January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:40 pm
Demps?
Demps, what? 10? I dunno I usually feel like he's an 8....but hey ho!
Kind of but he's been sort of doing the Lee role in recent weeks - at Wembley etc...
I haven't got the data to prove it but I definitely feel we have inverted the triangle in midfield: Instead of being one (a "10") in front of two, it now feels like one "quarterback" (previously Morley, recently Sheehan) behind two who are encouraged to run onwards and create overloads (or join the press). In practice we're a bit more fluid than those roles suggest – Morley often floats back too, but certainly at Wembley for instance Dempsey was focused on the right side of the pitch.
Yep we have to an extent and it does look better. But I guess Dempsey was the right side and more advanced presser of the two 8's a role Lee has done when he came on Saturday for example.

Its not a direct number 10 I guess. But in the current structure Dempsey has sort of taken the role Lee would play.

I suppose a legitimate question is whether we actually want/need a number 10 or whether we focus on another mobile, versatile 8 - for me we do look better with that midfield structure generally.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of players with contracts expiring this summer across the EFL. With the money we're likely paying Kacha and JDB we can probably take our pick from the better players in Leagues One and Two. I'd certainly be saving some of our spots for younger assets we can acquire for no cost.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 pm
That was where I was at - it sorta felt like two 8/10's and a 6...
I think we floated that way a bit when Aimson was covering Rico in Dec/Jan - because Aimo can't pass water, Morley was dropping onto his toes to pass from deep.

Then Rico returned, Aimson departed – and Shola arrived so we reverted to more of a "10". But then we had a bad run – losing at Wycombe, [qualifying for Wembley], squeezing past Vale by scoring with our only two accurate efforts, losing at Pompey, drawing at Morecambe and losing at home to Ipswich.

So for the trip to Hillsborough, Evatt went from a midfield three of Morley-Dempsey-Shola to Sheehan-Dempsey-Lee – and I think that's when we switched back. True, you could say it was Lee at 10, but Sheehan seemed to me to be playing notably deeper than the other two.

Since then it's been very similar; Lee hasn't started again but Morley came in to complete the now-standard trio which has started four of the last six games (Morley and Dempsey were rotated out on Easter Monday, and Tomo replaced Sheehan at Burton).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 pm
Another thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of players with contracts expiring this summer across the EFL. With the money we're likely paying Kacha and JDB we can probably take our pick from the better players in Leagues One and Two. I'd certainly be saving some of our spots for younger assets we can acquire for no cost.
Yes. Mitov from Cambridge for example might command some decent wedge on the payroll, but we'll surely have some cushion there for a position that is absolutely crucial.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:57 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 pm
That was where I was at - it sorta felt like two 8/10's and a 6...
I think we floated that way a bit when Aimson was covering Rico in Dec/Jan - because Aimo can't pass water, Morley was dropping onto his toes to pass from deep.

Then Rico returned, Aimson departed – and Shola arrived so we reverted to more of a "10". But then we had a bad run – losing at Wycombe, [qualifying for Wembley], squeezing past Vale by scoring with our only two accurate efforts, losing at Pompey, drawing at Morecambe and losing at home to Ipswich.

So for the trip to Hillsborough, Evatt went from a midfield three of Morley-Dempsey-Shola to Sheehan-Dempsey-Lee – and I think that's when we switched back. True, you could say it was Lee at 10, but Sheehan seemed to me to be playing notably deeper than the other two.

Since then it's been very similar; Lee hasn't started again but Morley came in to complete the now-standard trio which has started four of the last six games (Morley and Dempsey were rotated out on Easter Monday, and Tomo replaced Sheehan at Burton).
I'm going to make a point that will be controversial but....MJ's distribution out from the back is better (so far) than ANY of our other centre halves....indeed Saturday Jones and Johnston both played some relatively dodgy balls but MJ was generally spot on and found a fair few crossfield balls too when the time was right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:59 pm

The_Gun wrote:
If we release Lee, Kacha, Shoretire, Dixon, Mbete, Nlundulu.

I'd say we only need maybe a midfield player, striker, goalkeeper in. So 6 into three maybe four. Should give plenty of budget.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:43 pm
I suppose a legitimate question is whether we actually want/need a number 10 or whether we focus on another mobile, versatile 8 - for me we do look better with that midfield structure generally.
I would focus on getting the mobile, verstaile 8. Morley can cover Sheehan as QB.

However we slice it, I think we might only sign a central midfielder if he's a game-changing signing. Same at centre-back, perhaps even more so - where I think we'd be content with Johnston/Iredale, Santos/MJ (?), Toal/Jones. And up front, I think again we're only likely to get someone if they're a stunner – or perhaps a Dapo-style "trading signing", as The Gun suggests.

Goalkeepers and wingbacks. That's where the focus should be.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:59 pm
The_Gun wrote:

I'd say we only need maybe a midfield player, striker, goalkeeper in. So 6 into three maybe four. Should give plenty of budget.
Wingbacks, mate. That's your old drum I'm banging.

If Bradley and Isgrove go (both very likely) and Dec leaves (no swooning shock there either), we've literally nobody out there bar Jones/Iredale/Randy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:12 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:59 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Wingbacks, mate. That's your old drum I'm banging.

If Bradley and Isgrove go (both very likely) and Dec leaves (no swooning shock there either), we've literally nobody out there bar Jones/Iredale/Randy.
I'm excluding the Trafford and Bradley replacements.

Which are more obviously one out one in.

We have Williams - who can theoretically cover both sides. We'd probably want another wing back ideally but I'm not convinced Evatt will get one as I think he'll see Iredale and Jones as cover....and Williams as cover both sides.

But sure. And I'm factoring Declan staying. If he leaves its another in required.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:34 pm

I'd say we have zero Championship level wing backs right now, barring maybe Bradley, who's not ours but we might be able to get back if we get promoted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm

I'll be honest mate – I don't think Iredale, Jones, Randell or John are the wingback material of automatically promoted third-tier teams.

Jack and Geth will do a job, game-specific, but they lack the cretivity needed. Randell is the opposite problem - more of a winger than a defender, and to be honest not stunning at that either (with the caveat that he's a January signing so might improve in season 2). Dec is both good and bad, sometimes in the same game - as Prufrock's deathless phrase has it, he's a lot faster going forwards than backwards.

So aye. Just one of the most difficult positions to recruit for.... and goalkeeper.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm
I'll be honest mate – I don't think Iredale, Jones, Randell or John are the wingback material of automatically promoted third-tier teams.

Jack and Geth will do a job, game-specific, but they lack the cretivity needed. Randell is the opposite problem - more of a winger than a defender, and to be honest not stunning at that either (with the caveat that he's a January signing so might improve in season 2). Dec is both good and bad, sometimes in the same game - as Prufrock's deathless phrase has it, he's a lot faster going forwards than backwards.

So aye. Just one of the most difficult positions to recruit for.... and goalkeeper.
Asking from lack of live viewing, but is Jones not quick enough for a wing back? I always saw him in that role based on the past.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm
Asking from lack of live viewing, but is Jones not quick enough for a wing back? I always saw him in that role based on the past.
He's not slow; he works hard; he's positionally and tactically aware. I'd pretty much always have him in the matchday squad. But he's not, IMO, at the level of creativity needed for the wingback of a top-two team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:38 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Agreed it’s a hard position to fill. It’s why the system is not ideal for recruitment. I’m just saying how I think Evatt might see it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:49 pm

Klopp has said Bradley will do pre-season with them to see if he can break in to their squad.

Personally think he's got a real chance there. They have gone without a second right back for the last few years but given Trent's struggles they will need competition there and it can hardly be Milner again. They also have higher transfer needs than a second choice right back.

They signed that Ramsey last year who is highly rated but been permanently injured.

Particularly if they are in the Europa League next year he's got a great chance to be Trent's number 2 and get plenty of games. There's a lot of Andy Robertson (but on the other side, obvs) to him.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:49 pm
Klopp has said Bradley will do pre-season with them to see if he can break in to their squad.

Personally think he's got a real chance there. They have gone without a second right back for the last few years but given Trent's struggles they will need competition there and it can hardly be Milner again. They also have higher transfer needs than a second choice right back.

They signed that Ramsey last year who is highly rated but been permanently injured.

Particularly if they are in the Europa League next year he's got a great chance to be Trent's number 2 and get plenty of games. There's a lot of Andy Robertson (but on the other side, obvs) to him.
Yeah and personally I think the lad needs to play at a higher level than we will be offering to really progress his career. Top end championship at least….I don’t think he can develop more in a bottom to mid table championship side or top end league one side.

But that aside. We aren’t going to sign a player as good as Bradley is all round. I do think though there are two imperatives, pace and delivery. Bradley has pace but delivery is the weakest part of his game. I’d sacrifice some defensive ability for someone who is really quick and can deliver with quality at the end plus score a few.

One of our biggest flaws is our lack of quality delivery into the box especially down the right which is often where we dominate sides…

So whilst obviously Bradley would be an instant signing if he were magically available I think we can find someone who offers that delivery perhaps and I think we can compensate for other things we will lose more.

Edit: And perversely for me I think it’s the complete opposite with Trafford that unless he’s a regular pick for Man City his career would be best served coming back here and playing regularly regardless of level. Yes he’s a superb keeper but I feel the skills he will develop here will outweigh the benefits of a higher level…he will have more to do here and be tested more in the role than he ever will even playing the odd game at City….or a premiership side etc…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:08 pm

Trafford will undoubtedly get Championship loan offers next season, and I think that would be the logical next step for him. I obviously hope we get promoted and bring him back, but if we don't I'd say there's next to no chance of getting him again.

Bradley likewise I think needs a season in Div 2 before he's ready to be a meaningful contributor for a team like Liverpool. Same comments apply re: Bolton getting him back.

Whilst our chances of bringing back those two individuals hinges on what happens over the next few weeks, the tremendous work we've done with them should mean that we are able to borrow similarly talented youngsters from big clubs next season regardless of which league we're in. As we've seen ourselves, and also observed at our promotion rivals, these high quality loanees can be hugely impactful, so the club deserves a massive pat on the back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:30 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:08 pm
Trafford will undoubtedly get Championship loan offers next season, and I think that would be the logical next step for him. I obviously hope we get promoted and bring him back, but if we don't I'd say there's next to no chance of getting him again.

Bradley likewise I think needs a season in Div 2 before he's ready to be a meaningful contributor for a team like Liverpool. Same comments apply re: Bolton getting him back.

Whilst our chances of bringing back those two individuals hinges on what happens over the next few weeks, the tremendous work we've done with them should mean that we are able to borrow similarly talented youngsters from big clubs next season regardless of which league we're in. As we've seen ourselves, and also observed at our promotion rivals, these high quality loanees can be hugely impactful, so the club deserves a massive pat on the back.
Yes I suspect our chances of getting either back are very very low regardless. But Bradley clearly would benefit being in a better team. He needs it. I don't think flogging himself up and down our right side for another year would do a lot for him.

Trafford though - he'll develop more here than he will being protected on the bench or some high end championship side. I think personally for a keeper you play regularly and the level is less critical - the style of football we play will develop him more than most teams will do alone (especially given he's a City player).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:34 pm

Yeah, nice piece about Bradley on The Athletic today. No interview or huge future insight, but some fun pics and stories of him as a kid.

https://theathletic.com/4444647/2023/04 ... ol-future/

If we go up we have a hair of a chance, but as noted Klopp wants Conor there for pre-season so we will have to look elsewhere - suicidal to wait just in case. The Mighty Flanner, who has the pulse of such things, says that sadly Fossey is doing too well in Belgium for us to tap him up again, so it's back out into the unknown.

Traf - I think I agree with BWFCi. Goalkeepers are a funny lot - you can't really just give them the odd game. He's settled and developed brilliantly and weirdly, when you loan goalkeepers out, you want them to be busy – no point sending them to the title-winners to stand and watch. You want them under pressure and City can only be impressed with his time here. The only question is whether they'll have loanee suitors at Premier League non-rivals – say, Sheffield United.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:34 pm
Yeah, nice piece about Bradley on The Athletic today. No interview or huge future insight, but some fun pics and stories of him as a kid.

https://theathletic.com/4444647/2023/04 ... ol-future/

If we go up we have a hair of a chance, but as noted Klopp wants Conor there for pre-season so we will have to look elsewhere - suicidal to wait just in case. The Mighty Flanner, who has the pulse of such things, says that sadly Fossey is doing too well in Belgium for us to tap him up again, so it's back out into the unknown.

Traf - I think I agree with BWFCi. Goalkeepers are a funny lot - you can't really just give them the odd game. He's settled and developed brilliantly and weirdly, when you loan goalkeepers out, you want them to be busy – no point sending them to the title-winners to stand and watch. You want them under pressure and City can only be impressed with his time here. The only question is whether they'll have loanee suitors at Premier League non-rivals – say, Sheffield United.
But that's my point. A premiership struggling team won't help his career. Nor will as you say a team that sits near the top of the championship and he rarely has much to do - and is protected by the quality gap. Nor indeed will a team that isn't playing out from the back - skills he will need at City.

He's got the perfect gig here. I doubt very much we can keep him but for me he would hand on heart be well served coming back here. Bradley as much as we'd all love him back I think we all know he needs to play at a higher level now to advance himself.