Nothing Posh about pasties. V Peterborough away Sat 11-Feb 3,0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Nothing Posh about pasties. V Peterborough away Sat 11-Feb 3,0'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:26 pm
The reality is we've passed the first big test - which was could we win away against a top half, form side. Apparently yes, we could do that. With a bit to spare. We have to repeat that at least 4 more times - Wycombe, Pompey, Sheff Weds and Exeter.

As Insane has said, we have got to keep winning the games we are supposed to win at home; but it remains a very difficult set of away fixtures.

12 points this month would have been a very good haul, given the games. We are half way there after 2 games.

We've not had squad depth tested since January, so that'll be the next big thing. Can we go Sat (now)-Tues-Sat-Weds-Sat-Tues-Sat and still perform to our level? If we are still right on it March 5th we will know we've got a very good chance.
We don’t need to win all those four away games…not for the play offs at least…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:32 pm
We don’t need to win all those four away games…not for the play offs at least…
Play-offs schmay-offs. I want to win the league. We can try for that until it can't be done. If we land in the play-offs, fine. I'll cope.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:00 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say our shoddy pitch is helping somewhat with the turnaround in fortune away from home. No longer are we going from a carpet to muddy sandpits. I think we've levelled the playing field, so to speak.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:32 am

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:48 am

Anyone able to watch replays on iFollow at the moment? Nothing is working for me at the minute.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:48 am
Anyone able to watch replays on iFollow at the moment? Nothing is working for me at the minute.

Not of today.

But of previous matches, yes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:59 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:00 am
I'm going to go out on a limb and say our shoddy pitch is helping somewhat with the turnaround in fortune away from home. No longer are we going from a carpet to muddy sandpits. I think we've levelled the playing field, so to speak.
Love it! We have pub players, we need to give them pub pitches! Masterstroke.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:32 am
So what's that. Two assists for Jones and one for Jerome? Plus two "some people think they should be assists" for Shola on the penalties.

Fabulous for Jones. People keep writing him off and he just keeps ploughing on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:05 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 am
Not of today.

Seems like it's just some accounts that are affected then. Would like a few more yays or nays, to know if I'm in the minority or majority.

No fixes on my end seem to rectifying it. So I'm assuming it's an EFL issue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:13 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:05 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 am
Not of today.

Seems like it's just some accounts that are affected then. Would like a few more yays or nays, to know if I'm in the minority or majority.

No fixes on my end seem to rectifying it. So I'm assuming it's an EFL issue.
I'm fairly sure my acount with VPN has a block on it. Not sure if that helps or not, but they were quite happy to take my ~£509 in promotion season when COVID was a thing...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:13 am
I'm fairly sure my acount with VPN has a block on it. Not sure if that helps or not, but they were quite happy to take my ~£509 in promotion season when COVID was a thing...
I'm not blocked. At least I don't think so. I can currently watch the Posh replay, because it's the first video on the page and I can click play on a loaded video. The videos on the match pages won't open.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:07 am

Aye, I can watch that too :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:12 am

Tactically interesting from the coaching staff in the first half, I have to say.

Midfield set up almost as a diamond at times with Morley as a 6 and Shoretire as a 10. Morley was asked to drop into the back three to allow Santos to shadow Clarke-Harris. When Santos was in the three Morley man-marked Poku. The wide centre backs were allowed to go man-for-man on the wide players when needed.

Very few centre backs at this level can live with Clarke-Harris and he gave Santos a proper game in the first half, but Santos edged it.

We basically just asked everyone to win one-on-one battles and the system made sure there was always cover. I really like it.

Regardless of what was said about Peterborough being crap, they weren't. Their set-up was solid and they had entries into the box, they just couldn't beat us one-on-one. We weren't lucky, we were very well drilled; but they'd have put a couple past a lesser side in that first half. They are a dangerous side going forward.

Evatt's shown a lot of faith in his players in the first half and they've repaid him. Can't help but feel that was him asking his team to show they can go toe-to-toe with players from the Championship and dominate them. Second half will be fascinating.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:22 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:12 am
Tactically interesting from the coaching staff in the first half, I have to say.

Midfield set up almost as a diamond at times with Morley as a 6 and Shoretire as a 10. Morley was asked to drop into the back three to allow Santos to shadow Clarke-Harris. When Santos was in the three Morley man-marked Poku. The wide centre backs were allowed to go man-for-man on the wide players when needed.

Very few centre backs at this level can live with Clarke-Harris and he gave Santos a proper game in the first half, but Santos edged it.

We basically just asked everyone to win one-on-one battles and the system made sure there was always cover. I really like it.

Regardless of what was said about Peterborough being crap, they weren't. Their set-up was solid and they had entries into the box, they just couldn't beat us one-on-one. We weren't lucky, we were very well drilled; but they'd have put a couple past a lesser side in that first half. They are a dangerous side going forward.

Evatt's shown a lot of faith in his players in the first half and they've repaid him. Can't help but feel that was him asking his team to show they can go toe-to-toe with players from the Championship and dominate them. Second half will be fascinating.
Yeah, I was thinking the same, but you beat me to it. 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:50 am

Also, what a player Shola Shoretire is, by the way.

Loves the physical stuff, technically way beyond this division, works as hard as any player in the team and is way more mature than you'd expect. Some immaturity came through when he was demanding he be allowed to take the penalty, but in open play he is the best outfield player we've had in some time in terms of obvious, raw talent.

Posh couldn't live with him. He drifted past players in the middle, won the ball and they could only stop him by fouling him. If he can add power as he develops physically he's a shoe-in Premier League player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:10 am

Slightly concerning thing I didn't notice mentioned anywhere, Mbete wasn't a planned sub - he went off with issues in both hamstrings. Jerome had to go over to the bench and tell Evatt to take him off and Mbete then nearly went down and signalled to the bench.

Hard to see him being fit for Tuesday if he's tweaked something as badly as it looked like he did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:10 am
Slightly concerning thing I didn't notice mentioned anywhere, Mbete wasn't a planned sub - he went off with issues in both hamstrings. Jerome had to go over to the bench and tell Evatt to take him off and Mbete then nearly went down and signalled to the bench.

Hard to see him being fit for Tuesday if he's tweaked something as badly as it looked like he did.
Given how he was bouncing round after the game can I suggest it might have been a bit of cramp?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:29 am

Let’s hope it’s just cramp.

Longer-term morning-after worry. Evatt said a whole lot right postmatch but I can’t help thinking that his comments about Posh being front-foot and taking us on will not have gone unnoticed. Other managers would already have seen the difference between this Saturday and last Saturday against a poorer team sitting back. It’s already no secret that we can be affected by blatant timewasting (which is a related but separate issue). It will be interesting to see how we deal with the next low block.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:29 am
Let’s hope it’s just cramp.

Longer-term morning-after worry. Evatt said a whole lot right postmatch but I can’t help thinking that his comments about Posh being front-foot and taking us on will not have gone unnoticed. Other managers would already have seen the difference between this Saturday and last Saturday against a poorer team sitting back. It’s already no secret that we can be affected by blatant timewasting (which is a related but separate issue). It will be interesting to see how we deal with the next low block.
Well quite. It’s no wonder Shoretire looks great at Charlton and Peterborough when space is offered. But it’s a different story against a ‘low block’(ugh) as you say.

It’s definitely something we need to find more answers for. We struggle to inject our own tempo and rely on the counterpunch to add it.

Our weakness is quality delivery and obviously when teams do restrict space effectively delivery becomes crucial.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:52 am

Players like Shoretire, Nlundulu, R Williams and Adeboyejo were brought in partly for that reason, it seems - to ask different questions. The best idea is always scoring first and scoring early.