I see no ships; only hardships. V Pompey away, Tues 28th Feb. 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

I see no ships; only hardships. V Pompey away, Tues 28th Feb. 7-45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:03 am

Sailing on the crest of a wave due to sticking four goals past Cheltenham, Portsmouth, although a fair way short of the mighty Whites on points, have three games in hand. Only when all the teams have completed their fixtures will a true picture emerge. Saturday we played canny a little, got ahead and stayed their without breaking any pots, but we'll have to change up a couple of gears here in the city of Old Ships. We don't want to be left contemplating our nav(a)els., so man the guns Whites and stand by to repel boarders off the starboard bow. . :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: I see no ships; only hardships. V Pompey away, Tues 28th Feb. 7-45.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:36 am

We'll beat them. It's a notoriously difficult place to travel and they'll be highly motivated not to lose to us three times in a season. Yet still, we will beat them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:42 pm

Is this the game Keiron Lee will start or will he be saved for Morecambe?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:00 pm

We will need a huge physical recovery. I will be amazed if we can win this one after how we looked Saturday. Be delighted with a point and then go beat Morecambe.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 pm

All we have to do is be Bolton Wanderers. We haven't got where we are by flukes but by being a good side. Carry on with that and forget the hype.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:03 am

Did our ticket allocation sell out? I may unexpectedly find myself able to go, but our site (or at least the mobile version of it) appears not to want to sell me a ticket.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:27 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:03 am
Did our ticket allocation sell out? I may unexpectedly find myself able to go, but our site (or at least the mobile version of it) appears not to want to sell me a ticket.
Online sales ended Friday. We've only sold about half of what we asked for.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 am

This side keep surprising me by scrapping for, and gaining points, in circumstances that previous Bolton sides would have capitulated.

After Saturday though, when our performance at best, could be described as 'leggy', a midweek game away at a decent side will surely be too much. Expecting nowt and fearing the worst.

0-2 defeat
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:08 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:27 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:03 am
Online sales ended Friday. We've only sold about half of what we asked for.
ok, ta.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:12 am

Iles: “Adeboyejo limped off midway through the second half but later assured reporters that it was only an impact injury and that he would be in contention to face Portsmouth.”

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:43 am

I’d take a draw there, but don’t expect to get one. Remain intact, don’t get pumped and regroup for Saturday
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:50 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 am
This side keep surprising me by scrapping for, and gaining points, in circumstances that previous Bolton sides would have capitulated.

After Saturday though, when our performance at best, could be described as 'leggy', a midweek game away at a decent side will surely be too much. Expecting nowt and fearing the worst.

0-2 defeat
If any players are looking for an excuse, this game offers one. If there are tired players out there then the long journey down South isn't going to leave them feeling refreshed. Nobody enjoys flying down there for games.

I think it'll be put to the players as a challenge and they'll rise to it. As you said, they keep knocking down targets. We've beaten this lot twice this season and it's another game where our levels matter most.

Mousinho has won 50% of his games, so they're no joke; but he's played 3 good sides so far and not beaten any of them.

Far from an easy game. In Bishop and Morrell they have two of the best players in the division. If they give us a severe reality check then they do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:32 am

Looking at our fixtures up until the week after the Wembley final....

Portsmouth Away
Morecambe Away
Ipswich Home
Sheffield Weds Away
Exeter Away

That's a fairly horrendous run of fixtures that possibly won't yield a great deal of points. And leaves us (games in hand for others etc) potentially in a situation of needing to play catch up in our last few fixtures. Which isn't a good place to be.

Morecambe looks huge - a must win. The rest all look tough and what we need to do is avoid losing all of them - its also an opportunity - win all these and boy do we look well placed even for the unthinkable....

But for me when you look at these games the next two look absolutely critical. 3 points from them is ok. Less problematic. 4 or more is 'hold onto your hats' territory.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 am

I think as Evatt says, they're all pretty big games from here on in...but if we have serious aspirations we need to find a way...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am

Reality check number 99:

In the near future,there will be, without doubt, some Port Vale style games just as there may be a few Posh and M.K.Dons,( although five-nils usually come as often as on time buses), but it will without doubt be a tougher world from here on in as the spectre of relegation looms menacingly in the lower realms of the league inspiring tooth and claw tenacity amongst the tail-enders.

Hopefully, our own fight will be totally upward looking, but just like the Baz-Ball cricket dictum, draws aren't a satisfactory option. We need to win and get beyond the point where we need to worry. You don't lose points in football from losing games, but you don't win them either. A sobering thought is that talk of Championship football in the same breath as displays like last Saturday is pure pipe-dreaming and wishful thinking. Even scrapping untidy wins is a long way short of being good enough. In short, only the best Bolton Wanderers will make it upwards. Good enough we are, but we need to prove it.........now!

Pompey's famous flagship is The Victory. For once, the armada need to beat the home-boys and hopefully we won't be kissing Hardy or anybody else but rather kicking a few jolly-jacks up the breeches. Man the kettles boys, A nice 2-0 will do.

COME ON YOU WHITES....!

ae:)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am
Reality check number 99:

In the near future,there will be, without doubt, some Port Vale style games just as there may be a few Posh and M.K.Dons,( although five-nils usually come as often as on time buses), but it will without doubt be a tougher world from here on in as the spectre of relegation looms menacingly in the lower realms of the league inspiring tooth and claw tenacity amongst the tail-enders.

Hopefully, our own fight will be totally upward looking, but just like the Baz-Ball cricket dictum, draws aren't a satisfactory option. We need to win and get beyond the point where we need to worry. You don't lose points in football from losing games, but you don't win them either. A sobering thought is that talk of Championship football in the same breath as displays like last Saturday is pure pipe-dreaming and wishful thinking. Even scrapping untidy wins is a long way short of being good enough. In short, only the best Bolton Wanderers will make it upwards. Good enough we are, but we need to prove it.........now!

Pompey's famous flagship is The Victory. For once, the armada need to beat the home-boys and hopefully we won't be kissing Hardy or anybody else but rather kicking a few jolly-jacks up the breeches. Man the kettles boys, A nice 2-0 will do.

COME ON YOU WHITES....!

Yeah - I think we're getting towards the result being much bigger than the viewing spectacle. We weren't great v PV, but 3 points and I'm well happy, especially after the midweek game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:01 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am
Reality check number 99:

COME ON YOU WHITES....!

Yeah - I think we're getting towards the result being much bigger than the viewing spectacle. We weren't great v PV, but 3 points and I'm well happy, especially after the midweek game.
Oh yeah - performances count for nothing at this stage. Its all about the end result. However we get it that's all that matters.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Heads out of the Wembley clouds and focus on beating Pompey. Let's not make classic errors..Just hope the players do likewise. ae:)

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:50 am

Can't see us beating these and our run of fixtures urghhh.... We really need some big performances.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:49 am

Yeah I'm not confident about getting anything from tonight's game. Much as I understand the sentiment of the 'only results matter' comments, good performances obviously give you a better chance of getting good results. Away at Pompey we'd have to get extremely lucky to get anything without playing well.

Lee and Charles presumably come back into the starting lineup, and then I'd say the only other changes might by John for Williams and possibly Shoretire, Jerome or Nlundulu for Vic.