Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

PageyBwfc88
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by PageyBwfc88 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:26 pm
PageyBwfc88 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 pm
I very rarely post (read every thread at 4am in the morning and scream in my head about the right guys throwing the kettle on) coming from the other side of the world but man I’m so proud of the boys making it to Wembley and I’m so proud of the fans who deserve a chance to fill out the stadium as the away support has just been incredible this year.

That video with Evatt and Kacha made me shed a tear as we’ve all been incredibly tough on him and the fella deserves it.

I’ve never been more likely to make a horrible financial decision in trying to buy a ticket to Wembley and flying to the other side of the world but good lord it feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

It’s just incredibly nice to feel proud of our club again. It’s happening much more often these days and long May it continue. I
Get in touch with the Latin America fan club - I think they are over here for the final! Those lads are absolutely Bolton daft I’m made up for them they can see us at Wembley.
Well I’m from Aus so unfortunately that’s almost as far away as you lot!

Honestly there used to be nothing better than when we’d play a Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal type and watch the game in a pub at some stupid hour and you’d find one other Bolton fan in the crowd.

This cup final will no doubt not be played at any pub down under but one of the perks of running a brewery means I may as well show it and see if I can get the other Aussie strugglers along (Plymouth fans allowed but they will pay double for the beers).

PageyBwfc88
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by PageyBwfc88 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 pm
PageyBwfc88 wrote:
I very rarely post (read every thread at 4am in the morning and scream in my head about the right guys throwing the kettle on) coming from the other side of the world but man I’m so proud of the boys making it to Wembley and I’m so proud of the fans who deserve a chance to fill out the stadium as the away support has just been incredible this year.
Great, to hear from guys who don't post much but are always around. My physical days are long done, but I'm always here in spirit. :D
A lot of the time here in Aus I won’t get the chance to see the games so I feel like I’ve gotten to know who gives the best descriptions of the game. We have our pessimists, optimists, realists but hell it’s always fun to read and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

To yourself Tango but all the others who post here consistently, just know that it’s always appreciated by a lot of people who might not get to live and breathe Bolton these days but boy do some of us have terrible sleeping patterns.

Having an active fan forum isn’t that common for a lot of lower league sides (I still remember the views from the other side back in the higher leagues!) so I consider myself very lucky that we have a fan base like we do. It’s incredibly appreciated.

If I don’t make it I hope all of you get to experience that day at Wembley. For the love of god let it be a decent one this time!

PageyBwfc88
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by PageyBwfc88 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:34 pm
PageyBwfc88 wrote:

That video with Evatt and Kacha made me shed a tear as we’ve all been incredibly tough on him and the fella deserves it.

I’ve never been more likely to make a horrible financial decision in trying to buy a ticket to Wembley and flying to the other side of the world but good lord it feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

It’s just incredibly nice to feel proud of our club again. It’s happening much more often these days and long May it continue. I
Hope you make it for the final, mate. Fingers crossed for you.
Fingers crossed for you and the majority of fans here first and foremost. I’ll do my best but a silent match thread come the cup final knowing everyone will be at the game will definitely make me smile.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:20 am

If you set off from an airport in Aus you'll arrive at Wembley before the people trying to get there on the train. Probably cost less too.

Might as well come over.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:07 am

Aye it's obviously the wrong decision, but you know it's right. Plenty will stand you a pint. Hope you make it across.

Also hope we get the green man pub. Funny, plus the best pub around Wembley.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:11 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:07 am
Aye it's obviously the wrong decision, but you know it's right. Plenty will stand you a pint.
A mate of mine came across from New Zealand and the club sorted him out a signed shirt, photos with the players etc. Was good PR. Would be worth contacting Jamie Stod or someone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:40 am

PageyBwfc88 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:59 pm
This cup final will no doubt not be played at any pub down under but one of the perks of running a brewery means I may as well show it and see if I can get the other Aussie strugglers along (Plymouth fans allowed but they will pay double for the beers).
A brewery you say? It might be cheaper for us to come across and watch it in Oz, than buying shit beer at Wembley... :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:57 pm

Wrong thread, knobhead
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:40 pm

Argyle have been allocated nearly 40,000 tickets for the final according to their press release.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:40 pm
Argyle have been allocated nearly 40,000 tickets for the final according to their press release.
Which means we get the same unless Neil Hart has refused some.

I can’t see us taking 40 or even close.

25-30 my guess.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm

25-30 my guess.
I hope it's a decent turn-out. I think the people working at the club deserve it. If it's fewer than 30,000 people I'll be disappointed, but could easily see it with some of the apathy around about anything other than Premier League and FA Cup level games.

Plymouth don't think they're too good for this one and will flock to Wembley in droves.

"We're so big time we couldn't even outsell Plymouth" is quite the statement some fans want to make. Hopefully plenty see what it means to staff and players and get down there to back them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm

25-30 my guess.
I hope it's a decent turn-out. I think the people working at the club deserve it. If it's fewer than 30,000 people I'll be disappointed, but could easily see it with some of the apathy around about anything other than Premier League and FA Cup level games.

Plymouth don't think they're too good for this one and will flock to Wembley in droves.

"We're so big time we couldn't even outsell Plymouth" is quite the statement some fans want to make. Hopefully plenty see what it means to staff and players and get down there to back them.
My anecdotal research suggests it’s little to do with thinking we are ‘big time’ and indeed there is a lot more enthusiasm for this than one might expect and much more an issue with transport and cost. Train strikes. People are hard up. It’s a ballache getting to Wembley on a Sunday and an expensive one.

There is also the unavoidable fact that many families who are struggling financially are having one eye on possibility of a play off final to come.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 pm
My anecdotal research suggests it’s little to do with thinking we are ‘big time’ and indeed there is a lot more enthusiasm for this than one might expect and much more an issue with transport and cost. Train strikes. People are hard up. It’s a ballache getting to Wembley on a Sunday and an expensive one.

There is also the unavoidable fact that many families who are struggling financially are having one eye on possibility of a play off final to come.
My own anecdotal experiences are that there's both. Some are struggling (I'm going to try to get general sale tickets for a couple of mates who've had a bad time of it recently), but there are plenty of the other kind.

If people can't afford to go, have commitments they can't break etc - fine. Life happens and football can't always be the main priority. I'm not expecting people to crawl across broken glass.

However, there are a few I know (and a few others I know know, and so on) who "Would go if it was the FA Cup final", but will watch this one on TV.

People got really upset that Hart called fans "customers"", but plenty of the people who moaned loudest about that are acting like customers over this final.

The relationship is reciprocal. The team needs support in a game that is important for them, even if it's not seen as important by some fans. The manager and players have been clear how they feel about it.

Anyone who is able (financially, physically, whatever "able" mean to that person) to be there should be there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:49 pm

Those that can will, those that can't won't. No need for the guillotine.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:26 pm

My own anecdotal experiences are that there's both. Some are struggling (I'm going to try to get general sale tickets for a couple of mates who've had a bad time of it recently), but there are plenty of the other kind.

If people can't afford to go, have commitments they can't break etc - fine. Life happens and football can't always be the main priority. I'm not expecting people to crawl across broken glass.

However, there are a few I know (and a few others I know know, and so on) who "Would go if it was the FA Cup final", but will watch this one on TV.

People got really upset that Hart called fans "customers"", but plenty of the people who moaned loudest about that are acting like customers over this final.

The relationship is reciprocal. The team needs support in a game that is important for them, even if it's not seen as important by some fans. The manager and players have been clear how they feel about it.

Anyone who is able (financially, physically, whatever "able" mean to that person) to be there should be there.
Dunno. People should go if they can and want to. If not then it’s their choice.

I think if you have the chance to go and don’t take it then it’s a bit of a shame, but it’s up to people to decide what’s best for them.

But there is loads of enthusiasm for this. I don’t think you can say the town is apathetic.

But you need to be realistic about the general size of our support willing to make these trips. We didn’t sell out against Reading…yes we’d been before that season but still. We didn’t sell out against Preston in Cardiff.

I think we probably have a max of 32-35K prepared to go to Wembley and that’s with a fair wind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 pm

I don't think it's a case of "if you don't want to go then that's fine" - I don't think it is fine to not go because you don't fancy it.

My view is that supporters have responsibilities towards the club, just as the club does towards supporters.

This is one of those times when you get up early doors and travel all day if that's what you need to do, because the manager and players need your support. Maybe you give up a couple of Friday night sessions to pay for it.

Even if you don't see the FA Trophy as a big deal (and I don't), this is a huge day for everyone who has worked to save the club - both football and commercial. It's clearly massive for Evatt and his players, given how they've spoken about it. This is when being a supporter actually matters - when the club needs you, not just when you need it.

I think the club has earned a show of support from the town. I think Bolton fans should be willing to make some sacrifices of time and money to demonstrate that support to the team on April 2nd.

Loyalty works both ways.

Like I say, if people genuinely can't make it then they can't. No issue. People who can't be bothered can get in the bin, though. They're letting the club down.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 pm
I don't think it's a case of "if you don't want to go then that's fine" - I don't think it is fine to not go because you don't fancy it.

My view is that supporters have responsibilities towards the club, just as the club does towards supporters.

This is one of those times when you get up early doors and travel all day if that's what you need to do, because the manager and players need your support. Maybe you give up a couple of Friday night sessions to pay for it.

Even if you don't see the FA Trophy as a big deal (and I don't), this is a huge day for everyone who has worked to save the club - both football and commercial. It's clearly massive for Evatt and his players, given how they've spoken about it. This is when being a supporter actually matters - when the club needs you, not just when you need it.

I think the club has earned a show of support from the town. I think Bolton fans should be willing to make some sacrifices of time and money to demonstrate that support to the team on April 2nd.

Loyalty works both ways.

Like I say, if people genuinely can't make it then they can't. No issue. People who can't be bothered can get in the bin, though. They're letting the club down.
I don’t always agree with you but you always make sense and have a logical argument.

This is nonsense though. Sorry. It just is.

We have the highest season ticket count since being a premiership club. That’s the fans backing the club, and it’s new owners.

I don’t doubt the vast majority of season ticket holders will be at Wembley. I hope the club does a sensible ticketing policy so that each season ticket holder can buy additionals at the same time, that will help the attendance.

But cos someone can’t or doesn’t want to attend this doesn’t mean they aren’t backing the club or are a ‘customer’.

I think historically we always struggle to take as many down to Wembley as you might think we would. But it’s not a short journey and it’s not cheap. But it’s not a time or place for super fan awards.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:56 pm

Be surprised if we took more than 22,000 personally. Can’t suddenly see loads wanting to go to this when they wouldn’t travel down the road for a community game at £5 a ticket for example.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:37 pm
I don’t always agree with you but you always make sense and have a logical argument.

This is nonsense though. Sorry. It just is.

We have the highest season ticket count since being a premiership club. That’s the fans backing the club, and it’s new owners.

I don’t doubt the vast majority of season ticket holders will be at Wembley. I hope the club does a sensible ticketing policy so that each season ticket holder can buy additionals at the same time, that will help the attendance.

But cos someone can’t or doesn’t want to attend this doesn’t mean they aren’t backing the club or are a ‘customer’.

I think historically we always struggle to take as many down to Wembley as you might think we would. But it’s not a short journey and it’s not cheap. But it’s not a time or place for super fan awards.
I don't think it's a super fan issue. I'm certainly not someone who could claim "super fan" status.

I do think people choosing to miss this one are making a mistake, though.

Showing up to give visible support to this team and the staff matters more than the cup. When you see how much this means to Evatt and his players you need to show up. For me it's part of that two-way loyalty issue. I expect the club to go out of its way to support fans (I will be making a big issue of the buses thing if they cut them without a solution for fans who struggle to travel), but there are times when the club needs the fans to go out of their way too.

This is one of those "it's not about you, it's about the club" games. You show up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:00 pm

How many did we take the last time we played at Wembley (don’t mention the game)?