Concerned over the stadium's new name? Toughsheet

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Concerned over the stadium's new name? Toughsheet

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:41 pm

Tough shit can be used as a way of telling someone that they will have to accept a situation they do not like because they have no choice.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Oh, give over. There's no equivalence at all.
Sure there is, it's the same arrogance.

Every other club at this level might need money badly enough to make all kinds of deals, but not the mighty BWFC. We're too big for this league, too good for the sponsors available at this level and shouldn't have to slum it in the Papa Johns.

It's the same attitude for all of it, even if some people only subscribe to some bits of the "too good" mantra.

Hopefully in 5 years time we really will be too good for these things, but right now we are also-rans and we need investment to get back to where we feel we belong. I'd love to leave the tinpot stuff behind, but let's not kid ourselves.

We need the money to keep the place ticking over and nobody else is offering it.

If you want to argue the brand association will impact other sponsorships I'll listen to that argument, but I don't think it will.

Like I say, I'd rather it was AO and I'm amazed we've not been able to get some kind of deal with that lot yet. I'm not going to turn my nose up at £750k a year just because some fans are full of themselves as regards the club and can't take some banter, though.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:07 pm

We've got some proper mard arse snowflakes amongst haven't we. I know it's not the most prestigious sponsorship deal in history, but if an adult can't take a few tough shit jokes then you've got bigger problems than our new stadium sponsor name. :roll:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Oh, give over. There's no equivalence at all.
Sure there is, it's the same arrogance.

Every other club at this level might need money badly enough to make all kinds of deals, but not the mighty BWFC. We're too big for this league, too good for the sponsors available at this level and shouldn't have to slum it in the Papa Johns.

It's the same attitude for all of it, even if some people only subscribe to some bits of the "too good" mantra.

Hopefully in 5 years time we really will be too good for these things, but right now we are also-rans and we need investment to get back to where we feel we belong. I'd love to leave the tinpot stuff behind, but let's not kid ourselves.

We need the money to keep the place ticking over and nobody else is offering it.

If you want to argue the brand association will impact other sponsorships I'll listen to that argument, but I don't think it will.

Like I say, I'd rather it was AO and I'm amazed we've not been able to get some kind of deal with that lot yet. I'm not going to turn my nose up at £750k a year just because some fans are full of themselves as regards the club and can't take some banter, though.

Get to feck.

I'm under no illusions as to where we currently are or where we ultimately fit into the footballing pyramid - I've watched us play in all four tiers of the football league and don't feel we have a divine right to be anywhere.

I'd just prefer us not to sign up with a company that names itself after a double entendre and I'd think the same if any other club in our league or the league below did because I think it's a bit tacky.

That's it. Nothing more.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:18 pm

For the sake of sanity.

The stadium will be officially named The TS Community Stadium.

Today was a PR stunt to create some publicity.

I think it's worked.

Stories in The Guardian and The Sun with a fan base meltdown.

I didn't know who Toughsheet were yesterday but I now know the MD, annual turnover and profits.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:10 pm
Get to feck.

I'm under no illusions as to where we currently are or where we ultimately fit into the footballing pyramid - I've watched us play in all four tiers of the football league and don't feel we have a divine right to be anywhere.

I'd just prefer us not to sign up with a company that names itself after a double entendre and I'd think the same if any other club in our league or the league below did because I think it's a bit tacky.

That's it. Nothing more.
Complaining about a sponsor which just handed the club that amount of money is also tacky and lacks class, yet here we are.

"Thanks for handing a League One club a few million quid, local lad who made good" would seem to be the classier response, if you're worried about decorum.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:35 pm

More "embarrassing" or "small-time" than the Wham Stadium? Or the Completely Suzuki Stadium? The Mazuma Stadium?

Frankly, think there are some on here who need to get over themselves sharpish. We're a League One club. This lot are local and offered most money. That's all there is to it.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:50 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:35 pm
More "embarrassing" or "small-time" than the Wham Stadium? Or the Completely Suzuki Stadium? The Mazuma Stadium?

Frankly, think there are some on here who need to get over themselves sharpish. We're a League One club. This lot are local and offered most money. That's all there is to it.

I'm not keen on the double entendre. It's just not the kind of thing I like generally (whether it's us, any other football club, business, whatever). "Gimmick" marketing of that nature isn't really for me.

A personal view only, though, and that's all that was expressed.

I haven't threatened any boycott and neither am I particularly concerned about banter from supporters of other clubs. None of us would've made it this far with the club if we were.

And obviously it's possible to think the above without suffering delusions of grandeur.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:39 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:18 pm
For the sake of sanity.

The stadium will be officially named The TS Community Stadium.

Today was a PR stunt to create some publicity.

I think it's worked.

Stories in The Guardian and The Sun with a fan base meltdown.

I didn't know who Toughsheet were yesterday but I now know the MD, annual turnover and profits.

That smacks of common sense. It's not that anybody will care what I (any of us) think anyway. T.S.Community Stadium it is. Onwards and upwards.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:18 pm

The biggest shame for me is that we have to stop being the University of Bolton Stadium. That was the only decent naming right we've had since the move.

I would like to see the formal relationship with the University continue. Maybe they'd like to sponsor the buses. Someone needs to.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:54 pm

Hypothetical if you won the Euromillions 15 week rollover and was in a frivolous mood...

What name would we be giving the stadium?

I think I'd go for

Burnden Way Stadium.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:54 pm
Hypothetical if you won the Euromillions 15 week rollover and was in a frivolous mood...

I think I'd go for

Burnden Way Stadium.
The Keith Hill Onion Farm and Community Football Ground.

The Owen Coyle Ping-Pong Arena.

The Gary Megson Memorial Stadium.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:14 pm

That last one is a belter to kick start a funeral.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:20 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:14 pm
That last one is a belter to kick start a funeral.
It appeals to both sides. The minority who liked him get to honour him and for the ones who hated him it offers hope for the future.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:41 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:54 pm

I think I'd go for

Burnden Way Stadium.
The Lofthouse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:08 am

I'm a dinosaur, "New Burnden Park". (although I do like Djb's "The Lofthouse" )

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:20 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:08 am
'The Lofthouse' was mine not DJB's!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:20 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Haha. I agree The Lofthouse is a good one, better than the Sheethouse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:20 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Apologies, my error. It's a belter.

I don't suppose we'd go for " The Burnden Hot-dogs, Magees Ale, Woodbines and Urine Emporium" true as it once was.... :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:43 am

I genuinely love Lofty - I named my daughter after him - but we've already got a stand named after him, and quite a lot of the time people can't be arsed using that name.

Lofty is our most revered icon ever, and rightly so. But I always feel naming a ground after one person is a bit... restrictive. I'd have all four stands named after people (with sponsorship if need be) but I'd stop short of the whole ground.

I mean, all things equal, money ignored, I'd rather walk down to Lofty Lane than the Toughsheet. But all things aren't equal. And the morning after, the new (nick)name is sort of growing on me...