No Shoot Sherlock..Home to Portsmouth 14th Jan. 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: No Shoot Sherlock..Home to Portsmouth 14th Jan. 3-o'clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:34 pm

The Aimson situation is, for me, the most interesting one at the club right now. He said he was considering asking for a transfer this window until Santos got injured and suddenly he's having a grand old time.

Did we have a contingency lined-up for that (it's really odd for a player to completely surprise a coaching team with a transfer request)?

Do we now reassess him as an asset in light of his performances? Or do we stick with the long term planning that, you have to imagine, was going to see us phase him out in the summer? You'd expect that that's not a question that can now wait until summer. We either start talking deal with him now or we let him go in the summer

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm

What I'm seeing is basically, player-wise we are on a par with most of the rest in this league. It's our solid defence and working to a system that's the difference. Every team we play, including today have decent players and could so easily have that edge that turns chances into goals. We'll very probably be good for at least the play-offs, but the Championship is a bit university versus college of knowledge level. That's when upgrading will become a must.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm
What I'm seeing is basically, player-wise we are on a par with most of the rest in this league. It's our solid defence and working to a system that's the difference.
Oh, now that's an interesting one.

I think you're right in terms of raw quality, but we've just recruited much better when it comes to getting the attributes and personality types we need.

Sheff Weds and others have more quality than we do, man for man. That's fairly clear from the table. I think we're making more of what we have than most, though. Bristol Rovers are giving us a run for our money on that score.

Evatt's had 2 1/2 years to shape this squad in his image and we're getting to the point now where he will feel he has the core of a squad that he could keep in the Championship.

He's probably working with 10 or so at the minute that he'd still want at that level (plus Traf and Bradley).

Some of those wouldn't get into other League One sides, but might work for us in this system/style a level up.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:21 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:34 pm
The Aimson situation is, for me, the most interesting one at the club right now. He said he was considering asking for a transfer this window until Santos got injured and suddenly he's having a grand old time.

Did we have a contingency lined-up for that (it's really odd for a player to completely surprise a coaching team with a transfer request)?

Do we now reassess him as an asset in light of his performances? Or do we stick with the long term planning that, you have to imagine, was going to see us phase him out in the summer? You'd expect that that's not a question that can now wait until summer. We either start talking deal with him now or we let him go in the summer
He was, at one point, 4th, maybe 5th choice? If our coaching team are surprised by him angling for a move whrm this was the case then I have my doubts about them going forward to be quite honest.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:53 am

4 games unbeaten without Dapo btw.

0 conceded and 7 scored.

Just saying like.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:13 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:53 am
4 games unbeaten without Dapo btw.

0 conceded and 7 scored.

Just saying like.
When I said I didn’t think we’d miss him on his ban I didn’t expect it to go this well.

But in fairness I don’t think he’s done enough this season for his ability. He doesn’t really fit. Let’s find a couple that do fit.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:49 am

Some absolute screamers scored in League One yesterday, btw. If you can, take a look at Derby's third and Plymouth's equaliser.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:07 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:49 am
Some absolute screamers scored in League One yesterday, btw. If you can, take a look at Derby's third and Plymouth's equaliser.
Ipswich’s was tasty as well. Need to be on it to get owt from them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:15 am

The Plymouth equaliser at the death was scored by Mumba and was indeed a super goal. I thought he was their best player at our place too. Looks a talent.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:15 am
The Plymouth equaliser at the death was scored by Muamba and was indeed a super goal. I thought he was their best player at our place too. Looks a talent.
The Ipswich players looked really dejected when it went in. Like they'd really had to work for the win that was snatched at the death.

Shame. :lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The Plymouth equaliser at the death was scored by Muamba and was indeed a super goal. I thought he was their best player at our place too. Looks a talent.
*Mumba

I agree. He's a talented kid. One of those who might have the raw ability to overcome being a midget (ala Lamptey).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:57 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
*Mumba

I agree. He's a talented kid. One of those who might have the raw ability to overcome being a midget (ala Lamptey).
Yes that was phone autocorrect.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:12 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
*Mumba

He looked sharp when he came on against us...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:25 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:12 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
*Mumba

He started the game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:25 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:12 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
*Mumba

He started the game.
My bad - mixing him up with Matete...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:57 am
Yes that was phone autocorrect.
I love that you've demanded we sign a new Muamba so many times that it's now in your autocorrect.

Bloody marvelous.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:31 pm

Mumba – 5 goals, 7 assists from RWB - is a Norwich player, which (1) must have made deflating Ipswich quite fun and (2) raises a question over whether David Wagner will recall him this month. Wagner was asked this week and said he and the loans director had yet to make a decision. Let's hope Norwich's RB has a shocker soon....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:31 pm
Mumba – 5 goals, 7 assists from RWB - is a Norwich player, which (1) must have made deflating Ipswich quite fun and (2) raises a question over whether David Wagner will recall him this month. Wagner was asked this week and said he and the loans director had yet to make a decision. Let's hope Norwich's RB has a shocker soon....
David won't recall him unless he can guarantee him games (he's big on game time at as young an age as possible), but he's the sort of play he will want to work with. Like you say, let's hope he has a use for him. Pleased we are keeping our loanee.