Nothing Posh about pasties. V Peterborough away Sat 11-Feb 3,0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Nothing Posh about pasties. V Peterborough away Sat 11-Feb 3,0'clock.

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:16 pm
Seriously tho - that's a lovely pic to see. Loanees and new lads bang in the middle of it all. Club feels good right now.
Aye. Not something that seems forced either. They are all bang up for it.

Four-nils for the rest of the season!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:24 pm

Getting massively ahead of myself here, but in the next 10 days if we can perform as expected in our home games against a struggling Franchise and free-falling Vale and break our hoodoo at Wycombe, we should be looking up rather than down.

Obviously we're doomed now I've said that

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:31 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:24 pm
Getting massively ahead of myself here, but in the next 10 days if we can perform as expected in our home games against a struggling Franchise and free-falling Vale and break our hoodoo at Wycombe, we should be looking up rather than down.

Obviously we're doomed now I've said that
Wycombe showed today that they can beat the best this league has to offer. MK Dons is the next focus, but if we could take 6 from the next two games I will start to believe we'll go up.

At the minute I'm still on the side of "next season is the one", but hard not to be swayed by a 5-0.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 pm

Dion is rapidly joining the top strikers club. Proud to say I'm not just a Johnny come lately' fan. Have said a couple of times he should be first name on the sheet. He'll be head hunted shortly.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Stay focussed, be professional and don't run away with ourselves and we can play like this every week; five goals yes, but a solid game from the keeper and defence is as necessary as our attack. Darren Fergusson may not see it quite like that,but hey...5-0 :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 pm
Dion is rapidly joining the top strikers club. Proud to say I'm not just a Johnny come lately' fan. Have said a couple of times he should be first name on the sheet. He'll be head hunted shortly.
Once he hits 20 goals then his price tag becomes seven figures.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
I've heard the Red Lion are lining up a bid...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
He's Che Adams -1 division. Adams is a top player in the Championship now, but hasn't had enough to step up to be a proper Prem player.

There are aspects of Dion's game that have to improve for him to cut it in the Championship, but he is improving now. His movement is getting better. His choice of pass is improving. The mental side of the game is getting better and better.

He's now in a similar position to Thomason, in that it's all about how much he can improve technically. Can he work on his touch? Can he take more finishes first time? Can his shape of pass improve? If he can lift those aspects of his game he has everything else to play a division up.

He's really, really easy to like on the football pitch. Would love him to keep improving and show he can lead the line in the Championship. He's 28 next season, so this is his time. With his style of play he has another year to get to his top level and then 2, maybe 3 seasons as a key man. For him as a pro that means he has one "big" contract in him. I hope that's with us.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 pm

A superb performance. This says If you are coming to play football against us and not put lots of men behind the ball, be prepared for a hammering! Evatt picked the right side. To the man we looked like a well-oiled proper football team. I have no idea how we will look next season without Traff. He was outstanding today. The entire team played well including Mbete who fitted in like someone said as if he has been playing the position with us for years, but Traff, Charles, Shoretire and Jones have to be mentioned. The undoubted MoM was Santos. He played like a man possessed. Best I've seen him play and to finally break his "ducks" with not one, but two... we couldn't have made up a better story. We are a train ploughing through the forest at the moment. The Evatt 2nd half serge in well and truly on its way. We will fear no one. Bring it on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:43 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 pm
A superb performance. This says If you are coming to play football against us and not put lots of men behind the ball, be prepared for a hammering! Evatt picked the right side. To the man we looked like a well-oiled proper football team. I have no idea how we will look next season without Traff. He was outstanding today. The entire team played well including Mbete who fitted in like someone said as if he has been playing the position with us for years, but Traff, Charles, Shoretire and Jones have to be mentioned. The undoubted MoM was Santos. He played like a man possessed. Best I've seen him play and to finally break his "ducks" with not one, but two... we couldn't have made up a better story. We are a train ploughing through the forest at the moment. The Evatt 2nd half serge in well and truly on its way. We will fear no one. Bring it on.
:pissed:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

I don't think he will, luckily for us.

To be very clear, I'm also a big long-time admirer and I love what he brings to our team, however my view of him is that he's a very good third tier centre forward rather than one who looks like belongs higher up the footballing pyramid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 pm

This week's extrapolated form tables. ICYMI, this is each contender's form over the last 6/8/10/12 games extrapolated over the rest of the season and added on to their current total. Clearly things won't work out exactly like any of these scenarios (for a start, it's difficult to get fractional points) but it's useful to keep a weather eye on things.

This week's main thing to notice is Shrewsbury's (very) recent form shooting them up the reckonings - on last 6/8 form they're in the play-offs, thanks to their last 6 being WWWWWW. Today for example they went behind to a Dennis Politic goal but were 3-1 up by the oranges and held off a rally (Jamie Proctor scored!) to win 3-2.

Wycombe, too, are on a decent roll - as Derby found out today. And we go there next Saturday...

Other big change from last week is that Derby's loss and Plymouth's win means Argyle finish top two in three of the four scenarios, despite Derby looking on course for high-90s points.
form extrap.png
form extrap.png (55.15 KiB) Viewed 34708 times

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:00 pm

Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 pm

form extrap.png
So we just need the EFL to properly investigate Derby and SW's fairly obvious overspending and dock them some points?

Must be a hotline number...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:00 pm
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 pm

form extrap.png
So we just need the EFL to properly investigate Derby and SW's fairly obvious overspending and dock them some points?

Must be a hotline number...
I'm fairly sure they might have some (historic) questions about us too. The only thing holding the whole charade together is mutually assured destruction...

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:12 pm

One of the more interesting points on the extrapolation table is we are well clear of seventh place.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:15 pm

I’m not that sure that Plymouth will fade - Derby starting to look a long way back. Anything is possible still but Plymouth are solid enough. Ipswich in the playoffs anyone?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:10 pm
I'm fairly sure they might have some (historic) questions about us too. The only thing holding the whole charade together is mutually assured destruction...
How very dare you, sir. Squeaky clean, us lot. All misunderstandings long under the bridge. Oh so very solvent and not at all on the raggedy edge.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:16 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:10 pm
How very dare you, sir. Squeaky clean, us lot. All misunderstandings long under the bridge. Oh so very solvent and not at all on the raggedy edge.
I only suggested the more errant of their fanbase might raise an enquiry :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:15 pm
I’m not that sure that Plymouth will fade - Derby starting to look a long way back. Anything is possible still but Plymouth are solid enough. Ipswich in the playoffs anyone?
Ipswich need to buck up to even make the playoffs. Been in poor form for months.

Plymouth did well today. But Pompey also had a lot of shots - the vast majority off-target. I’m intrigued to see how they do without their super keeper once he’s kept busy.

Supposition, of course. It all is. Passes the time though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:26 pm

The reality is we've passed the first big test - which was could we win away against a top half, form side. Apparently yes, we could do that. With a bit to spare. We have to repeat that at least 4 more times - Wycombe, Pompey, Sheff Weds and Exeter.

As Insane has said, we have got to keep winning the games we are supposed to win at home; but it remains a very difficult set of away fixtures.

12 points this month would have been a very good haul, given the games. We are half way there after 2 games.

We've not had squad depth tested since January, so that'll be the next big thing. Can we go Sat (now)-Tues-Sat-Weds-Sat-Tues-Sat and still perform to our level? If we are still right on it March 5th we will know we've got a very good chance.