Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:45 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:39 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm
Some of the teams' games in hand are against each other. I'm really not worried.
Wycombe have 3 games in hand on us, need 7 points, against teams that are not in the playoffs. Barnsley have 4 games and need 4 points to overtake us. Derby look to be above us after today if they continue as they are.

I think we have a good chance of dropping out of the playoffs before the end of March.
Wycombe, Derby, Ipswich winning. Will all win. So will Barnsley.

We will absolutely need to win next week or I suspect that too 6 spot comes under serious pressure and I don’t back this lot under pressure. They would be in a run in needing to win week in week out. As we all take fifteen touches before missing the chance to shoot.

Weak mentally is my view. Lack leaders and grit.
Wycombe, Derby and Barnsley all failed to win. Weak mentally, all of them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Kippers, Shrimp boats and quicksands. Away to Morecambe Sat, Mar 5th 12-30 kick off.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:00 pm
Referee at Derby must have either of em on his Acca,

90+12 mins currently.
Time for the oppo to score! He's trying to help us! :-)

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:03 pm

In light of the other results, that's actually a good point...?

You would have expected Derby and Wycombe especially to pick 3 points up at home.

Panic fannying over for another week?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:03 pm

Top 2 out of reach but nice knowing that Wycombe will need 3 wins and 10 goals to overtake us. Still possible, and until it's mathematically impossible for us to drop out of the top 6 then the labias will be quivering for a while.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:05 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:03 pm
Top 2 out of reach but nice knowing that Wycombe will need 3 wins and 10 goals to overtake us. Still possible, and until it's mathematically impossible for us to drop out of the top 6 then the labias will be quivering for a while.
:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 pm

I thought we looked much more like our old selves there. Wasn't stellar, but the energy levels looked more like it after two really worrying performances.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:09 pm

Yep a point was fine given the results. Which are very favourable.

We should note though that next up is a resurgent Ipswich who having had a wobbly spell have won their last three scoring 9 without reply. They have Accrington at home midweek too. They are getting on a roll again and certainly will be much tougher opponents than they looked a few weeks back. They will fancy top two still.

A huge game. We need to be at our absolute best.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:22 pm

Plymouth-Derby, Barnsley-Pompey and Peterborough-Shrews all on Tuesday night too. Intriguing matches.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 pm

A week off to sort it on the training ground and a home game next up - I’m backing Evatt to sort it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:09 pm
Yep a point was fine given the results. Which are very favourable.

We should note though that next up is a resurgent Ipswich who having had a wobbly spell have won their last three scoring 9 without reply. They have Accrington at home midweek too. They are getting on a roll again and certainly will be much tougher opponents than they looked a few weeks back. They will fancy top two still.

A huge game. We need to be at our absolute best.
Agree, but I think we've seen most are capable of losing a couple. Whilst I can see the "maths" could work against us other than Sheff Weds, all seem occasionally vulnerable. A good run now would be uber...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:13 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:53 pm
Yeah. He terrifies defenders when he's got room...so they don't give him any...
We need other players occupying defenders. At the minute they man-mark Dion and foul him to death and then double-up on Shola.

When Dan or Vik play they tend to attract markers and leave space for a 10 to operate, I'd assume Jerome would offer the same.

We've no real pace in behind to stretch the opposition and open gaps, so it's a case of forcing defenders into clumps.

Unless we come across that unicorn of a referee who actually sees and gives fouls on our forwards. Today's ref was literally guessing. I've never seen a ref look around less. Zero awareness.
Agree with most of this, until we get to the fouls bit. They toss a coin and see what happens for sure, but a lot of the ones we point at, sometimes you get 'em, often you don't. It also looks, far too often for me, like we've played for the foul rather than the ball. Overall, we've had more fouls than we've conceded and 7 penalties (most in the Div), with none against... :-)
We'll you've set us up nicely for next week there :(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:47 pm

^^ I'm on a roll. We didn't lose! :-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:47 pm

Morecambe is a difficult place to go to. I’m disappointed we didn’t win, and think Evatt could’ve done more to do so, but it wasn’t a terrible performance or anything.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:04 pm
we're also prone to creating the "must win"
'This is the [wanderers] way'.

(Yes I've been watching Mando)
mandowanderer.jpeg
mandowanderer.jpeg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 688 times

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 am

Didn't know where to put this but apologies I've been radio silent for pretty much the last week.

It's just that me and Mrs Sonic have been away visiting family and friends as a spur of the moment thing after she got the ALL CLEAR :pissed:

The lung surgery was a complete success and the cancer is gone. Obviously she will have follow up care for the next 5 years but for now the future is very bright indeed.

I may even treat meself to a new kettle :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:35 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 am
Didn't know where to put this but apologies I've been radio silent for pretty much the last week.

It's just that me and Mrs Sonic have been away visiting family and friends as a spur of the moment thing after she got the ALL CLEAR :pissed:

The lung surgery was a complete success and the cancer is gone. Obviously she will have follow up care for the next 5 years but for now the future is very bright indeed.

Good god what superb news. A new kettle definitely is in order.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:44 am

:kettle: :kettle: :kettle:

Superb news, Sonic.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 am

sonicthewhite wrote:

Delighted for you and Mrs Sonic. Wonderful news.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:41 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:

Oh mate that's great. Big hugs all round.