Not too Keen on Milton....Home to M.K.Dons, Tues 11th Feb. 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not too Keen on Milton....Home to M.K.Dons, Tues 11th Feb. 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 am

There was so much to like last night. The swagger we played with, the fact we are absolutely playing far less slow predictable build up and actually have a lot of variety to our game. Declan John - wow. Dempsey - his best performance for us and possibly one of the best midfield displays I've seen. He was absolutely brilliant. The back 3 all scoring plus Gethin. The fact we finally figured out that you need to put corners between the goddamn posts. The delivery on the corners. The way Mbete attacked it. Toal's finish. Randell's finish. The fact that we did not stop.

We have to qualify all this with the fact that MK Dons came and opened the game up, aren't very good, can't defend set plays and more or less offered us a gimme. But they were good going forwards and we coped with it - they had power and pace on the counter but for the most part we looked really solid. Mbete really impressed me. He looked like he'd played for us for years. Really classy in that LCB role.

Shoretire was all over the park and his touch and control just breathtakingly good. You can see already he's learned so much from his short time here. Again MK Dons left spaces for him and he found them with ease but you can only beat what was in front of you.

I wouldn't be living up to my reputation though if I didn't point out the one slight negative - and that is simply we haven't worked out Adeboyejo yet and he hasn't worked us out yet either. He's strong as an ox and holds it really well but we spread out and he's just not used to that he clearly wants someone to give him the simple option so he can then spin in behind and wants/needs that early pass or cross or delivery and isn't getting it. His touch and control probably aren't quite at the Bodvarrson level so I think we need to adapt a little. Also needs a goal - he's come close a few times but feels like its not going in. Needs that confidence boost. There is a player in there, you can see it, but we need to find ways to bring it out. Early days of course. If we could get him scoring - then who knows what could happen?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:17 am

Great performance, a pleasure to watch over the candlelit curry at Casa Barnet. Even Mrs B was somewhat impressed: “Haven’t you spent years being shit?”

Evatt again very feet-on-ground, but again thanking the opposition for being open. I know, I know, it’s no secret that we are better against attacking teams, but we need every point and if we’re held by a mid-table team whose manager switches to a low block then says “we know how good Bolton are, we can’t just play our normal game” then I for one will roll my eyes until I get a headache.

I’m an optimist not a curmudgeon and if we play well at Wycombe, who are rumbling into ominous form, I will start to believe this season might end well. For now, enjoying the ride.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:22 am

Wonderfully efficient performance and could have been more had it not been for the keeper making 2/3 exceptional saves - Let's not worry about how dreadful they were off the ball - Our intensity, pressing, decision making, desire and deliveries into the area were fantastic and we're finding a ruthless streak now, which is great!

Shoretire does the pressing side of things as well as K.Lee and is a beautiful mover of the ball. Fleet footed, nice balance and low centre of gravity and has an eye for a pass, too. Once he starts scoring, he won't look back!

Wing backs great again. Bradley has terrific energy, but Jones is a great decision maker - When Bradley is on the wing, he's often there on his own, as we know he can cover the ground. With Jones, we get players around him and running ahead of him and look a real threat

I said on Saturday, now that Santos is off the mark, he'll add a fair few more. Could be looking at 7-8 for the season now - What an upturn!

Saturday will be very, very different, but if we play like that, we'd beat anybody in this division
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:28 am

I'd like to point out that through no fault of Bradley's we look a better side when he's not in because we aren't always looking for him to provide an outlet. In fairness this may be John's resurgence too as obviously we suddenly have an option down the left now but yeah - we feel less one dimensional. Of course Connor is straight back in but I hope we use the out ball to him as an option rather than our main 'go to' from now on. John offering up should mean we are more balanced by natural cause.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:29 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:22 am
Wonderfully efficient performance and could have been more had it not been for the keeper making 2/3 exceptional saves - Let's not worry about how dreadful they were off the ball - Our intensity, pressing, decision making, desire and deliveries into the area were fantastic and we're finding a ruthless streak now, which is great!

Shoretire does the pressing side of things as well as K.Lee and is a beautiful mover of the ball. Fleet footed, nice balance and low centre of gravity and has an eye for a pass, too. Once he starts scoring, he won't look back!

Wing backs great again. Bradley has terrific energy, but Jones is a great decision maker - When Bradley is on the wing, he's often there on his own, as we know he can cover the ground. With Jones, we get players around him and running ahead of him and look a real threat

I said on Saturday, now that Santos is off the mark, he'll add a fair few more. Could be looking at 7-8 for the season now - What an upturn!

Saturday will be very, very different, but if we play like that, we'd beat anybody in this division
Only thing I'd question is bolded as I feel whilst he's an absolutely willing runner and is clearly improving this side of his game he's a way off this side of the game yet. He'll get there though because he is showing the attitude to do it - and Lee is an excellent bloke to learn this from.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:33 am

You don't always have to nick the ball - He sends midfielder and defenders towards their own goal and makes them play longer passes.

He's excellent at that side of it (but you're absolutely entitled to your wrong opinion :-) )

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:33 am
You don't always have to nick the ball - He sends midfielder and defenders towards their own goal and makes them play longer passes.

He's excellent at that side of it (but you're absolutely entitled to your wrong opinion :-) )
He's a grafter but just doesn't (yet) have the intelligence Lee does. I'd say he often tries to win the ball too early when actually he should just be pressing - youth and over eagerness. And Lee is so intelligent in when he presses and when he doesn't whereas Shola is a bit 'all in' at times. I mean its not a criticism - he's a kid learning and Lee is the best we have at it. Shola brings stuff Lee cannot and that's why I think its a great scenario to have two different number 10's.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am

Well I tactically turned down the opportunity to watch this one on iFollow in order to spend the evening with Mrs Gun, but another tremendous result!

Great to hear that John was back to his best and Mbete has started well - those injuries to Iredale and Johnston had the potential to significantly derail us, but it sounds like that won't be the case.

Pleased also to see that Dempsey was afforded a bit of a rest, but would have liked to seen Morley withdrawn too. Those two have become an essential pairing for us and I would worry if either of them picked up a knock.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:34 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am
Well I tactically turned down the opportunity to watch this one on iFollow in order to spend the evening with Mrs Gun, but another tremendous result!
Yeah, I've had adopt similar tactics since Atletico at home in 200(8?). The missus had decided to "share my hobby" that year so I thought I'd landed the deal with the sit down grub, bubbly shite, padded seats in front of Atleti box and a 1-0 win, but no, apparently not...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 pm

I thought we pressed superbly and it's great that we're suddenly a threat on set pieces but I think we've played better and been more creative going forwards than we were last night.

They possess a threat up top that hopefully will nick points off some of our competitors.

Victor doesn't look an upgrade on Baka. Yet. Towards the end last night I thought he lacked aggression trying to get on the end of crosses but that could be fitness I suppose. Clichéd I know but he needs a goal sooner rather than later.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:39 pm

That result was made all the better by the fact that MK Dons clearly have some really talented lads. They've 5 we've had interest in and who would all have done well under Evatt, but we made it look very easy generally. Paris Maghoma, the Brentford lad, clearly has loads of ability. Jack Tucker, in a woefully-organised defence, also looked like exactly the kind of defender who would thrive here with us. Our lot were given the platform to perform and they were fighting the tide.

All of the back three possess pace now and that's making a huge difference to how we play. Eisa got in behind a couple of times, but with our recovery speed and holding a good line we mostly looked very comfortable squeezing that midfield and trusting the technical quality of the three in midfield.

There's not a clogger in this side now. Everyone can play football as well as work hard. We've got options in our play and we're starting to see what Evatt can do with players who fit his system.

I'm delighted to see Insane enjoy the footy and getting excited. Obviously that means we are now cursed, but it's worth it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:39 pm
That result was made all the better by the fact that MK Dons clearly have some really talented lads. They've 5 we've had interest in and who would all have done well under Evatt, but we made it look very easy generally. Paris Maghoma, the Brentford lad, clearly has loads of ability. Jack Tucker, in a woefully-organised defence, also looked like exactly the kind of defender who would thrive here with us. Our lot were given the platform to perform and they were fighting the tide.

All of the back three possess pace now and that's making a huge difference to how we play. Eisa got in behind a couple of times, but with our recovery speed and holding a good line we mostly looked very comfortable squeezing that midfield and trusting the technical quality of the three in midfield.

There's not a clogger in this side now. Everyone can play football as well as work hard. We've got options in our play and we're starting to see what Evatt can do with players who fit his system.

I'm delighted to see Insane enjoy the footy and getting excited. Obviously that means we are now cursed, but it's worth it.
He looks absolutely dreadful and has all season and that was absolutely a bullet dodged. To pretend otherwise is laughable.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm
He looks absolutely dreadful and has all season and that was absolutely a bullet dodged. To pretend otherwise is laughable.
If you say so.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 pm
Victor doesn't look an upgrade on Baka.
Don't agree here. Technically better, better movement, etc. He's taking time to settle, but I can't say I'm worried about him. He's snatched at a few things and he looks in need of a settler. There was a Jones cross he should have buried in the first half, but he was there to have a go at it because of a cute bit of movement that Baka didn't have in his locker. He runs off his partner to find space, which isn't a feature we've had in other forwards and means he's there to be found. Once that clicks he should score a few.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:31 pm
I'm starting the think Sonic was the problem all along. Up the mighty fecking whites. Only just realised I'm in an Airbnb in the middle of nowhere next Tuesday so that should be fun.

What a football club.
Errrr I'll point to the fact that as I rushed in last night from the hospital we were only three goals to the good. After a couple of brews we were five goals to the good so nerrrrrr :mrgreen:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 pm
Victor doesn't look an upgrade on Baka. Yet. Towards the end last night I thought he lacked aggression trying to get on the end of crosses but that could be fitness I suppose. Clichéd I know but he needs a goal sooner rather than later.
Not really happened for him yet, has it?! An incredibly muscular frame, but he's not very aggressive, quick or powerful with it. Probably the only player of ours who lost more duels than he won. But it's still early days. Maybe he's a bit anxious and needs to loosen up a little. A goal would do him the world of good

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:39 pm
Jack Tucker, in a woefully-organised defence, also looked like exactly the kind of defender who would thrive here with us.
No thanks!!! Powder puff player

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:35 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Same thing was said about Mbete by Huddersfield fans and Santos by our fans. Neither time was it true.

When you put a defender in a bad set up fans tend to see a bad defender. Tucker and Maghoma in midfield stood out as good players. Physically, technically and in terms of their general play, both will fit into better sides very easily.

If MK Dons survive this season they'll probably be a much better team next term. If they get relegated then plenty of that team will find new homes in better sides and thrive.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:16 pm

Two relegations in successive seasons isn't good for anyone's CV. Neither is playing sh*te all season. Hard pass.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:57 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:52 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Same thing was said about Mbete by Huddersfield fans and Santos by our fans. Neither time was it true.

When you put a defender in a bad set up fans tend to see a bad defender. Tucker and Maghoma in midfield stood out as good players. Physically, technically and in terms of their general play, both will fit into better sides very easily.

If MK Dons survive this season they'll probably be a much better team next term. If they get relegated then plenty of that team will find new homes in better sides and thrive.
They were labelled as shite, not soft.

He's either unhappy with his manager, so not putting effort in, or he's soft - Either way, no thanks. Some of the defending was abysmal by them, especially the 5th - As soon as Williams has his first touch, they all stop and give up