Will it be Heaven in Devon for the Magnificent eleven? Away to Exeter, 3-0'clock Good Friday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will it be Heaven in Devon for the Magnificent eleven? Away to Exeter, 3-0'clock Good Friday.

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:51 pm

A big loss. Toal is probably the player in the permanent squad with the highest ceiling - Our 'best' player if you like.

We obviously have fantastic cover in Johnston, but he's on the road back after a lengthy injury - I think we can cope
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will it be Heaven in Devon for the Magnificent eleven? Away to Exeter, 3-0'clock Good Friday.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:12 pm

Yeah, I love Geth but there is now the possibility of teams getting their Big Bastard Up Front to peel off and pick on him.

Last season we might have had the same problem on the other side but Johnston has beefed himself up a bit. Speaking of which, I see a relative (dad?) of the other newly-buff George - Thomason - has divulged a little of the lad's dietary regimen...
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 17.11.02.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 17.11.02.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 629 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 pm

fecking annoyed about Toal - just shows you will always get away with one in a cup final - ref and Lino should be punished for bottling that one.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:35 pm

Yeah, fairly sure we started with two outfield players over 6' on Sunday, and one's now out for the season. Good that GJ is back, but we're still thin. Would be a big ask for him to do 180 mins Fri-Mon for example, so suspect we'll see Mbete on Monday.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 pm

Johnston being back probably mitigates the problem to an extent. It’s a loss though.

You could argue that Evatt might still have picked Gethin anyway and Johnston on the left is an ‘upgrade’ on Toal there.

Who knows.

Obviously bad news. Can’t let it derail us though. Full focus on getting on top 6.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 pm
fecking annoyed about Toal - just shows you will always get away with one in a cup final - ref and Lino should be punished for bottling that one.
Aye, rotten luck for the lad and kicks his international chances into touch for a while too. Bit of a difference between physical football and blatant thuggery. V.A.R. should be mandatory at any level of professional football.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:12 pm
Yeah, I love Geth but there is now the possibility of teams getting their Big Bastard Up Front to peel off and pick on him.

Last season we might have had the same problem on the other side but Johnston has beefed himself up a bit. Speaking of which, I see a relative (dad?) of the other newly-buff George - Thomason - has divulged a little of the lad's dietary regimen...
I did appreciate that nugget of information from George's Dad. Massive kudos to GT, I remember thinking when he signed 'cool...we'll never see him in the first team though", but he's surpassed all expectation. He's clearly 100% dedicated to being a pro footballer and seems like a top lad.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:02 pm
It does leave the question as to what we do should we get another injury or two back there - MJ emergency centre half? Any of the youngsters up to playing in the biggest of games in the run in? Could Cameron Jerome even do a job back there?
Out of the youngsters Adam Senior would the closest to the first team but he's currently on loan at Halifax and I'm assuming we can't recall him as I'd guess we would've already done it if we could. 19 year old Lamine Toure would probably be the next man up based on him getting two minutes off the bench against Salford in the first round of the Carabao Cup and being on the bench against Tranmere in the group stage of the PJT.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:47 pm
You could argue that Evatt might still have picked Gethin anyway and Johnston on the left is an ‘upgrade’ on Toal there.
Agree with this in most instances. Johnston probably would have been back in but I think Toal has now progressed to the point where he's a genuine challenge to Geth at RCB - perhaps dependent on opponent (do we need height at the back or better overloads going forward?)

But it's a blow to lose the lad. I genuinely don't think any kid is capable of stepping up, so the backup is now Mbete, possibly MJ.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:12 pm

Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 pm
)

But it's a blow to lose the lad. I genuinely don't think any kid is capable of stepping up, so the backup is now Mbete, possibly MJ.
M.J. always reminds me of Jordan Henderson; good, sometimes very good, but just that few degrees short of automatic selection. He certainly has the necessary experience, but I suppose the rest is up to him?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:12 pm
)

M.J. always reminds me of Jordan Henderson; good, sometimes very good, but just that few degrees short of automatic selection. He certainly has the necessary experience, but I suppose the rest is up to him?
Henderson does plenty of important work. Liverpool don't win much without him....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:17 am

Evatt:
“It is about choosing the right players for the right game, that is what’s important. Every game will offer something different.

“The away game at Exeter will look completely different to the home game against Cambridge, so we have to pick a team accordingly really.”

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Agree with this in most instances. Johnston probably would have been back in but I think Toal has now progressed to the point where he's a genuine challenge to Geth at RCB - perhaps dependent on opponent (do we need height at the back or better overloads going forward?)

Toal is the clear first choice at RCB, for me. Jones would be back-up for that position and RWB.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:12 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Toal is the clear first choice at RCB, for me. Jones would be back-up for that position and RWB.
Yeah wouldn’t disagree but Evatt rightly puts a lot of stock in Jones who is one of those players who rarely if ever really lets you down. We also (at least my perception is this) tend to miss him when he’s out.

I fully agree Toal is a big blow. I think it’s a lot less significant now Johnston is back. The main issue as has been pointed out is the height we lose. Could be mitigated somewhat by playing one of the bigger lads up top at least to help out with set pieces and even MJ in midfield at times.

I’d like to think we are working on MJ in the back three in training in case he needs to play there. I think he might be ok on the right.

Mbete will get some games too. Less convinced by him. Shame Iredale is out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:14 am

I’d like to start Jerome here. Again at Wembley when he came on I thought he was superb. Harsh on Victor maybe but he can come on against tired legs.

Harsh on Kacha too to be fair. In fact I might even be tempted to pick the ‘final team’ with GJ in for Toal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:59 am

Yeah me too. Make changes for Monday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Happy to have some "who should we play" rather than "who can we play." COYWM.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:06 pm
Happy to have some "who should we play" rather than "who can we play." COYWM.
Indeed - we ‘only’ had mbete fit and eligible who didn’t make the squad Sunday. There are goi Ng to be some disappointed players after the next couple - can’t see nlundulu getting a look in for example.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:12 am

Aye it suddenly feels like luxury - and as I say I’d like us to take full advantage.

We could start with the Wembley XI (except Johnston for Toal) and bring in five subs in midfield/forward positions - say Adeboyejo, Jerome, Shoretire, Lee and Thomason. Maybe Randell could start Monday to rest John. Still leaves Nlundulu, MJ & Mbete. Good to see.

Indeed you could create a very fresh XI on Monday - same back three and Bradley but add in the above. So Jones-Santos-Johnston; Bradley-Lee-Tomo-Randell; Shoretire; Jerome-Adeboyejo. However I would expect a slightly more even balance between “Wembley XI” and others over the two games, perhaps with a slightly “stronger” lineup at Exeter. I’d also not be surprised to see Dion do the first hour in each game - he sets the tone and scores the goals…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:05 pm

Big Ric injured too...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:05 pm

feck* sake !