Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:13 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:02 pm
Why are people under the impression Declan John is one of our big earners?

Surely he was signed as a midtable league two player looking for promotion so would be part of the budget for that.

Maybe Evatts desire for top drawer wing back talent stands him in good stead but can't imagine he'd be one of the big wage outlays
Because of how much he was paid before and how difficult it was to sort out a financial package he'd sign on for.
Aye. Where we were, L2 wasn't where he was, Champo..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Lancashire triumph at Happy Valley? Charlton (A), Saturday, 28 January, 12:30pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:56 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 am
One has to immediately question the veracity of an item that has League One down as being 'the fourth division of mens professional football in England and the lowest football league division'.
You'd have to think they've just not edited it properly after we were promoted.

On the other hand, they're wrong on Traf. Neither what we earns nor what we pay him. No idea on the others, but it that's wrong...
Yeah, I'd have thought with Trafford that we'll be simply making a contribution towards whatever it is that Man City are paying him. I'm certainly no expert on how these things work though.

Apropos nowt much, I note that Brommers estimated us to have made circa £750K by selling players we'd acquired for free, the other day. A very tidy bit of business. Then it struck me that not too long ago that'd have been six months wages for the hapless Zat Knight alone.

How good does it make you feel to know that the club's now being run on a methodical basis?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:09 am
How good does it make you feel to know that the club's now being run on a methodical basis?!
Very. We're still on the raggedy edge and if we don't go up in the next 18-30 months then I think things will start to fray at the edges quite badly without a genuinely big sale or new investors.

We don't currently have a Dele Ali or Scott Twine on the books, but if Morley would like to turn into James Ward Prowse he might do to keep the can rattling down the road.

If Evatt doesn't take us up by the end of the 23/24 season and the money starts to go south, he might look for his agent to find him a new gig.

We are managing our affairs brilliantly as things stand, but I feel we have that 2 /12 year window from now.

Again, purely personal opinion, but this window has gone better than I expected (and thus far how I said it would if we were talking ideal January). We've got a lot done I thought might have to wait for next summer, making that window much easier for Markham even we don't go up. I think I said on here that this is how I'd do it, personally, as I'd not have wanted to go into the next window with close to that amount of work to have to get spot on.

We're in a fantastic position now, but still on a clock.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:41 am

^^ There is also the possibility that a new gig tries to find Evatt...I do wonder, occasionally how the average Gary Megson would actually deal with it...but probably one for another day..

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:41 am
^^ There is also the possibility that a new gig tries to find Evatt.
Yes.

Looking at the market I think we're probably safe for the next year, but that can change in an instant. He's certainly getting himself noticed. Saving grace is that he's viewed as a process manager, who offers a long term benefit. A lot of the clubs he'd leave for, if they sack their guy, will want an instant impact.

Anyway, we'll see. The one that really worries me is Markham getting poached.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:52 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:41 am
^^ There is also the possibility that a new gig tries to find Evatt.
Yes.

Looking at the market I think we're probably safe for the next year, but that can change in an instant. He's certainly getting himself noticed. Saving grace is that he's viewed as a process manager, who offers a long term benefit. A lot of the clubs he'd leave for, if they sack their guy, will want an instant impact.

Anyway, we'll see. The one that really worries me is Markham getting poached.
This.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:53 pm

Is there anything other than it being symbolic that Evatt has ‘B’ shares? I’ve not seen it with another manager before - shows buy in to “the project”.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm

First live game for me for a while yesterday, and it's fascinating to read back through the thread as it happened. Bunch of panic fannies :D

I thought that was superb. We should have been out of sight at halftime. Not quite sure how it was only 1-0 at halftime. Felt at halftime it could be one of those games where it comes back to bite you. Lo and behold straight after half time we were still figuring it out after Johnstone went off, far too easy to work that shot and then Traff should do better. Would've been really easy to crumble but we just reset and bossed it again, got back in front and then controlled it.

Never thought I'd be saying this about an Evatt team, but the last ten minutes had an air of the feeling DSB described under Parky when you just didn't think we were going to concede. Other than the couple of corners they had.

Morley's goal was superb, and possibly the best view I've ever had for a goal live. Right behind it and you knew it was in from the second he struck it.

This is a proper, proper team. Everything makes sense. There is a plan and they're all singing from the same hymn sheet. It's a lovely feeling to have around a football club. And everything you want to watch. Brave on the ball, every one works their nads off. It's just great to watch. Speaking of workrate. Dempsey showing the player we hoped he'd be. Some engine that lad.

Watching live, I thought Charlton looked pretty hopeless. Couple of danger men out wide, but they were shocking at the back. But then you look at recent results and think we have to take some credit for making them look like that. We just outclassed them.

Adeboyajo looks a real handful. Strong, pace, power. Him and Charles could be a great pair. He also got himself in some great areas, had a couple of half chances. It's only one cameo but he looked cool in front of goal too. He could score bagfuls for us. And Jerome looks in good nick too. Great threat off the bench.

Top 2 looks a long way off but the vibes are good. Should be an exciting second half of the season!

Was great to catch up with erstwhile contributor Crayons as well.

Top banana!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:28 pm

Well, what a tremendous day out that was. I’m feeling a little (lot) worse for wear after a 12 hour drinking session, but the football match in the middle of it was great.

I think you lot have summed up the game nicely already, but I will add that I think we’re probably only a couple of additions away from being as good as the top four. If we can add quality back ups in central defence and central midfield then I think we’re primed for another crazy run.

We are the one and only Wanderers!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:30 pm

Oh and I think some of the chat around John is overblown. He did well. I was nervous when he came on but he played well. Point to prove and he definitely showed he's still an option there. Challenge now is to keep it up, but him and Randy pushing each other is great, and also gives Randy chance to get back up to speed without being run senseless every game.

Motm a real toughie. I'd just say Morley edged Dempsey and Charles for the quality of the goal.

Eoin Toal is a real, real find too. Reminds me of Chris Basham in the Sheff U team that went up to the Prem. Good defender, but quick for a big lad. Looks a bit ungainly, but just does the job quietly, with quality and a minimum of fuss.

Shoretire - something twinged when he was pressing them back to the keeper with Charles. He's a young lad, hopefully he'll be back soon. Johnstone more worrying. Assumed in the ground it was his head but a bad fall on his ankle from that height could be bad. At least he was able to keep playing on it, but a worrier.

We needed another centre back to replace Aimson anyway. We're just a couple away I think. Cover at the back, and one more central midfielder.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm
Adeboyajo looks a real handful. Strong, pace, power. Him and Charles could be a great pair. He also got himself in some great areas, had a couple of half chances. It's only one cameo but he looked cool in front of goal too. He could score bagfuls for us. And Jerome looks in good nick too. Great threat off the bench.
You can throw Nlundulu into that mix too.

Good times. Glad you had a great time at the game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm
You can throw Nlundulu into that mix too.

Good times. Glad you had a great time at the game.
Yeah, I'm really happy with the business we've done up top. Going in to next season with Charles, Vic and Jerome under contract is a really good place to do. Means you can refresh it with one more if you need to. Gives us time to have a proper look at Dan. He fits the profile for one we can develop who could be worth cash, but we're not committed if we think there's something better out there.

I'm hopeful we'll get the bodies in there to fill the squad for the rest of the season, and we've signed players you think will still be here next. Makes the (big) task of replacing Traff and Conor a bit easier when you're not needing to find half a squad as well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:30 pm
We needed another centre back to replace Aimson anyway. We're just a couple away I think. Cover at the back, and one more central midfielder.
The reality of our squad-building is a bit skewed by those injuries right now and that will dictate some of what we will do in terms of types and lengths of contacts.

When you throw Iredale and Johnston into the mix we'd almost be good to go as is, so we won't crowd it too much or we'll end up losing money in the summer as we look to strip a bit.

I think one defender is the absolute minimum we'd feel okay exiting the window with. Evatt obviously wants more quality in his midfield and we'll see what gets announced there on Monday. If we can't do more, you'd think we will be happy - but we'll maybe see if anything comes up - but not do much and someone would have to go.

As I was saying to Brommers earlier, we can now put out a good 11 (bar a keeper) next season without touching the market, plus we have excellent depth for the back three by the standards of most clubs entering a summer. We've not only given ourselves a better chance of going up this season, we've solved a number of the issues I was talking about on the transfers thread in terms of Markham's to-do list.

This could yet go down as our best window under Evatt. Or, you know, go tits up :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:31 pm

We've got five days to enjoy it before we inevitably feck it against Cheltenham. I'm riding the wave :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:31 pm
We've got five days to enjoy it before we inevitably feck it against Cheltenham. I'm riding the wave :D
We'll murder Cheltenham. I think they're in bother.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:03 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:30 pm
As I was saying to Brommers earlier, we can now put out a good 11 (bar a keeper) next season without touching the market, plus we have excellent depth for the back three by the standards of most clubs entering a summer. We've not only given ourselves a better chance of going up this season, we've solved a number of the issues I was talking about on the transfers thread in terms of Markham's to-do list.

This could yet go down as our best window under Evatt. Or, you know, go tits up :D

Hmm.

That's certainly true if we retain this same squad of players, but if we don't get promoted I'm not confident our loanees will be here next season, and we could very feasibly struggle to keep some of our brightest contracted players too.

The panic fanny in me is concerned we could end up having something of a rebuilding job on our hands.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:11 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:46 pm
Hmm.

That's certainly true if we retain this same squad of players, but if we don't get promoted I'm not confident our loanees will be here next season, and we could very feasibly struggle to keep some of our brightest contracted players too.

The panic fanny in me is concerned we could end up having something of a rebuilding job on our hands.
Don't need the loanees to get that outfield 10 out there.

I think if we don't go up we may be forced to find a buyer for Johnston. If he'll sign a new deal, great; but we can't let him run his deal down. It's possible John might go regardless, Jones or Dempsey may go if we go up (but suspect both will sign new deals in the summer regardless).

We have 13 players contracted beyond the summer, Nlundulu there as one who may well stay and then whatever we get done before the deadline. We can get a solid outfield 10 out of those 13(14) players, with some depth at the back. It's a much better position than we were in and can still improve. That means that we can bring players in in the summer, but still have the core of a side that knows what the manager wants and how to play the system.

In terms of carrying the progress we've made this season, whilst upping quality, into next season we're doing well. The goalkeeper is the least difficult player to transition into a technical (tactically) side like ours, so the chances of us hitting the ground running next season should be pretty good compared to previous seasons when we've either had disruption or a real lack of quality in key areas.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:46 pm

I am pretty much on board with all that ghost! I can see us suffering play off failure this season but the business we have done sets us up with a consistent team and formation, which we need to sign a couple of players for. Yes if we could upgrade on Dempsey/Williams (Matete!) that would be good!

Goalkeeper and the wing backs in the summer, depending on how Randy does now. Suspect he will benefit from competition and some roper training and games.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 am

I think the team is being configured to gain promotion this season. A key part of this is Shola. He oozes class and has good players around him. If he stays fit, we get promoted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:17 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 am
I think the team is being configured to gain promotion this season. A key part of this is Shola. He oozes class and has good players around him. If he stays fit, we get promoted.
Just have to hope the soft goal losses we gave away earlier aren't the reason if we don't.So many things can affect the best laid plans of mice and managers, and the teams still in contention are breathing heavily down our necks. A two-goal lead is worth all the cunning plans ever configured and a Match Helen win will do for a start to get back on track. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?