"Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:17 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 pm
Only just walked in so apologies for missing this. Was it a good game and did we earn that result?
It was decent, mate and yes we earned a point... :-)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:17 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 pm
Only just walked in so apologies for missing this. Was it a good game and did we earn that result?
It was decent, mate and yes we earned a point... :-)
Cheers Worthy. Was stuck in an AGM and couldn't even get my phone out to check.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:23 pm

We weren't expected to get anything at all here, so the result may have raised a few eyebrows. We could do with a couple of results being kind to us tomorrow. Somehow, the Wembley result seems more attainable already. Just hope we can score early and not have to play catch-up. We've come from behind and won before now, but let's do it from the front on a neutral ground. Kettles on parade... :kettle: :kettle: :kettle:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:03 am

Good performance overall and great point. Could be a massive result come the end of the season.

Vik scores another and shows how important it is for a striker to be willing to take it on first time.

Jones with yet another assist. He has defensive issues at centre back, but he is so good going forward in that role.

Great to see Sheehan put in a performance like that.

Plenty to improve on for Wembley, but not many though that was possible tonight. I've had a look on social and so many people at the start of the game were saying we'd lose by "a cricket score" or similar. A few specifically targeting Vik as being "useless" and a "waste of money." Always nice to see the doom-mongers shut up.

Rarely been this happy with a draw. We had to stop the rot before the final.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:43 am

Not long back. Great point and a very good performance. Traf and Santos were immense. Sheehan great too. Support was pretty special as well.

They're a direct side and were pinging the ball to the wings, playing the percentages and shooting whenever the opportunity presented itself. Looks great when it's working and for 20 minutes I feared we were in for a gubbing.

We're the opposite. Possession football and build towards the oppositions box. Looks great when it's working and frustrated the hell out of their fans.

Main criticism, again - you can't be having that much possession and not work their keeper.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 am

Evatt says Aden Flint told him it was a penalty.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:34 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 am
Not seen the replay yet. Pretty sure it would have been given at the other end though
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:09 am

This was surely crossing the Rubicon as concerns the teams self belief. Sheffield are undoubtedly a very good side and proof that we need fear no one. Okay, lets be sensible and know we'll have a few tough fixtures left, but some serious spade work was done last night. That penalty would have meant a win and two more precious points, but respect-wise we won anyway. . :pray:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:29 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:34 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 am
Not seen the replay yet. Pretty sure it would have been given at the other end though
Yup. I don't think there was much doubt he bundled in...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:35 am

I really love honesty. Some Owls fans are claiming that despite all those shots they didn't play well as the reason we got a draw. I might mention how well Traff did with those high balls and shots. Watch the highlights. lovely bit of football too that sent Charles through on goal before that penalty debacle. :oyea:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:38 am

An excellent point irrespective of whether it could've even been three.

Like others, I expected us to get nothing and after about fifteen minutes thought we were in for a long night but we pulled ourselves back into it and ended the match the stronger team. That's impressive when away from home against clearly the league's best team.

Another surprise, as has been noted by others, was Sheehan's performance. I also had him pegged down as one we'd look to move on from in the summer but there really isn't a tougher gig at this level than the circumstances we found ourselves in last night and he was very good indeed.

A mention also to Jerome, who played the exact role we brought him in to play. Hopefully he can prove himself to be a big asset for us down the stretch.

The biggest bonus from the whole thing though, in my opinion, is the psychological impact. After a couple of bad results against those in and around us I know I was feeling at something of a low ebb so no doubt the players must have been too, but last night was the final opportunity before the play-offs (should we get there) to test ourselves against the best the league has to offer and we at least proved to ourselves we were capable of matching them. Let's hope we take a lot from that.

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by McD » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:24 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:56 pm
Some on here may criticise Santos but again the Wed commentators were full of praise for him in Central defence. What's the opposite of rose tinted specs ?
Sceps Detnit Esor.

Latin for a look beyond what you can see.
"Sceps Detnit Esor" (Latin) = "I will stop eating" (English)
"look beyond what you can see" (English) = "Vide quam potes videre" (Latin)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:35 am

Not seen anything of last night - very happy with a point, even more so that we came from behind to earn it. As said above it was imperative we stopped the rot before wembley as there is no room for error there! Hope a few played themselves into contention to start at Wembley - the back five feels right and then it’s who joins Charles, plus the midfield if Sheehan gave a good account of himself.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:12 pm

McD wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:24 am
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:00 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:56 pm
Some on here may criticise Santos but again the Wed commentators were full of praise for him in Central defence. What's the opposite of rose tinted specs ?
Sceps Detnit Esor.

Latin for a look beyond what you can see.
"Sceps Detnit Esor" (Latin) = "I will stop eating" (English)
"look beyond what you can see" (English) = "Vide quam potes videre" (Latin)
I'd just go with shit goggles. simple and to the point :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:16 pm

Quite possibly Johnston back in the defence, so there's probably a pick to make there...Sheehan did OK, though he (amongst the rest of the MF) were inconspicuous by their absence first 20, last night...so probably a puck to make there as well...Vic is cup tied iirc, Jerome dud himself no harm last night...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Yeah Vic and Shoretire can’t play any part. I think Kacha and Charles will start with Jerome off the bench.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:04 pm

Its the expectation that kills. I expected to get nothing from this given how we have played in the games leading up to it, so I am very pleased with this point which has put our destiny of top 6 in our own hands given Wycombe loss today. We started off in a good tempo for a few minutes and then were run ragged by an impressive looking Sheffield team. Their dominance was really due to us, with our midfield in particular seeming completely devoid of confidence in keeping and passing the ball, something Sheffield did with aplomb, especially Bannan who oozed class throughout and was a joy to watch.. Trafford, my MoTM kept us in it looking very confident and motivated. We have a good one here. Our goal was a wonderful surprise and in the 2nd half, not sure what Evatt said, but all of a sudden we looked a different side with our players exuding a lot more confidence on the ball to a man, except for Dempsey who really struggled. Definitely a penalty re Charles as he was clipped but a point each was a fair reflection. I would love to see more of Cameron. He looks a quality above L1 and I hope he can get fit as I think he is a difference maker for us.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Fitness permitting, I’d like to see Jerome start at Wembley. Don’t think the occasion will phase him and he’s looked good in his cameos so far, holding the ball up effectively and bringing others into play. Could be a useful asset to ping balls up to and get Charles chasing knock downs if the game is nervy at the start and Plymouth press us high. He’s also a threat from set-pieces.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:52 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 pm
Fitness permitting, I’d like to see Jerome start at Wembley. Don’t think the occasion will phase him and he’s looked good in his cameos so far, holding the ball up effectively and bringing others into play. Could be a useful asset to ping balls up to and get Charles chasing knock downs if the game is nervy at the start and Plymouth press us high. He’s also a threat from set-pieces.
I think he’s looked great. It’s just a question of how long he can play for. He’s started one game this season and played an hour. It’s a big ask to start at Wembley potentially in a game going beyond the 90. I half wonder if it’s better to bring him on than start. The issue is that I feel Kachunga is not going to impact the game off the bench.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:15 am

That’s where I am at - if we are down a goal I just don’t think Kacha off the bench gets it or gives us the lift even. He starts and plays an hour for me.