Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Abide with us...v Plymouth Argyle Sunday 2nd April 3-O'clock WEMBLEY

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:14 pm
Evatt got all the calls right.

Dec John - tick.
Unchanged back three - tick.
Controversial midfield three - tick.
Kachunga - tick.
Tick, tick tick tick...boom
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:43 pm

Very proud of my team. Followed Illes on Bolton News live while in Church this morning in Jamaica having fruitlessly searched ifollow to watch it during service. Thanks for that! Congratulations to the team, owners, coaching staff and fans. Evatt has certainly launched a seemingly brilliant Management Career over the few years he has been in management. Looking forward to seeing the replay later.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:04 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:43 pm
Very proud of my team. Followed Illes on Bolton News live while in Church this morning in Jamaica having fruitlessly searched ifollow to watch it during service. Thanks for that! Congratulations to the team, owners, coaching staff and fans. Evatt has certainly launched a seemingly brilliant Management Career over the few years he has been in management. Looking forward to seeing the replay later.
Evatt is the Messiah! 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:27 pm

One of the best days I’ve ever had at the football. I’ll let the wordsmiths on here give more eloquent summaries, but everything went right today and I’m going to bed in south east London tremendously proud to be a Boltonian.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:33 pm

Dec John - tick.
Kachunga - tick.
He picked the same team as me. So definitely knows what he’s doing!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:27 pm
One of the best days I’ve ever had at the football. I’ll let the wordsmiths on here give more eloquent summaries, but everything went right today and I’m going to bed in south east London tremendously proud to be a Boltonian.

Whereas I'm in south east London and not going to bed quite yet. Buzzin'!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:33 pm

Dec John - tick.
Kachunga - tick.
He picked the same team as me. So definitely knows what he’s doing!
:D :pissed:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 pm

Dec John - tick.
Kachunga - tick.
Absofuckinglutely - Sheehan was superb and he wasn’t in my starting XI. They were not expecting Dempsey to have license to roam. It got us the start and we never looked back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:08 pm

Where I was sat I had a magnificent view of all of our end and I remember looking over in the last 5 minutes when everyone was waving the flags singing in the sun…a little bit emotional!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 pm

Might seem an odd question, but was Jon Bodvarson at Wembley (as a spectator of course as he's injured)? Not heard him mentioned for a while.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 pm
Might seem an odd question, but was Jon Bodvarson at Wembley (as a spectator of course as he's injured)? Not heard him mentioned for a while.
He was, Tango. Unlike most of the other non-playing players he didn’t change out of his suit into trackies for the presentation. But he was out there, leading the Thunderclap.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:27 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:08 pm
Where I was sat I had a magnificent view of all of our end and I remember looking over in the last 5 minutes when everyone was waving the flags singing in the sun…a little bit emotional!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Tell you what, like. Imagine if Plymouth are caught by Ipswich/Barnsley, drop into the playoffs and have to face us. They ain’t gonna fancy that one bit.

Mind, we’ve also plated up Barnsley’s glutes this season. And bossed Sheff Wed at their gaff.

Owt could happen. And today it did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:25 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 pm
He was, Tango. Unlike most of the other non-playing players he didn’t change out of his suit into trackies for the presentation. But he was out there, leading the Thunderclap.
Thanks D.S.B, just wondered...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 pm

Those thinking Plymouth didn't turn up. We played them off the park at home and but for the finishing would have battered them then too. This had been coming. Give us a big carpet to play on and we'll demolish teams.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:34 pm

I’d back us at Wembley again, pitch suited us and Ian got it spot on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 pm
Those thinking Plymouth didn't turn up. We played them off the park at home and but for the finishing would have battered them then too. This had been coming. Give us a big carpet to play on and we'll demolish teams.
There’s two teams in every game and we did our jobs brilliantly. But they did theirs terribly. Slow reactions, poor passing, tactical indifference, lack of cohesion. They certainly didn’t play like title contenders.

First goal makes a huuuuuge difference. And I note it came from a set piece. In fact i said to Flanners before the corner, “I’ll laugh if we score off a set piece.” And we did, and I did.

By the time we scored the fourth off another, and Geth was blowing kisses to his mum in heaven, I was close to tears. Last time I watched us at Wembley was with my Dad, who’d taken me to my first Wembley game in 1989, 31 years after he’d been there to watch us win the FA Cup. He died last year but I felt him with me today. He’d have been proud. We all should be. This club nearly went. Now it’s going places.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:16 am

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 pm
There’s two teams in every game and we did our jobs brilliantly. But they did theirs terribly. Slow reactions, poor passing, tactical indifference, lack of cohesion. They certainly didn’t play like title contenders.

First goal makes a huuuuuge difference. And I note it came from a set piece. In fact i said to Flanners before the corner, “I’ll laugh if we score off a set piece.” And we did, and I did.

By the time we scored the fourth off another, and Geth was blowing kisses to his mum in heaven, I was close to tears. Last time I watched us at Wembley was with my Dad, who’d taken me to my first Wembley game in 1989, 31 years after he’d been there to watch us win the FA Cup. He died last year but I felt him with me today. He’d have been proud. We all should be. This club nearly went. Now it’s going places.
Glad I wasn't the only one sniffing onions. There should have been an uncle there in person with me today. I made do with his scarf.

On Plymouth, it was almost as if they were consistently surprised by the spaces between their own players and behind them. "Isn't the pitch usually smaller than this, folks??"

Telling, perhaps, that Evatt brought our boys into the stadium yesterday to get over the awe that you can feel stepping into the place, and then banned phones today. Plymouth, meanwhile, were out on the pitch pre-game snapping selfies and filming the stadium. Just seems like we were all-round better prepared, and that's down to Evatt.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:02 am

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 pm
Last time I watched us at Wembley was with my Dad, who’d taken me to my first Wembley game in 1989, 31 years after he’d been there to watch us win the FA Cup. He died last year but I felt him with me today. He’d have been proud. We all should be. This club nearly went. Now it’s going places.
My little boy described it as the best day of his life. Football is about memories - with your family, friends and community.

It was a special experience. As happy as I was personally, watching my kid's reaction to us winning cup final 4-0 was one of my top life experiences.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:29 am

Yeah the cup itself doesn’t really matter but the day as a staging post and the kids and new fans who witnessed something incredibly special is worth more than any promotion.

Worth more than many things.

I don’t know if I really agree that Plymouth were ‘bad’ I think we started with such intensity and played them off the park. That’s us. Not them. I do agree though that obviously scoring in 4 minutes on a big occasion changes things considerably and of course had we created some chances and missed them in that opening salvo it’s hard to know what would have happened. But that is football. You can’t know. It’s a bit like Stoke battering us at Wembley they did but it relied on a those first two shots flying in.

Doesn’t really matter though. Our name is forever etched in history in 2023. Just like 1923. That’s something.

Now like Evatt says let’s focus on making it a double Wembley success this year. Wouldn’t that be a thing?