Fleecing the Rams. Away V.Derby County, Sat 21st Jan.3.0' clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fleecing the Rams. Away V.Derby County, Sat 21st Jan.3.0' clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:44 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:34 pm
We've been giving these kinds of openings to teams and they've not taken them.

Derby were always going to say "Ta very much"...being as poor in midfield as we have been is the deciding factor.
Aye, that's key for me. We don't create enough and yet allow opportunities for the opposition. Against the better sides you're going to get beat
We’ve been playing the better sides in the last few weeks and not being beat. Derby. Plymouth. Barnsley. I think the issue is simply down to striker quality. Those two 0-0’s would be wins with that quality up front. And now we are weaker there than we were. Today was always going to be very hard on their run. But we should have beaten them at our place and the reason again is up front.
Nah. Nlundulu and Charles played well today. We just didn't create anything for them. Nothing.
I was referencing the 0-0’s at home against them and Plymouth and similar games. Not today. We were always going to find it difficult today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:58 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:54 pm
Two fingers up to a few from Sads there…
Not really. Ability isn't in question, he's just not good enough not to do the work.

Off the bench he's a great option. The person keeping Sads out of the team is Sads.
The only thing that determines a result is how many goals you’ve scored vs the opposition.

I think too many forget that.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:01 pm

Result as expected. Not a total disaster.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:00 pm
The only thing that determines a result is how many goals you’ve scored vs the opposition.
No, it's also how many they've scored vs you.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:03 pm

Eyes now turn to FGR.

Results vs Derby are what will keep us out of the top 2.

Results vs the lesser sides are what will determine whether we get into the play-offs.

Time for Baka to absolutely shaft us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:56 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Or stating his case for some minutes up front. It's a three-game week, I'd be tempted to give him the full last 30 v FGR.

Doesn't mean we don't need to sign a striker, but if he can continue to score as a sub, it's not a bad thing.
They guy gets goals. We struggle with scoring goals! His failure here is either the coaching/management or his attitude, and I think he’s a sound lad!!??

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:58 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not really. Ability isn't in question, he's just not good enough not to do the work.

Off the bench he's a great option. The person keeping Sads out of the team is Sads.
I’m fairly certain Ian agrees with you.
I’m not sure i do on this one! Think it’s as much a failure on the management side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:46 pm
We’ve been playing the better sides in the last few weeks and not being beat. Derby. Plymouth. Barnsley. I think the issue is simply down to striker quality. Those two 0-0’s would be wins with that quality up front. And now we are weaker there than we were. Today was always going to be very hard on their run. But we should have beaten them at our place and the reason again is up front.
Nah. Nlundulu and Charles played well today. We just didn't create anything for them. Nothing.
For the record, what BWFCi says here is mostly right, IMO. That we are weaker is unarguable; it remains to be seen whether Big Dan + Shola are better or worse than Baka + Dapo, but they're certainly less numerous than Baka + Dapo + Bod. The comparative weakness is numerical.

And numbers up top have been our weakness all season in the big games. It's come as a surprise to most that The Fearsome Four of spring fell away so badly in autumn, for various reasons. We have to change that and assuming we aren't collecting strikes like prime-Hammers Harry Redknapp, we have to lose some to gain some. We've also gained somewhere towards a million quid.

I'm not arguing with Harry (Genshaw, not Redknapp) that the front two played well today. But BWFCi's post is the campaign in a nutshell. Last season, we lost big games because we didn't score and had a dodgy defence. This season it's (usually) much tighter - but we're still lacking at the top end. Baka wasn't solving that, Dapo clearly wasn't. We have to take risks to change things.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 pm

Spot on! The Dapo/Baka sales is us rolling the dice! Unfortunately we don’t have 2.5 million squirreled away!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
In fairness Ghosty, not sure that's always been our mantra vs we're gonna score one more than you. The last two seasons I've been critical of the defence, this season less, been told it wasn't a problem because we build from the back, despite defending being inauspicious...it's always about getting more than the oppo, whether that's 1-0 or 7-6...it's just the odds are much better on 1-0. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm
I’m not sure i do on this one! Think it’s as much a failure on the management side.
Could be, but if so it's a failure of his last two managers.

Derby today is a good example of a side he'd never get into, because he doesn't do the work that every one of their players did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 pm
In fairness Ghosty, not sure that's always been our mantra vs we're gonna score one more than you.)
I was kidding, Worthy. Insane clearly meant how many you score vs how many they score.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm
Could be, but if so it's a failure of his last two managers.

Derby today is a good example of a side he'd never get into, because he doesn't do the work that every one of their players did.
Also an example of a (lauded, successful) manager who was happy to let him go.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:18 pm

Meh, they'll miss out on top 2, be proper gutted, we'll beat Ipswich in the Semis and do them at Wembley, as it'll be our second home after smashing Plymouth in the Pizza cup.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Which is what I said.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:10 pm
For the record, what BWFCi says here is mostly right, IMO. That we are weaker is unarguable; it remains to be seen whether Big Dan + Shola are better or worse than Baka + Dapo, but they're certainly less numerous than Baka + Dapo + Bod. The comparative weakness is numerical.

And numbers up top have been our weakness all season in the big games. It's come as a surprise to most that The Fearsome Four of spring fell away so badly in autumn, for various reasons. We have to change that and assuming we aren't collecting strikes like prime-Hammers Harry Redknapp, we have to lose some to gain some. We've also gained somewhere towards a million quid.

I'm not arguing with Harry (Genshaw, not Redknapp) that the front two played well today. But BWFCi's post is the campaign in a nutshell. Last season, we lost big games because we didn't score and had a dodgy defence. This season it's (usually) much tighter - but we're still lacking at the top end. Baka wasn't solving that, Dapo clearly wasn't. We have to take risks to change things.
We came into the season too weak up top and we're still too weak up top.

It's unlikely we will go into February good enough up front to be a top side at this level, but I live in hope. I'm sure we will try to be, but we needed to get some work done in the summer and more done this month - instead we're sort of stagnating this month due to the Bodvarsson injury.

It's a cumulative process, though; so we need to hope that we get another striker who is genuinely better than what we have and that Nlundulu is both good and gets retained.

Midfield and the wingbacks remain a mess of a situation to solve in one summer window. The defence looks easy, but then we'll need two goalkeepers.

I think we'll do well next season, but the size of the challenge should probably sober a few.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 pm

It's no disgrace I think most thought that we would struggle today.

With the money at his disposal Evatt is doing as much as he can, unfortunately we just can't compete with the Sheff Weds, Ipswich & Derby's financially. Money talks and to bring in the better players you have to pay them better wages & as it stands with FV this is where we are. Its a vast improvement but this is probably as good as it gets without further investment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:32 pm

Football isn't roulette with plenty options, it's almost pitch and toss with just three; win lose or draw. We were always going to lose somewhere along the line, and so are Derby...and anyone else in this division probably barring the top three. We were a very unsettled side today and obviously missed Jon Bod, so not as hopeful as usual. Early (soft?) goal did us yet again, but after their second we were really fighting up hill. I'd have left the young lad to settle in and thrown Kachunga and Sadlier in earlier.....but that's classic wise after the event stuff. Dust off take a breath and sally forth again. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 pm
In fairness Ghosty, not sure that's always been our mantra vs we're gonna score one more than you.)
I was kidding, Worthy. Insane clearly meant how many you score vs how many they score.
My bad, mate. Apols.

Edit: And yes, you're generally fcuked if they've scored 2.
Last edited by Worthy4England on Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:37 pm

Quality of delivery difference between two sides is a common sentiment I’m seeing. Which I’d agree with to an extent. Think there was a bit more to it but if you take the two games we do struggle to get quality deliveries in. Williams and Bradley are problematic in this regard. Compared to Derbys wingers.