Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:25 pm
Not the end of the world…not many have won here this season!
We're competing against the teams at the top of the table. We should be winning this fixture if we're looking to ensure playoffs. Look at the rest of the top of the table against Morecambe:

Morecambe 0-3 Sheff Wed
Morecambe - Plymouth (yet to be played)
Morecambe 1-2 Ipswich
Morecambe 0-0 Bolton
Morecambe 1-1 Derby
Morecambe 1-0 Barnsley
Morecambe - Wycombe (yet to be played)
Morecombe 0-3 Peterborough
Morecombe 0-0 Shrewsbury
Morecambe 1-1 Portsmouth

Looking at that list we can't be too downbeat. We're matching the playoff pack with drawing against Morecambe.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:38 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:27 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:23 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:22 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:21 pm
Who'd swap Wembley for 6 points from Tuesday and today?
Madness.
We're going to miss out on the playoffs?
Some tough matches to come, then it gets theoretically easier for the last 8. But we're not winning them playing like this.
The streak has already started. We've had 3 poor games in a row. Ipswich and Wednesday are odds on to continue that.
Don't disagree with that, bud.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:42 pm

A point is not the end of the world. But our performance levels are going to be end of the world if we don’t seriously step them up.

We have a week now.

Ipswich is a must win game. Evatt needs to find some serious answers.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:38 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:27 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:23 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:22 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Madness.
We're going to miss out on the playoffs?
Some tough matches to come, then it gets theoretically easier for the last 8. But we're not winning them playing like this.
The streak has already started. We've had 3 poor games in a row. Ipswich and Wednesday are odds on to continue that.
Don't disagree with that, bud.
Think I have too high a standard for these players, we could turn up and beat Ipswich and Wednesday and think what if we'd beaten Pompy and Morecambe.

They're trying their best and we have to appreciate that, it's just frustrating as they give us glimpses of how brilliant they can be.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:51 pm

DJBlu wrote:

I know I would've.

Not good enough yet to split our priorities.
The bottom line is if we are playing like this we won’t get in the play offs let alone have a chance of winning them.

So it’s not about swapping Wembley for anything.

It’s asking why a team flying two weeks ago looks so utterly poor suddenly. What has happened? Tiredness accounts for some but I’m not having it’s all that. Mentality? I feel again we lack onfield leaders demanding people maintain performances even with some tired legs. Too many are too laxidasical. Santos as captain starts games lethargically and it sets the tone. A real lack of urgency and that transmits to our attacking play.

Evatt needs to urgently find some answers. And stop just talking about tiredness. Look objectively at performances and fix the issues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:53 pm

Also want to add. We’ve absolutely not come out of January stronger than we went into it.

Today we had two signings playing. Shoretire absolutely not as good as Dapo and Mbete only playing cos Johnston is injured. Lack of impact from new players and injuries to them have left our originals being flogged week in week out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:51 pm
DJBlu wrote:

I know I would've.

The bottom line is if we are playing like this we won’t get in the play offs let alone have a chance of winning them.

It’s asking why a team flying two weeks ago looks so utterly poor suddenly. What has happened? Tiredness accounts for some but I’m not having it’s all that. Mentality? I feel again we lack onfield leaders demanding people maintain performances even with some tired legs. Too many are too laxidasical. Santos as captain starts games lethargically and it sets the tone. A real lack of urgency and that transmits to our attacking play.

Evatt needs to urgently find some answers. And stop just talking about tiredness. Look objectively at performances and fix the issues.
The fact we got to Wembley the game before we started playing poorly has nothing to do with it? Take the Accy game out of the equation and we go into PV flying.

Saying it's not about swapping is tosh.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:00 pm

An important away point which might be the difference between 6th and 7th at the end of the season. The players worked hard but couldn't find a way in the final third, especially because we are playing too slow in the buildup, which allowed Morecombe to have 8 players defending in the box, very difficult to penetrate with them putting bodies on the line. I thought Mbete was our best player today, and I am happy that he has recovered after a couple bad games. Ipswich and Sheffield will play more open so hopefully we look better against them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:01 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:51 pm
DJBlu wrote:

I know I would've.

The fact we got to Wembley the game before we started playing poorly has nothing to do with it? Take the Accy game out of the equation and we go into PV flying.

Saying it's not about swapping is tosh.
We’d lost to Wycombe the game before and we didn’t play brilliantly at Accrington especially first half and really got a bit lucky they were down to ten.

If winning a semi and getting to Wembley is the reason we are struggling then that reflects bigger issues. Like a lack of leaders and players with real desire.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:53 pm
Also want to add. We’ve absolutely not come out of January stronger than we went into it.

Today we had two signings playing. Shoretire absolutely not as good as Dapo and Mbete only playing cos Johnston is injured. Lack of impact from new players and injuries to them have left our originals being flogged week in week out.
Shoretire's no more a striker in this system than Dapo was. He's a better 10 than Dapo was, though.

Mbete would be better if John wasn't next to him. Dec has gone back to being unforgivably lazy and I'm getting to the point where I'm done with him. Gifted player in some ways, but any 50/50 involving him becomes a 99/1 and he won't track back or make anything of a poor pass. He doesn't offer any guidance to the kid playing inside him and certainly doesn't cover him.

We're no stronger than we came into January because most of the players we signed have been injured. None of the strikers could start today and that's where the issue is. When Nlundulu came on we got up the pitch far better. If he had been able to start, with Shoretire at 10, that's probably a very different game. I don't think Dan was amazing today, but he gave us someone to play off and we improved on that basis. They fouled him, but he was strong enough to still use the ball despite that - whereas Dion or Kacha had to hit the deck and usually got nothing.

Our issue today was the same it always is away at Morecambe. Big lads who are allowed to foul as much as they like on a small pitch make life very, very difficult. We probably should have won, but could also easily have lost. Point is fine and we now have got to win at home.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:25 pm

We're still fine for the playoffs, although it will be in 6th rather than in 3rd-4th.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Shoretire's no more a striker in this system than Dapo was. He's a better 10 than Dapo was, though.

Mbete would be better if John wasn't next to him. Dec has gone back to being unforgivably lazy and I'm getting to the point where I'm done with him. Gifted player in some ways, but any 50/50 involving him becomes a 99/1 and he won't track back or make anything of a poor pass. He doesn't offer any guidance to the kid playing inside him and certainly doesn't cover him.

We're no stronger than we came into January because most of the players we signed have been injured. None of the strikers could start today and that's where the issue is. When Nlundulu came on we got up the pitch far better. If he had been able to start, with Shoretire at 10, that's probably a very different game. I don't think Dan was amazing today, but he gave us someone to play off and we improved on that basis. They fouled him, but he was strong enough to still use the ball despite that - whereas Dion or Kacha had to hit the deck and usually got nothing.

Our issue today was the same it always is away at Morecambe. Big lads who are allowed to foul as much as they like on a small pitch make life very, very difficult. We probably should have won, but could also easily have lost. Point is fine and we now have got to win at home.
We’ve had issues but a big lad who has played this season in this league was worked so hard he was injured and then what was meant to be a minor injury turned into weeks. Now he can only play a few minutes and looks like a poor Baka impression.

Shoretire is what I expected. Initial flash in the pan but he’s far from ready to be a central part of a team looking to win promotion in men’s football. Bit part here and there at best.

John was poor today. But again Randell hadn’t shown enough to displace him. Another who looks exhausted after half an hour.

The bottom line for me is non of the signings have really made enough impact to take the load off or to give us momentum,

I’m not necessarily saying you’d expect them too but January hasn’t kicked us on as it has previously.

Need to get the senior lads fit - we miss MJ and the George’s. Morley has been poor for past few weeks and clearly needs a rest.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:25 pm
We're still fine for the playoffs, although it will be in 6th rather than in 3rd-4th.
You say that. If others win games we aren’t in a play off position. A big IF but fail to win next week and I think we’d be outsiders to grab a top 6 spot with Wednesday up next then the final then a run of games we’d likely have to win all of or close to.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Some of the teams' games in hand are against each other. I'm really not worried.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:28 pm
We’ve had issues but a big lad who has played this season in this league was worked so hard he was injured and then what was meant to be a minor injury turned into weeks.
Keeping players fit has been our biggest issue for a long time now.

There's no point having loads of "options" in a 25 man squad if only 14 players are genuinely match ready.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:39 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm
Some of the teams' games in hand are against each other. I'm really not worried.
Wycombe have 3 games in hand on us, need 7 points, against teams that are not in the playoffs. Barnsley have 4 games and need 4 points to overtake us. Derby look to be above us after today if they continue as they are.

I think we have a good chance of dropping out of the playoffs before the end of March.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We’ve had issues but a big lad who has played this season in this league was worked so hard he was injured and then what was meant to be a minor injury turned into weeks.

There's no point having loads of "options" in a 25 man squad if only 14 players are genuinely match ready.
I agree. But I feel we need some know how here. Some investment. It’s very naive to be injuring lads who are match fit because we’ve ‘worked them too hard’. Bring Big Sam in as a consultant and ask him to build a sports science department. Will pay for itself.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:41 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree. But I feel we need some know how here. Some investment. It’s very naive to be injuring lads who are match fit because we’ve ‘worked them too hard’. Bring Big Sam in as a consultant and ask him to build a sports science department. Will pay for itself.
Why don't we skip the middleman and just build a sports science department ourselves

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree with most of this, especially the John comment. There were a couple moments when Mbete was working his sock off defending and stalling a Morecombe attack on the left, and I waited for John to come help him...no John in sight. Eventually Sheehan arrived running back in the middle..still no John. After Mbete did the job, he looked exasperatingly towards John and had the look of "where the hell were you???" and walked away.

Re Shola, I believe its a situation that he and the players are not on the same wavelength yet, and that will improve, but I agree, he is no No. #9, but the kid has something exciting to him. He needs time to adjust to the pace and strength of "big man" football.
Last edited by irie Cee Bee on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:41 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Why don't we skip the middleman and just build a sports science department ourselves
It assumes Evatt wants to or knows how to and could sell the need to the board. Given it’s not happened yet I would doubt that. Allardyce has contacts with some of the best in this field.