Wembley Details

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wembley Details

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:26 pm

Anyone got any good tips for parking outside of London - normally would go on the train but unless the strike is cancelled I'm not up for risking what a post-strike day Sunday service looks like being...

More willing to risk more local public transport. Don't fancy coach or parking in Wembley....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:33 pm

Those were the days when you could walk down Wembley Way with a fiver in you hand and guarantee getting a ticket. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:33 pm
Those were the days when you could walk down Wembley Way with a fiver in you hand and guarantee getting a ticket. :wink:
What year? I certainly remember that NOT being the case when I was younger at least for FA Cup finals etc...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:26 pm
Anyone got any good tips for parking outside of London - normally would go on the train but unless the strike is cancelled I'm not up for risking what a post-strike day Sunday service looks like being...

More willing to risk more local public transport. Don't fancy coach or parking in Wembley....
If your concern is the national rail strikes then you'd need to drive to somewhere on the tube network. Your best bet would be trying to find somewhere in NW London (Ruislip/Harrow type area maybe) on the metropolitan line, so you can go directly to Wembley.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'll be driving to Rickmansworth, parking by the station and getting the Metropolitan line to Wembley Park. Takes about 25 mins I think.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If your concern is the national rail strikes then you'd need to drive to somewhere on the tube network. Your best bet would be trying to find somewhere in NW London (Ruislip/Harrow type area maybe) on the metropolitan line, so you can go directly to Wembley.
I suppose its more the strike is the day before - and that can overspill onto the services the next day especially....early morning....I think I'd be fine risking services down there - less so relying on it for the whole thing!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Not my part of town mate but like others I would suggest investigating parking at the end of a suitable Tube line - or a commuter station on a train line.

Wembley Park is on the Metropolitan (Tube) line.
Wembley Park is also on the Jubilee (Tube) line.
Wembley Stadium is on Chiltern Railways.
Wembley Central Station is on the Bakerloo (Tube) line and the London Overground line from Watford Junction to London Euston.

If you follow those lines outwards you should get options; generally speaking the farther out from Wembley the better/cheaper for parking, probably worth any higher train/tube fee. Consider cross-checking with CityMapper and Parkopedia.

Oh and the M40 rinses the M1 any day, especially if you treat yourself to the M6 toll to avoid crawling through Birmingham.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Not my part of town mate but like others I would suggest investigating parking at the end of a suitable Tube line - or a commuter station on a train line.

Wembley Central Station is on the Bakerloo (Tube) line and the London Overground line from Watford Junction to London Euston.

If you follow those lines outwards you should get options; generally speaking the farther out from Wembley the better/cheaper for parking, probably worth any higher train/tube fee. Consider cross-checking with CityMapper and Parkopedia.

Oh and the M40 rinses the M1 any day, especially if you treat yourself to the M6 toll to avoid crawling through Birmingham.

For those who do use the M40 I recommend parking at Ickenham

Small station on a housing estate will not be busy
On the Uxbridge Metropolitan line from Wembley Park
What goes around may still come around

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:42 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
What year? I certainly remember that NOT being the case when I was younger at least for FA Cup finals etc...
Why do you always doubt everything? The 65 Cup Final Liverpool v Leeds. Five of us went on a coach without tickets and got in with no trouble. Liverpool won 2-1, Ian St John scored the winner in extra-time. I never claimed it was yesterday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:42 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Why do you always doubt everything? The 65 Cup Final Liverpool v Leeds. Five of us went on a coach without tickets and got in with no trouble. Liverpool won 2-1, Ian St John scored the winner in extra-time. I never claimed it was yesterday.
Wasn’t questioning you was just a bit shocked is all. I can honestly imagine that being the case say pre 60’s but shocked that happened in 65. Fascinating.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:57 pm

According to Google, £5 in 1965 is the equivalent of £127.45. I reckon you could get sorted for a papa John's final ticket if you had that kind of cash on you :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm

Wasn’t questioning you was just a bit shocked is all. I can honestly imagine that being the case say pre 60’s but shocked that happened in 65. Fascinating.
You do realise we are talking ticket touts, don't you? Tickets are no good to them as souveniers after the game; they need to sell them, hence the walking market. "Keep the fiver on view in your hand near the ground, and somebody will sort you out, we were told, and so it came to pass. Only bad bit is we were split up and I got stuck in the middle of a mob in White. :(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:57 pm
According to Google, £5 in 1965 is the equivalent of £127.45. I reckon you could get sorted for a papa John's final ticket if you had that kind of cash on you :wink:
I think Sir might be underestimating how far yer fiver went in the 1960's. You'd have enough change from the ticket, that it'd have got you 15 pints, trip there and back, 40 Woodbines and you still had change for the chippy... (allegedly)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Avoided the toll road on my last couple of journeys which added 2 mins and 5 mins respectively. Might have got lucky, but no complaints from me re the M6. At £8.20 each way the toll road is becoming ridiculously expensive!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm

You do realise we are talking ticket touts, don't you? Tickets are no good to them as souveniers after the game; they need to sell them, hence the walking market. "Keep the fiver on view in your hand near the ground, and somebody will sort you out, we were told, and so it came to pass. Only bad bit is we were split up and I got stuck in the middle of a mob in White. :(
Ok so that makes sense. I thought you meant tickets were freely available. Wonder how much you’d have had to pay in 66?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:48 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Small station on a housing estate will not be busy
I’m thinking Stanmore for the M1. Local knowledge welcome!

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:48 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Small station on with plenty parking - will not be busy
I’m thinking Stanmore for the M1. Local knowledge welcome!
Spot on - Stanmore is only a few minutes from M1 and will have plenty space in station car park
What goes around may still come around

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:06 pm

Wealdstone FC offering free parking to Bolton supporters. 7 minute walk from there to Ruislip station.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 pm

Can someone do me a favour? If you’ve already got access to tickets would you mind posting a screenshot of the current remaining (available) tickets? Just wondering how many are left in the lower stand. Hoping I can snag several when they’re on sale to members tomorrow. I know there’s plenty of seats left upper so it’s not an issue if not. Much appreciated.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:35 pm

Does anyone know if I'm a member?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!