"Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:26 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 pm
I’m not convinced that was a penalty. To me Flint pulls out the challenge.
Or bundles into him while holding his arm
Maybe. Looked at it twice now. Still not sure. Maybe I’m missing something but it’s not the stonewaller commentary are making it out to be. Not sure his foot makes contact but need the other angle. Looked to me like Charles was expecting it and went down.
I couldn't tell from the grainy iFollow but it's one of those that is either a pen or a dive. That pace and momentum either there's contact and a foul and there's not. My best reckon from the crappy replays was he bundled into him body wise rather than the leg, in which case it's still a pen. Gave Dion feck all all game the useless cnut.
I think he went down anticipating contact. As others have said he didn’t seem to protest that much himself.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:56 pm
Some on here may criticise Santos but again the Wed commentators were full of praise for him in Central defence. What's the opposite of rose tinted specs ?
Santos was outstanding IMO, quite a few Weds impressed with us tonight - as I keep saying much better when we concentrate on our own strengths & not just set up to nullify the opposition.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 pm
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:45 pm
Great point.
Indeed. I'm sure some of our members who couldn't stop posting when we were losing will be along shortly with praise.
I post win lose or draw.
You do indeed.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Some on here may criticise Santos but again the Wed commentators were full of praise for him in Central defence. What's the opposite of rose tinted specs ?
Sceps Detnit Esor.

Latin for a look beyond what you can see.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
He was absolutely superb other than for the goal. Which is a big if, tbf.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:04 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Santos was outstanding IMO, quite a few Weds impressed with us tonight - as I keep saying much better when we concentrate on our own strengths & not just set up to nullify the opposition.
Yeah - bit of a weak header in the lead up to their goal, but some great interceptions when we needed them, which in part prevented possible flood-gates...That one nearer the end, running towards our goal where he managed to clear it out for a throw, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on. :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:05 pm

Decent match summary from Marc Illes in Bolton News.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... h-verdict/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:16 pm

A lovely, unexpected and possibly non-budgeted point.

Came under a bit of pressure in the first half but felt were good value for the point.

I genuinely feared we’d get pumped, but we stood up to them and ground out a potentially invaluable point
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 pm

I thought we'd get smashed in this. It's great that we improved massively from the last few games. Our defenders are superb, both at defending and attacking, Santos was MotM from our side yet again, incredible player, incredible athlete. Gethin and Toal also exceptional, they're being asked to do everything (attack, defend, pass, be comfortable on the ball, defend high, cross) and for the most part they do it really well. You have to laugh at the criticism they get on here, Gethin the RCB getting slaughtered for not being a great LWB. Santos the drugged up non league carthorse. Even the Sheffield commentators were saying how good Santos was, as every away commentator does.

It felt like we grew in confidence during this game, we took the ball in midfield and turned on it, more and more which is something we've been lacking recently. Nice to see Sheehan have a good game for once, I hope he can keep it up, I don't feel he will, but... whatever. Overall we were the slightly (52/48) better team for 70mins and got a fair result away against by far the best team in the league. Oh and that was a blatant penalty.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
He’s an excellent defender. But because he doesn’t spit blood and thump his chest every week, he’s got a reputation amongst a few older school fans.

He has some faults, which are sometimes displayed, but who doesn’t!

Aden Flint at the other end of the pitch apparently earns £14k per week. I think we’ve got the better of the 2

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:26 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 pm
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:45 pm
Great point.
Indeed. I'm sure some of our members who couldn't stop posting when we were losing will be along shortly with praise.

I post win lose or draw.
Rarely. The other two you're in here quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.
Come on guys, this board is getting too quiet as it is, without hounding out regular posters.

We’re all entitled to our opinions and whilst not everyone agrees, I think we should respect the fact that people put their arguments forward in a usually respectful and articulate manner

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:31 pm

I also think it’s worth mentioning that whilst he’s still growing with us, Sheehan has turned a few competent performances and I’m beginning to come around to the fact that he may have something to offer us. Shows for the ball and tries putting himself around. Off the back of a ridiculous injury, it’s always going to take time.

I think we can expect things from him in the run-in

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:31 pm
I also think it’s worth mentioning that whilst he’s still growing with us, Sheehan has turned a few competent performances and I’m beginning to come around to the fact that he may have something to offer us. Shows for the ball and tries putting himself around. Off the back of a ridiculous injury, it’s always going to take time.

I thought he was awful for the first twenty minutes then surprisingly good after that. Which was a big bonus. Dempsey not at his best again. Interesting to see what midfield is picked for Wembley.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 pm

I still have Sheehan pegged for a summer upgrade, but he has two months – hopefully nearer three – to earn an extension. Same for a few others.

If I'm being picky about tonight, it's that again we didn't create much. Which is not to carp – I'm downright relieved we didn't get battered, very impressed that we came back from a bad first 20 and proud that we dominated possession and looked confident at the home of the champions elect, who haven't lost in half a season – but again, it only went so far and I never really felt we'd found their door, let alone were knocking on it.

But yeah. Unusually for me I'd have taken a point at kick-off; but that would have denied me the optimism engendered by a good performance. Let's hope now we can take that optimism into the Wembley build-up, give it a good go in the final, then see what the rest of the season brings.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 pm
boltonboris wrote:

I thought he was awful for the first twenty minutes then surprisingly good after that. Which was a big bonus. Dempsey not at his best again. Interesting to see what midfield is picked for Wembley.
I think we need to give Dempsey the benefit of the doubt. He’s earned some rope.

Injury issues, fitness issues and he’s been excellent and pretty much without a break. Could also be impacted from his twatabouncer episode.

Think a couple of weeks will do him the world of good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 pm
boltonboris wrote:

That's where I was too. Always feels like he's first from MF to get lost in our defensive shape...but grew into it as game went on. Still don't think he'll be here come Sept but I didn't think there was a cat in hells, John would still be here now...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:26 pm

Come on guys, this board is getting too quiet as it is, without hounding out regular posters.

We’re all entitled to our opinions and whilst not everyone agrees, I think we should respect the fact that people put their arguments forward in a usually respectful and articulate manner
Fair do's. Apologies from me. I just can't stand negativity, but fair comment.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:59 pm

Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 pm
I still have Sheehan pegged for a summer upgrade, but he has two months – hopefully nearer three – to earn an extension. Same for a few others.

If I'm being picky about tonight, it's that again we didn't create much. Which is not to carp – I'm downright relieved we didn't get battered, very impressed that we came back from a bad first 20 and proud that we dominated possession and looked confident at the home of the champions elect, who haven't lost in half a season – but again, it only went so far and I never really felt we'd found their door, let alone were knocking on it.

But yeah. Unusually for me I'd have taken a point at kick-off; but that would have denied me the optimism engendered by a good performance. Let's hope now we can take that optimism into the Wembley build-up, give it a good go in the final, then see what the rest of the season brings.
I get what you mean there were times I felt we could have pushed a bit more. Again when you look at the two teams the main difference is they had a spell on top and their delivery was really good. Ours just isn’t that good and it makes chance creation harder.

Having said that it’s a massive performance and result in context. Lose tonight and we’d be fearful, but a draw which exceeds most expectations and some fight after a very poor start offers hope and should build some confidence.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 pm

Both teams scored from a cross into the box…

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 pm

Only just walked in so apologies for missing this. Was it a good game and did we earn that result?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: