Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:15 am

Accrington bricks are as tough as they come. Can our somewhat depleted warriors cement a victory at the Crown Ground or will it be another fine mess we've got into? Will our Laurels be Hardy enough for the task? Have at it then... :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 am

Its going to be interesting to see how we do. I feel it has a stodgy 1-0/2-1 written all over it one way or another.

Its clear we are taking it very seriously given the comments about the game from Bradley post match and indeed Mbete when he joined.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Another fine mess Stanley...Away at Accrington in the Cup. Wed 22-Feb. 8-O'clock.

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 am

I can imagine this being taken very seriously, like season defining seriously.

Would be very surprised (and equally pissed) if he decided to pull a Megson and field a weakened side. Chance for Wembley, lets have at it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:05 pm

Live on Sky Sports, huge Bolton away following, a chance of a first cup final in 20 years... what's not to like? :wink:

My spirits were dampened somewhat on Saturday, but woke up this morning feeling bullish again. Dempsey being available would be huge, but even if he's out we should have enough.

Assuming no Demps or Gethin, I'd go with:

Traff

Toal Santos Mbete

Morley Sheehan

Bradley Williams

Lee

Jerome Charles

I don't really want Declan John for matches where it's likely to be attritional, and I like the option of Randy's long throw as a wildcard to throw at them.

I'd rather not have to start Sheehan, but can't see a viable alternative. Thomason has been out for quite a long time, so I don't think it would make sense to throw him straight in.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:05 pm
Live on Sky Sports, huge Bolton away following, a chance of a first cup final in 20 years... what's not to like? :wink:

My spirits were dampened somewhat on Saturday, but woke up this morning feeling bullish again. Dempsey being available would be huge, but even if he's out we should have enough.

Assuming no Demps or Gethin, I'd go with:

Traff

Toal Santos Mbete

Morley Sheehan

Bradley Williams

Lee

Jerome Charles

I don't really want Declan John for matches where it's likely to be attritional, and I like the option of Randy's long throw as a wildcard to throw at them.

I'd rather not have to start Sheehan, but can't see a viable alternative. Thomason has been out for quite a long time, so I don't think it would make sense to throw him straight in.
That's the same as my XI other than I'd just gone for John over Randy based on form over the past few weeks. But I'd be happy with yours too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:59 pm

The long throw is a good point but I'd rather have John playing for set piece delivery personally in a game like this. You've got to match a team in a battle for sure but you also need ways of scoring against them - probably the biggest concern is how we score goals against Wycombe's and Derby's who are well organised at the back and will restrict space and nullify how we can score goals in open play. Accrington will try and do the same - so delivery becomes paramount in open play and from set plays. I don't think we're 'soft touches' in the sense that whilst we lost the midfield to Wycombe that was a function of playing Shola who simply isn't going to do the job yet needed in those sorts of games and we should have played him up front and Lee behind. But I think we can go toe to toe generally - our midfield is a little weak at times but generally we can if we set up right match teams.

Its the scoring of goals in these games that I am mainly worried about. You won't get the space Charlton, Posh and MK Dons offered and short of a set piece or an early goal you can pretty much nail it down as a 'struggle'. We've got to find ways to score more goals in these sorts of games when teams condense space I think we've got to find ways of cranking up the pressure and make them constantly defend their box. At times we are just too passive in these games as a team and it leads to the opposition being too comfortable in what they're doing and their ability to stop us scoring.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:04 pm

I mentioned it in the Wycombe thread but I'd like to see our midfielders and strikers have a crack from outside the box occasionally. It was the way we finally broke down Cheltenham and provided you don't overdo it, it mixes things up, tests the keeper (hopefully) and can give scraps to the front 2 to follow up on.

If he's fit and still plays for them, you can be sure Ethan Hamilton will try a couple for them. That was a strong part of his game.

I fear another 0-1 defeat.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:07 pm

I think we’ll win…wouldn’t be surprised to see Thomason start either. Don’t think he trusts Sheehan.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:29 pm

Would Isgrove not be an option, never lets us down and was on the bench last Saturday?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:36 pm

In centre mid? That would be a kick in the knackers for poor old Josh.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:07 pm
I think we’ll win…wouldn’t be surprised to see Thomason start either. Don’t think he trusts Sheehan.
That last bit might not be an exclusive group of one! :D

Feels to me like Sheehan is not a great pick, if we're expecting them to go toe to toe in MF...(and I think they will try that)///

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... emi-final/

Dempsey and Jones having scans today. Jerome a doubt with another back issue.

Oh goody! Doesn't sound to me like Dempsey and Jones are likely to play if its as far as needing a scan.

A lot riding on Charles to do the business against his old club and Kachunga to have his 'Defreitas moment' and actually bang a couple in.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:50 pm

Oofsh. If Jerome is out (and I think we must now assume Geth and Demps are) then we’ve got very little choice in the entire central section. Dion-Kacha up top; Lee at 10; and either Sheehan or Thomo alongside Morley is our only choice as we are also down to three for centre-backs.

We do, however, have four wingbacks, so that’s good….

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Ah feck, that Jerome news is a right shitter. If that Carty lad wasn't on loan in Ireland I think I'd have been tempted to play him in front of Kachunga, but as is we pretty much have no other viable options.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:08 pm

The issue is availability. Not just because of a lack of options, but also because it can have a negative impact mentally. Players rarely feel as tired as when they have to play because there are no other options. Throw in that we may have to ease off the intensity in order to have forward players able to run for the full 90, rather than our usual 60-70, and you've got issues.

The saving grace is that they are crap. Far worse than last year, having lost the spine of a good side on free transfers.

We are much the better side, but it's getting very, very tight in terms of selection and Evatt won't be able to tailor things much. That'll even things up a bit.

For me it's about how the lads react psychologically. Sky cameras on, a bit of adversity...how's your character?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:08 pm
The issue is availability. Not just because of a lack of options, but also because it can have a negative impact mentally. Players rarely feel as tired as when they have to play because there are no other options. Throw in that we may have to ease off the intensity in order to have forward players able to run for the full 90, rather than our usual 60-70, and you've got issues.

The saving grace is that they are crap. Far worse than last year, having lost the spine of a good side on free transfers.

We are much the better side, but it's getting very, very tight in terms of selection and Evatt won't be able to tailor things much. That'll even things up a bit.

For me it's about how the lads react psychologically. Sky cameras on, a bit of adversity...how's your character?
I hope it's better than when we played Stockport in front of cameras and with a bit of adversity... there could be 6 starters from that night....

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 pm

Oh goody! Doesn't sound to me like Dempsey and Jones are likely to play if its as far as needing a scan.

A lot riding on Charles to do the business against his old club and Kachunga to have his 'Defreitas moment' and actually bang a couple in.....
He's on a 3rd time lucky with the overhead kicks so you heard it here first. Kachunga overhead kick to win it in the 88th minute.

COYWM!!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 pm

He's on a 3rd time lucky with the overhead kicks so you heard it here first. Kachunga overhead kick to win it in the 88th minute.
Know it was only a short cameo, but I thought he gave us a chunk of forwards momentum when he came on, on Saturday...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:15 pm

My spidey senses are telling me we might lose this. It just has the feel of "that" FA Cup semi-final for some reason.

I'd obviously much rather be wrong.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:19 pm

This would be a 1-0 loss if we were in November/December. It will be a yardstick of how much we've improved imo.