Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:14 pm
Goal was Deffo one for the keeper error column…it was a difficult pitch, and he did well with another bobbler in the first half I think. He is going to be hard to replace next season.
Never fear, we still have Dixon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Goal was Deffo one for the keeper error column…it was a difficult pitch, and he did well with another bobbler in the first half I think. He is going to be hard to replace next season.
Not next season we won't.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not next season we won't.
You say that.... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 pm
Was just typing word for word the same comment.

If we don't go up he's very cheap back up for a manager who doesn't seem to believe in back up goalkeepers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 am

Don't get me wrong, Trafford has of course been something of a revelation, however, I do wonder if 'the odd howler' might ultimately work in our favour viz keeping him for another season?
I mean, someone from City must've seen his game on Saturday and although they won't be passing judgement on that game alone, I think it'd helped indicate that he's far from ready for a recall.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 pm
Was just typing word for word the same comment.

If we don't go up he's very cheap back up for a manager who doesn't seem to believe in back up goalkeepers.
i suspect he will want first team football. Evatt has clearly lost confidence in him - doesn’t even get Pizza games - and the fans would take a hell of a lot of convincing.

If he stays, it’s a failure of scouting, imagination and ambition. Like retaining Liam Gordon.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:31 am

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 am
i suspect he will want first team football. Evatt has clearly lost confidence in him - doesn’t even get Pizza games - and the fans would take a hell of a lot of convincing.

If he stays, it’s a failure of scouting, imagination and ambition. Like retaining Liam Gordon.
Agree with all that. The absolute killer, I think, is that Evatt is protecting him from the fans. He was badly hit by the storm of bullshit he received when he was playing. I think he's just well out of the line of fire. For the best for the man if he moves.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 am
Don't get me wrong, Trafford has of course been something of a revelation, however, I do wonder if 'the odd howler' might ultimately work in our favour viz keeping him for another season?
I mean, someone from City must've seen his game on Saturday and although they won't be passing judgement on that game alone, I think it'd helped indicate that he's far from ready for a recall.
I think we already know we wont be keeping Traf next season. Certainly not if we don't go up, but the phrase I've heard used is "big match experience" being the next step for him. Can't say I know, but probably decent to speculate that means a Europe-qualifying team in a second-tier football nation (given the links in the press).

If City are flexible on that and the Championship is a draw, brilliant. Think we are planning for out own guy in there next season, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:42 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:31 am
The absolute killer, I think, is that Evatt is protecting him from the fans.
Aye. Either he’s protecting him from the fans - and remember this is the guy who said one of his keepers had to “man up” - or he’s simply reducing our exposure to a liability. Neither suggests longevity.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:50 am

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:42 am
Aye. Either he’s protecting him from the fans - and remember this is the guy who said one of his keepers had to “man up” - or he’s simply reducing our exposure to a liability. Neither suggests longevity.
So then the question is how you work it. Do you bring in a young keeper as back up, or look for more of an experienced head who is happy to sit on the bench?

Fairly strong suspicion on my part that the starting birth will go to a player we feel we can make money on, rather than a fogey. Seeing Bazunu go for a fee rising to £15m and Plymouth quoting around the same for their guy has to make us think that there's money to be made there.

Do we know how any of the kids are progressing?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 am

Lots of ways to cut it. Broadly you’ve got the old head (a Gilkes or, as Wednesday signed in summer a Stockdale or, going back some, an Ian Walker). You’ve got those with more experience but perhaps not a very high ceiling - say a Mark Howard. And then you’ve got the potential assets - a Jussi/Bogdan (although we had others that didn’t work). I would expect one of the latter and then one of either of the others, dependent on availability.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am

Not anything anyone has said, particularly, but personally could fancy Luke Daniels for the older one. Local lad, knows the role, very experienced etc. Would be ideal. His next contract won't be a big one and he'd finally get to play for "his" team, which he's wanted to do for a while.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:14 am

Yeah, that sort of name. I know we all fear GK is a blind spot, but I’m hopeful that with Markham’s team on board and a much more advanced “project” to sell, the pool will be wider and deeper than before.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:17 am

Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:14 am
Yeah, that sort of name. I know we all fear GK is a blind spot, but I’m hopeful that with Markham’s team on board and a much more advanced “project” to sell, the pool will be wider and deeper than before.
We are definitely sounding out the right sorts.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:43 pm

Marc Iles suggestion Dixon could be offered a new deal if we're in League One next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:43 pm
Marc Iles suggestion Dixon could be offered a new deal if we're in League One next season.
That would be outlandishly stupid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
We'll see on that. Marc says he's "rated/trusted", which is fine but doesn't mean we'll be extending his contract. Marc also implies/guesses he wouldn't be retained if we went up, which suggests something.

He turns 30 this year, so he won't want a one-year extension. And if we gave him a two-year deal when we're aiming to be in the Champo, well, again: a lack of ambition.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Excellent. That fills me with hope.

Hope that despite being 56, around two stone overweight and having no experience, a career as a professional goalkeeper might still lie ahead of me! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:50 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Excellent. That fills me with hope.

Hope that despite being 56, around two stone overweight and having no experience, a career as a professional goalkeeper might still lie ahead of me! :)

I'll be 59 in May and have played in goal for 5-a-side teams for most of the last 35 years. Pulled off a couple blinding saves last night as well as being given a stint up front and scoring a hat-trick in a 10-6 win 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
That would be outlandishly stupid.
I reckon Evatt would know best. He gets most things right.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?