Not too Keen on Milton....Home to M.K.Dons, Tues 11th Feb. 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Not too Keen on Milton....Home to M.K.Dons, Tues 11th Feb. 7-45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:06 pm

(Yeah, I know it's Keynes) Milton was super intelligent, but not a bundle of laughs like the old Wombles. They've left all that behind now and we're not laughing but taking every game seriously. Best to ignore league positions and just get the job done.No false feathers despite our recent goal salvo, just focus and be professional.

"Paradise lost, but Bolton won" is the headline we want. Go :Jedi: :Jedi: :Jedi: get them Wombles.... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Not too Keen on Milton....Home to M.K.Dons, Tues 11th Feb. 7-45.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:31 pm

One of the best defences in the division against one of the worst attacks.

Their style of play should suit us down to the ground, but we have to be on it.

On paper we win, but we will only beat them if we match the effort we've seen recently. If we don't press them and stop them passing they are capable of opening us up. We're not brilliant at closing spaces in the box, our best defending happens outside the box. We need to deny them the spaces they thrive in and match then one-on-one like we did Posh.

We need to absolutely hammer them for the first hour. I want to see panic on their faces from minute 1.

The issue we will have is the transition into Eisa et al. When they get turnovers it'll be quick ball to a passing mid and then straight to a runner. They have genuine pace and it's how they've played away to get results on the road recently. Quick ball on the transition and in behind the fullbacks when in build-up.

Their squad is better than their league position, so we need to put them to the sword and remind them that they suck. Kill that confidence immediately.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:01 am

They're not to be taken lightly. A much better side than their league position suggests and a recent upturn in form suggests they should be safely mid table by the seasons end.

Hoping for a good atmosphere and the crowd will fire up the players and vice versa. It felt like there was a feeling in the air v Cheltenham that all we had to do was just turn up and they'd roll over. No one does in this division.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 am

We're at the stage of the season where 'how' becomes unimportant and simply the result matters. COYW!

As for team news - no new injuries says Evatt. Thomasson back in training but still 'a week or 2 away from being fit enough to play'.

Sounds like Big Dan, GJ, MJ won't feature at all in February as Evatt says 'hopefully in March/April the cavalry will be back'.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:06 pm

Thomason told me at the last home game that he was targeting Stanley for a come back. Reckon tomorrow night is too soon, but wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench vs Wycombe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:13 pm

What do we think the team will be?

I assume Jones RWB or would he give Isgrove or RW a go at home maybe?

Same front two or does Shola drop to number 10 and Victor start?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:15 pm

Squad management now more important than ever with the games coming thick and fast.

Not many obvious changes to make from Saturday, but perhaps Victor and Randy might be afforded starts?

There’s certainly a danger in overlooking McDons based on their league position, but in reality I’d imagine we’ll need to be on top of our game to take three points.

The big question is will my missus let me spend Valentines Day in the company of Derek Clark rather than her?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:21 pm

Need to get at these from the off, get the 1st goal and it'll open the game.

Really need another good performance. 15 cup finals. One game at a time.

COYWM!!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm

I'd start Victor. Think he needs a goal to settle down a bit and really get going here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:31 pm

As The Gun says, squad management is vital - Posh was first of 7 games in 22 days.

With an assist and a nearly-goal, it might be harsh to rotate Gethin out; we might want the more front-foot Izzy for this home game, but Bradley's back available for the tougher trip to Wycombe on Saturday. I'd expect Evatt to retain his vice-captain, with Izzy an option off the bench.

I do think we might bring in Randy for John. I know the Welshman needs minutes, but he could come on and ask different questions. Might also be good for him to feel the unveiled threat: if your performances drop, the manager drops you.

I would rest Lee to the bench, have Shola at 10 and bring in Adeboyejo, who as jmjhb says might just be starting to prickle that he hasn't scored yet. Quite possible we return to Lee 10 / Shola 9.5 on Saturday.

Rest of team same as Saturday, I think. Certainly I'd continue with Mbete – let the fans have a look at him, see how he does at home. Delighted to see him surge on for the move that led to one of the penalties. I'm sure the watching Johnston and Iredale applauded, too.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm
I'd start Victor. Think he needs a goal to settle down a bit and really get going here.
Victor and Charles up top with Shola in behind seems reasonably likely. Lee rested for Wycombe.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:13 pm
What do we think the team will be?

I assume Jones RWB or would he give Isgrove or RW a go at home maybe?

Same front two or does Shola drop to number 10 and Victor start?
I thought he might give Shoretire a break, but he can't start Lee tomorrow, so presume we'll see a midfield of Dempsey & Morley with Shoretire just behind Charles & either Jerome, or Adeboyejo

Defence will stay the same barring any knocks, I'm sure
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Shoretire gets his rest next Tuesday
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 pm

I’m definitely concerned about Morley and Dempsey holding up. Both played the full 90 on Saturday, right?

If we’re comfortable tomorrow I’d like to see one or both of them be taken off early.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:47 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm
Victor and Charles up top with Shola in behind seems reasonably likely. Lee rested for Wycombe.
This will probably be the most likely line up. Then if we're comfortably in the lead then Evatt will start to sub and rest key players I think.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:16 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 pm
I’m definitely concerned about Morley and Dempsey holding up. Both played the full 90 on Saturday, right?

If we’re comfortable tomorrow I’d like to see one or both of them be taken off early.
Yes, and plenty more besides. The last league game they didn't both start was Derby at home before Christmas, and they've both tended to go the distance in most games.
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 13.11.44.png
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 13.11.44.png (84.76 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
This is why I fretted about getting another midfielder in January. That said, Thomo is on the way back and if Shoretire settles at 10 then Lee becomes another option.

But with both those two - especially Dempsey - it's not so much a worry about slowing to a standstill (as arguably was happening to Bradley), rather the fear of a muscle pinging in a season-ending way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 pm

I'd throw in that young lads like Mbete who haven't played much first team football and evidently had cramp or some sort of muscle fatigue Saturday probably are not that used to being asked to go again Tuesday night.

So I'd not be surprised if he was on the bench. We ask a lot of running from our centre halves and he won't be used to that either.

And of course Kachunga is back so is another option for number 10 (I assume he won't play up front given the competition there now).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:42 pm

Kachunga can come on to give the good players a rest if we're winning, but preferably not in any other circumstances.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 pm
I'd throw in that young lads like Mbete who haven't played much first team football and evidently had cramp or some sort of muscle fatigue Saturday probably are not that used to being asked to go again Tuesday night.

So I'd not be surprised if he was on the bench. We ask a lot of running from our centre halves and he won't be used to that either.

And of course Kachunga is back so is another option for number 10 (I assume he won't play up front given the competition there now).
I was thinking the same thing Insane. He only played 205 minutes for Huddersfield over four months, another 90 tomorrow will be tough for him. How do you shuffle it around though? Jones to RCB, shift Toal to LCB and put Isgrove at RWB?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:49 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:27 pm
[I was thinking the same thing Insane. He only played 205 minutes for Huddersfield over four months, another 90 tomorrow will be tough for him. How do you shuffle it around though? Jones to RCB, shift Toal to LCB and put Isgrove at RWB?
Other side of it is that younger players tend to recover more quickly if all he was feeling was bad cramp.

If Mbete isn't up to it then the natural move recently has been to put Jones in for Mbete and Williams down the right.

Not convinced I'd want to drop Izzy in against MK pace for his first start back.

Preferred team for me would be: Traf, Toal, Santos, Mbete, Jones, Morley, Dempsey, Williams, Shoretire, Charles and Vik.

We can't really be sure who is and isn't feeling it, but I think Williams needs a start if possible and I'd like to see Vik get 60-70 minutes at home to show us what he's about.