January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 pm
Evatt says Trafford will be City’s number two next season so we will need to sign a new keeper. Apparently.
I think that's changed over this season, then. Speaking to someone at City a while okay they wanted him getting experience at a more pressured level for a season before that step, but maybe they feel they can offer him that education in-house.

Would be fairly amazing to see him turn out for City next season. Probably something the club should take pride in. Also an excellent way to sell ourselves to another young goalkeeper. "We helped develop a Man City keeper" isn't a bad pitch.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 pm

Not a chance that Trafford will be No2 at City next season. Surely people don't believe everything that Evatt says ?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 pm
Stefan Ortega won't be pleased to hear that.
Does he want to come and be a Championship keeper next season? Can he also call his mate Masaya Okugawa? Can't think of a much better replacement for Keiron Lee.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 pm
Not a chance that Trafford will be No2 at City next season. Surely people don't believe everything that Evatt says ?
I am shocked by it, but it would be an odd thing to just make up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 pm
Also fairly amazed to hear that Traf will be no.2 at City next season, from Evatt. I'd laughed at someone earlier for suggesting he'd on loan as first choice at a Prem team and whilst being No.2 isn't that, it's a fairly serious statement from City if Evatt is correct.

Well done to the lad. He must be delighted.
I’m not. He’s a very good keeper and is 19. By the time he’s 22/23 he should be one of the best around.

His weaknesses are also far less an issue at top flight level than they are down here.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 pm
I’m not. He’s a very good keeper and is 19. By the time he’s 22/23 he should be one of the best around.

His weaknesses are also far less an issue at top flight level than they are down here.
He's very talented, I certainly agree with that. To be one of the best keepers in League One at 19 is fairly amazing.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:46 am

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 pm
Stefan Ortega won't be pleased to hear that.
I wonder if he'd be up for a loan? 🤔
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am

Marc's report today confirms Evatt did say this. You have to hope he's not cropped a bollock there and that everyone at City is fine with that being out there.

Will look forward to DSB and Brommers offering up suggestions of who we could/should sign.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am
Marc's report today confirms Evatt did say this. You have to hope he's not cropped a bollock there and that everyone at City is fine with that being out there.

Will look forward to DSB and Brommers offering up suggestions of who we could/should sign.
I don't think they'll care much. True or not.

I suspect IF we go up we have a chance of another year - regardless of what they say a year in the championship at a local side where he's settled will only do him good. A chance at least.

If we don't then they'll do something else with him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am
I don't think they'll care much. True or not.
Depends on whether they've let the other parties know that's the plan. You'd think City, a very well run club, would have - but it wouldn't be the first time a player learnt of their future from a quote in the paper.

Anyway, if we can keep Traf next season (having gone up) then lovely. Saves us some hassle. If not and we have someone lined-up, also lovely. Allows us to get an asset we own onto the pitch and increase the value of the team and therefore the football club.

This is the first summer for a while that has been a target-rich environment for goalkeeper recruitment for us, so this may be very fortunately timed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am

Only just read the Trafford to be City's No.2 keeper next season thing. A reserve keeper has to be ready to step in even from the warm up - is he ready for that at that level? I'd suggest not. In fact, I'm not so sure that Trafford's even reached the level of where Gavin Bazunu was this time last year, and they let him go.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am
Only just read the Trafford to be City's No.2 keeper next season thing. A reserve keeper has to be ready to step in even from the warm up - is he ready for that at that level? I'd suggest not. In fact, I'm not so sure that Trafford's even reached the level of where Gavin Bazunu was this time last year, and they let him go.
I think judging keepers out of context is really tricky tbh. Because until he plays at that level we just don't know.

My view is that he's a couple of years younger than Jussi when Jussi came here. And for me he's a better keeper than Jussi was at 22 here. Maybe that's time and everything distorting it. But I'm not sure I've seen a keeper as good as Trafford so young.

But its a fair point, Bazunu similar age and also looks really good.

Trafford might need to bulk out a little bit to be a bit stronger when coming for the ball, but beyond that I think he's only one flaw and that's kicking.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:10 am

Ref a Traf replacment, which is always due to happens with a loan, another loan posibility which I admit to knowing nothing at all about caught my attention. Don't know why but this comment from a B.N.member appealed'

" Harry Tyrer. He's still raw and young but he commands his area, has a voice, catches well, and is a good shot stopper. Very much like Trafford in so many ways. Currently on loan from Everton to Chester City. "

Worth a look?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:29 am

Traff is phenomenal for his age. One of the best I've ever seen at that age. Given how late keepers develop it's essentially like having a 16 year old outfielder come in and nail it down.

But it's a big ask to go and jump to the top level, even if he won't play much and when he does he'll be in a good side.

I think he'll be a Prem keeper, maybe even England, but I'm not sure about City under Pep. His distribution isn't great (though who better than Ederson to train with) and unlike BWFCi the think I've been most impressed with is his ability to handle the physical side and come and get crosses. But city don't really concede many croses! There's a lot of a young Joe Hart about him and we saw how that went...

I still think he's at the stage where he just needs games.

Bradley I think has a shout at Liverpool next year. They need a second right back, can't keep relying on Gomez and Milner. He's maybe in a straight fight with Ramsey for that. But probably will be Ramsey and Bradley will be off on loan somewhere next year. Hopefully the championship whites!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:29 am
Traff is phenomenal for his age. One of the best I've ever seen at that age. Given how late keepers develop it's essentially like having a 16 year old outfielder come in and nail it down.

But it's a big ask to go and jump to the top level, even if he won't play much and when he does he'll be in a good side.

I think he'll be a Prem keeper, maybe even England, but I'm not sure about City under Pep. His distribution isn't great (though who better than Ederson to train with) and unlike BWFCi the think I've been most impressed with is his ability to handle the physical side and come and get crosses. But city don't really concede many croses! There's a lot of a young Joe Hart about him and we saw how that went...

I still think he's at the stage where he just needs games.

Bradley I think has a shout at Liverpool next year. They need a second right back, can't keep relying on Gomez and Milner. He's maybe in a straight fight with Ramsey for that. But probably will be Ramsey and Bradley will be off on loan somewhere next year. Hopefully the championship whites!
He drops or fumbles too many on crosses. Or at least has recently. I haven't felt as confident as I did. But I concur in general. I think he's a perfect keeper for Pep though (if he sorts his kicking out) his from the hands distribution is good generally. He'd need to quicken it up at times for City but that's more just a tactical thing.

I still think Bradley has a massive final ball problem and that's where he needs to improve for premiership level. Liverpool have full backs who deliver time and again. Bradley will find that holds him back at the top end of the premiership. He could still improve it though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:43 am

Liverpool basically just need cover for Trent though, and they don't have the cash that others in the top 6 do so need to save where they can. They have got by without any real right back cover for a couple of years but as Milner gets another year older I'd have thought one if the two I mentioned will go in and play the cup games/the odd league game. Think it's more likely to be Ramsey, but Conor wouldn't surprise me.

Again not sure it would be the best thing for him though. Better off getting out and playing until in a position to really challenge. Otherwise they'll just end up being a bit part and stagnating before being fed up and leaving for Bournemouth at 26.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm

Evatt said we already have our summer recruitment largely mapped and January accounted for that, with us "always looking one window ahead" with what we do. Which is reassuring from a professional point of view. It's obviously what we should have expected, but it's nice to hear it said.

If that's accurate (not read the minutes or heard a recording) then the language suggests we might be more advanced with the keeper than other positions.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am
It's been a quiet day at work. Here's some goalkeeper options, in descending age order, from the four local Premier League clubs. Inclusion on list does not automatically indicate authorial enthusiasm.

Nathan Bishop, Man U, 15/1/99
Londoner, 23. Out of contract in summer. Bought by MU from Southend, has since been loaned to Mansfield and linked with us. Helped Stags to last season’s play-off final. Has been kept around this season but has had Tom Heaton plus either Martin Dubravka or Jack Butland and has only made the bench twice.

Matej Kovar, Man U, 17/5/00
Czech, 22. Contracted to 2025 (+1). Has had loans to third-tier Swindon and Burton, and was set to go to Cheltenham this season – but United held on to him until they signed Martin Dubravka on the summer-window deadline day. Then they loaned Kovar back to his homeland, where he is now Sparta Prague’s No.1.

Billy Crellin, Everton, 30/6/00
Let's not.

Vitezslav Jaros, Liverpool, 23/7/01
Another Czech, 21. Loaned to Stockport this season, displaced the No.1 Ben Hinchliffe and had a run of 11 league games (5 clean sheets) but got injured and Hinchliffe has impressed since.

Liam Hughes, Liverpool, 19/8/01
Norn Iron U21 keeper signed from Celtic. Was loaned to Stalybridge for second half of last season.

Harry Tryer, Everton, 6/12/01
Scouse keeper loaned to Chester for this season. Contracted to 2025.

Ondrej Mastny, Man U, 8/3/02
Another United Czech, 20. On loan to Portadown in NI. English third tier (or even second?) might be a big leap, but that’s for scouting to decide.

Jack Barrett, Everton, 4/6/02
Tryer's U23s understudy. Hasn't been loaned yet.

Cieran Slicker, Man City, 15/9/02
Presumably Traf’s locker-neighbour - he’s City squad number 84 to Traf’s 85 - Slicker is an Oldham-born Scottish youth international. Loaned to Rochdale for the first half of this season, but didn’t play much so was taken back last month.

For age comparison purposes: James Trafford was born 10/10/02.

Zan-Luk Leban, Everton, 15/12/02
Slovenian who has been on the first-team bench under Ancelotti (albeit as one of two sub keepers). Hasn't been loaned yet.

Marcelo Pitaluga, Liverpool, 20/12/02
U17 World Cup winner in November 2019. A regular for LFC U23s, he's also made the first-team bench on a few occasions. Loaned to Macclesfield in summer, excelled (11 clean sheets in 23) but picked up an injury. When fit, he trains with the first team and is regarded (alongside Harvey Davies) as their best Academy goalkeeper. Will be prime loanee material by summer.

Jakub Ojrzyński, Liverpool, 19/2/03
Pole in the goal? Liverpool's U21 keeper was loaned to home-country club Radomiak Radom in summer but came back last month.

Harvey Davies, Liverpool, 3/9/03
Scouser who won the U19 Euros last summer. Not loaned yet but regarded, with Pitaluga, as the closest Academy goalkeeper to breaking into the first team.

Radek Vitek, Man U, 24/10/03
Yet another Czech – clearly they have a pipe – aged 19. Was in travelling squad to Villarreal. Not even sent on loan yet so presumably the leap would be too big.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:58 pm

Good list, DSB. My pick would be Conor Hazard from Celtic.

Northern Ireland international.
Looked like he might be first choice under Neil Lennon, but frozen out under Postecoglou.
League winner whilst on loan in Helsinki. Also voted goalkeeper of the year in Finland and player of the year for HJK.
Played CL and Europa League at both Helsinki and Celtic.
Won the Scottish Cup with Celtic and kept goal in the final. Saved two pens in the shoot out (bad error during the game balances that out).

One a free, wage demands are said to be reasonable (primarily wants to play now) and a good age, being 25 in the summer.

Has everything we go for. Resale potential, experience despite his youth (for a keeper), took a risk moving abroad for football and has experience actually winning trophies. Also regarded by the Celtic staff as highly professional and extremely mentally resilient.

He's Northern Irish and nobody would have to learn a new name for the keeper. What's not to love?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:13 pm

Is there an Eoin Goal?

(Yeah, a G an A and an L too)