Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:48 pm

Papa John Final at football's mecca English Venue, Wembley Stadium. Plenty time to get your views, team preferences and Super White support posts aired. We've got there and now it's time to drown out the distant drums of Plymouth with a mighty " COME ON YOU WHITES...roar. Come on then, let's be having you... :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Biggest game in a while. Argument point: bigger than Crawley? Feels like it in terms of occasion. Biggest since... Forest?

Anyways, as discussed elsewhere Wembley hasn't been the happiest hunting ground of late, and not just That Semi. Deano's miss v Villa; the Watford PO Final; heartwarming agony v Liverpool; Chris f**kin' Malkin. Thirty years of hurt, even if the Reading outlier might just be the happiest day I've ever had as a Wanderer.

We'll be missing a few faces through injury and ineligibility but we'll still have too many pros for the seven spaces on the bench. I make it 20 for the matchday 18:
Possible XI: Trafford; Jones, Santos, Toal; Bradley, Morley, Dempsey, John; Lee; Kachunga, Charles
Subs: Dixon, Mbete, Johnston, MJ, Thomason, Sheehan, Isgrove, R Williams, Jerome.

Of course it depends how recovered the returning trio (MJ, Johnston, Thomason) are. If George J is fit, Mbete could drop out - tough for the lad, but he's young enough to get over it. I doubt Evatt will want to lose a cup final through having no sub keeper, so with one more name to drop it may be Isgrove shaded out by Randy Williams - that would certainly be the choice dictated by logic rather than the heart.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:06 pm

I've often though a substitute goalie should be allowed separately from the pack. Maybe for finals etc? Wouldn't cost any more and I reckon most clubs would agree.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:17 pm

Part of me wonders if we might try something different and say give Lee and Sheehan completely free roles off of Charles. I’m not convinced Jerome can contribute for long enough for this occasion to start and Kachunga - as much as he did a job in the semi final….I’m far from convinced generally. He has played there before though so that experience helps.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:06 pm
I've often though a substitute goalie should be allowed separately from the pack. Maybe for finals etc? Wouldn't cost any more and I reckon most clubs would agree.
There are more substitutes on the bench than can be used in the match. So there's enough room. That IE chooses not to fill a place with a keeper is up to him...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:58 pm

Apparently we have been drawn as the home team therefore we will wear our white kit and Plymouth have to wear there 3rd kit.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:35 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:58 pm
Apparently we have been drawn as the home team therefore we will wear our white kit and Plymouth have to wear there 3rd kit.
Now that is a plus. Old-fashioned I may be, but white shirts and navy-blue shorts go together with Bolton Wanderers like salt and vinegar on your fish and chips. Shades of Wembley 58.. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:47 pm

Hopefully the occasion will lead to a whole new generation of supporters.

However, stuff the occasion. I've seen us lose enough times at Wembley, just feckin win boys.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Bit bizarre. Not like there's a clash?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Bit bizarre. Not like there's a clash?
Paying for those white sleeves, perhaps. Although I've seen much worse clashes go unchanged

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:54 am

A big hope that four of our players on international duty, Trafford, Bradley, Toal and Charles, stay injury free. Could have come at a better time. Good luck lads...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:17 pm
Part of me wonders if we might try something different and say give Lee and Sheehan completely free roles off of Charles. I’m not convinced Jerome can contribute for long enough for this occasion to start and Kachunga - as much as he did a job in the semi final….I’m far from convinced generally. He has played there before though so that experience helps.
I think this kind of occasion is exactly the reason we signed Cameron Jerome to be honest. Experienced, strong, leader who'll be invaluable - Run-in and playoffs was probably his remit and I think this final will suit him.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:17 pm
I think this kind of occasion is exactly the reason we signed Cameron Jerome to be honest. Experienced, strong, leader who'll be invaluable - Run-in and playoffs was probably his remit and I think this final will suit him.
I'm with you there. Kachunga for the fresh legs if desperate. He has an underwhelming record against decent sides.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 pm
Kachunga for the fresh legs if desperate. He has an underwhelming record against decent sides.
Not exactly overwhelming against anyone :D

But I’d love him to score at Wembers…

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:35 pm

If I was convinced we could get more than 30 minutes out of Jerome I would be near agreeing, but can’t see him starting.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 am

For the benefit of any fans who can't access The Bolton News, when the squad is finally assembled they'll be training at Brentford courtesy of the owners and manager there..

“We’ll go down on the Friday and train at Brentford, which Thomas (Frank) has allowed us to do, which was wonderful of him. We’ll visit Wembley on Saturday and let the players get used to the surroundings." (Bolton News)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:40 pm

Very classy from all involved at Brentford.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:55 pm

Bradley and Charles both start for Norn Ireland tonight. Toal on the bench (wearing bizarrely, #7).

Just don't get injured, lads...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 pm

Dion banged two in for Northern Ireland tonight.. :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 am

Nine days and counting...(including today)

and so much can be unveiled by those days. Our league rivals will have played two games by then and we can only hope that our lads minds will be in Neutral regardless of all else and concentrating on the main event...WEMBLEY...!

Great work by Dion and co on the international scene, but they have still to play another game before "walking on England's pastures green" and it's a fingers crossed re them coming through unscathed. Meanwhile, personally, I'm seeing sixth place and the play-offs at best, because no favours will be given and even super optimism has to be matched with reality. That said, the tomorrow's will take care of themselves, so a wing and a prayer it is. Hope, as ever, springs eternal even though a copper on a white horse will probably be replaced by a few hundred in Transit vans and riot gear. As ever..COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: