Wembley Details

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Wembley Details

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:33 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:45 pm
Those big match jitters started in earnest today. I'm trying to play it chill outwardly, but inside it's just a constant mental stream of "God I hope we win what if we win we'd better win I really want to win".

Come on Bolton.
Can definitely relate to that!

Loving seeing all the new and lapsed supporters looking forward to the occasion. A great moment for all those kids too who've grown up during some grim times and stuck with us.

Personally though, it's all about the result. We've got to win. I'm bricking it. Can't imagine how much worse I'd be if it was a play off final.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am

Weirdly, if we lose the play-off final I might take solace in "Right - now we walk the league." (Obviously there are caveats.)

Losing a cup final is more like crushing a rose.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am
Weirdly, if we lose the play-off final I might take solace in "Right - now we walk the league." (Obviously there are caveats.)

Losing a cup final is more like crushing a rose.
Other way round for me. Lose this and we then go and win play offs. But losing the play offs is two seasons of setback.

This cup is a nice thing to win. If we don’t it doesn’t really define all that much.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:59 pm

I think last wembley has number me. I’m more I hope we have a good go - they are clear favourites…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:16 pm

We'll win. Keep the faith. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:56 pm
losing the play offs is two seasons of setback.
A very harsh reading.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
A very harsh reading.
To me it’s more like a small improvement every year. Next season it’ll be winning the play offs!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
A very harsh reading.
As in - the season you just had ultimately ended in failure and next season you’ve got to try again.

Going up and you have had a good season and next one you start a level higher. Double reward.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm

True, technically, but by that rationale surely 80-odd of the 92 clubs have "failure" seasons.

If staying up is a triumph (and it sometimes is), then you could make the same argument about progress. We're highly unlikely to finish lower than we did last season. As Prufrock said, reaching the play-offs would represent progress on last season; Worthy wasn't the only one who had us down for 7th or lower.

Depends on expectation and mindset, I guess. if we lose in the playoffs, I'll be disappointed but I'll think we were better than last season, and therefore I'll be hopeful we can improve again.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Other way round for me. Lose this and we then go and win play offs. But losing the play offs is two seasons of setback.

This cup is a nice thing to win. If we don’t it doesn’t really define all that much.

Tis but my opinion, but it' sport. The only reason we play is tossing a coin to win or lose, by giving of your best; otherwise, why play at all?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
A very harsh reading.
As in - the season you just had ultimately ended in failure and next season you’ve got to try again.

Going up and you have had a good season and next one you start a level higher. Double reward.
Unless, of course, you've been promoted beyond your means and ability, and you spend the next season being tonked on a weekly basis before getting relegated, and end up right back where you were supposed to be but with a team of individuals fatigued from being on the receiving end of hiding after hiding, and struggle your way to mid-table.

Depends on your position, I suppose. If you're, say, Sheff Weds, having been fighting for the title all season, and you end up slipping out of the top two then losing the play-off final, I can see where that might be considered Two Season's Worth Of Bad Things, because you were a shoo-in and you missed out. A team in our position? I'd say losing a hypothetical play-off final, while disappointing, is actually a vindication that we've done mostly good things this season, and gives us the confidence to go again next year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:29 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm
True, technically, but by that rationale surely 80-odd of the 92 clubs have "failure" seasons.

If staying up is a triumph (and it sometimes is), then you could make the same argument about progress. We're highly unlikely to finish lower than we did last season. As Prufrock said, reaching the play-offs would represent progress on last season; Worthy wasn't the only one who had us down for 7th or lower.

Depends on expectation and mindset, I guess. if we lose in the playoffs, I'll be disappointed but I'll think we were better than last season, and therefore I'll be hopeful we can improve again.
Yes to the last bit. If I thought we were up top, financially, I might be more inclined to see it as "failure," It looks more like progressive investment, so you're probably hoping for progressive improvement...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 pm

I just meant that I’d be less disappointed about losing a cup final than losing a play off final.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 pm
I just meant that I’d be less disappointed about losing a cup final than losing a play off final.
:D OK fair enough

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:48 pm

There's plenty stories of "we used the disappointment of losing the play off final to win the league the year after too".

Gun to my head I'd take promotion over tomorrow, but given there isn't one I'll be greedy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:43 pm

Should be alright leaving bags on the coach while we're at Wembley tomorrow, yeah?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:56 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:43 pm
Should be alright leaving bags on the coach while we're at Wembley tomorrow, yeah?
Ask driver. They could probably lock them in the luggage compartment...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:03 pm

I'm chill. Winning a cup is a "nice to have", but it's not the end of the world if we leave empty handed. I'll enjoy the day either way (unless it's Stoke all over again 😱).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:03 pm
I'm chill. Winning a cup is a "nice to have", but it's not the end of the world if we leave empty handed. I'll enjoy the day either way (unless it's Stoke all over again 😱).
This is how I’m feeling.

I didn’t mean to suggest losing the play off final for us would constitute failure. Just that the disappointment of that would for me be far greater than if we lose tomorrow.

I want us to win like. Badly. And to give all of us down there tomorrow a super day to remember. Boy do we deserve one of those.

But in a year I don’t think I will care either way all that much. Whereas the play offs or promotion do impact us for much much longer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:25 pm

General view on the wembley experience?
Tube / walking around and organization spot on.
That fan zone outside looked hard work - there was no way most queing were getting in.
Inside the kiosk / queues seemed fine - wish I could have drunk yesterday to be honest. Sounds like Brommers enjoyed the hospitality - anymore views?

Nice to think about it this time - after stoke I just put the whole thing out of my mind.