and I'm sure there's a career in there, just maybe a couple of years to early...
Sheehan - hmmmm, I think I'm in same place as MJ L1 I'd probably retain, Champo I think he'd continue to disappear.
Demps?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:40 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Demps?
Demps, what? 10? I dunno I usually feel like he's an 8....but hey ho!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:52 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:05 pm
MJ has learned very quickly his new position and done well at CH so he stays for me. Sheehan as well now that he is fully fit. Dadbod is our best striker so stays if he accepts a lower wage given that he would be a risk injury wise to us. I also believe Kacha is worth another deal. He is best up front when it comes to holding the ball up under pressure and has Championship experience where he did reasonably well.

Lee (fitness) , Isgrove, Dixon .. we better need replacements.
Dad Bod is our best striker?! I think you might be the only one who'd not give Charles that honour. For me he is a borderline decision regarding a new contract. He's not so old that he should be declining significantly, but at the same time he's not going to have any kind of residual value in the transfer market, and he's coming off a serious injury. I think the fact that a 37 year old Cameron Jerome will be taking up one of our striking spots needs to be considered when we're making decisions on the other spaces.

Sheehan and MJ have both played themselves into new contracts over the past few weeks for me.

Kacha, Dixon and Isgrove should be cut free without requiring too much deliberation.

Oh, and Lee is a tough one. I'd say there is some argument to keep him around as a veteran presence on reduced wages, but if he still has ambitions of playing regularly then he should probably seek pastures new.
Last edited by The_Gun on Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:54 pm

It's actually quite difficult, because they're all hard working, pretty likeable players...We're not in territory we've previously been in where we can't wait to get shut and didn't like some of 'em very much anyhow....Possible exception of Dixon, who I think just got a "mates offer" off IE :-) But he seems like a decent sort, if not a very good L1 keeper...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Demps?
Kind of but he's been sort of doing the Lee role in recent weeks - at Wembley etc...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Demps?
Kind of but he's been sort of doing the Lee role in recent weeks - at Wembley etc...
I haven't got the data to prove it but I definitely feel we have inverted the triangle in midfield: Instead of being one (a "10") in front of two, it now feels like one "quarterback" (previously Morley, recently Sheehan) behind two who are encouraged to run onwards and create overloads (or join the press). In practice we're a bit more fluid than those roles suggest – Morley often floats back too, but certainly at Wembley for instance Dempsey was focused on the right side of the pitch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Demps?
I haven't got the data to prove it but I definitely feel we have inverted the triangle in midfield: Instead of being one (a "10") in front of two, it now feels like one "quarterback" (previously Morley, recently Sheehan) behind two who are encouraged to run onwards and create overloads (or join the press). In practice we're a bit more fluid than those roles suggest – Morley often floats back too, but certainly at Wembley for instance Dempsey was focused on the right side of the pitch.
That was where I was at - it sorta felt like two 8/10's and a 6...