Pints, Punts and Points. Home v Cambridge United, Easter Monday 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Pints, Punts and Points. Home v Cambridge United, Easter Monday 3-0'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:41 pm

Moving on from a victorious double whammy and a trophy, time to become all studious as Oxford follow Cambridge as our next university encounter. Just how serious our injury situation is can't be ignored with big lads Santos and Toal both out of action and joining Jon Bodvarson and who knows who else in the Quinton Fortune rest room. Cambridge scored a plus today beating Fleetwood and their men and women both won the punting cup race up the Thames, so they might be a bit cock-a-hoop. Either way, we won't be treating them lightly, so onwards and upwards. At em lads...:Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Pints, Punts and Points. Home v Cambridge United, Easter Monday 3-0'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:40 am

Not much news coming forth re how injuries to Toal and Santos are going to affect the next couple of games. Only good thing (if there is any on that score) is that both Cambridge and Oxford are currently in the bottom five of the league with less than dazzling current form. We have to be total "Ming the Merciless" and approach both with the Wembley spirit because things around us are tighter than ..to quote a favourite comparison.."a camel's arxe in a sandstorm". Life's tough when you're struggling, but we know about that don't we?

So who's going to be the defender of the faithful for us. Personally, I'd see M.J.Williams in the Ric Role as our best option ( poor as that sounds) but needs must. Who's your Hercules...? :Jedi:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:59 am

Not trying to disappoint TD. Toal's season is over. Currently suggesting Santos is ~4 weeks..The effect is we're down to the back 3 we saw yesterday, with probably MJ as the only "fallback" or a possible move to a 4...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:15 am

I think I'd be more terrified of a back 4 than a back 3 considering the current options. Johnston-Mbete-Jones has its obvious pitfalls, but the alternative is having either Mbete or Jones on the right side of a central two. Plus the thrill of utterly nullifying the attacking threat of Bradley, unless you're playing him as a winger with Jones in behind. Either way, it's pretty poor.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:20 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:15 am
I think I'd be more terrified of a back 4 than a back 3 considering the current options. Johnston-Mbete-Jones has its obvious pitfalls, but the alternative is having either Mbete or Jones on the right side of a central two. Plus the thrill of utterly nullifying the attacking threat of Bradley, unless you're playing him as a winger with Jones in behind. Either way, it's pretty poor.
Agree mate. Not an attractive option..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:31 am

truewhite15 wrote:
It’s not a good option but we are an injury or suspension away from possibly having no choice but looking at a back four.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:31 am
truewhite15 wrote:
It’s not a good option but we are an injury or suspension away from possibly having no choice but looking at a back four.
I think he'd risk putting MJ Williams in as a CB rather than change formation at this stage. Especially with Santos expected back for the last 2 games.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:31 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Yeah, that's the point I was trying, poorly, to make...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:59 am
Not trying to disappoint TD. Toal's season is over. Currently suggesting Santos is ~4 weeks..The effect is we're down to the back 3 we saw yesterday, with probably MJ as the only "fallback" or a possible move to a 4...
Yeah, accept that. My point was how their absence is going to affect the next couple of games (which effectively should be winnable).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:59 am
Yeah, accept that. My point was how their absence is going to affect the next couple of games (which effectively should be winnable).
TBF, they managed a clean sheet, away, against a side who won their last 4 at home and have a few goals in them. Just need to hope they don't get anymore injuries... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:52 pm

Cambridge won the last two and are fighting for their lives. Don’t underestimate the difficulty of this. Every game is a challenge. We should win on paper but no doubt it will be a slog and we need everyone on it. I’d not like to see too many changes as I fear if we lose our attacking fluency we are struggling potentially.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:52 pm
Cambridge won the last two and are fighting for their lives. Don’t underestimate the difficulty of this. Every game is a challenge. We should win on paper but no doubt it will be a slog and we need everyone on it. I’d not like to see too many changes as I fear if we lose our attacking fluency we are struggling potentially.
I doubt most folks are underestimating anything. They all need "performances" for us to win.

A little bit like the Santos not good enough argument, some wouldn't have had Kacha driving the team bus a few games back and we needed a 20 goal a season striker to replace the one we now have on 19. Morley and Dempsey were in the never going to make it bucket along with Sheehan, Bradley etc. etc... :-)

I mean, unless someone is injured or a million miles off because they're nacked, I doubt we're suddenly going to get a MF of Lee, Shortire and MJ. There aren't really options at the back, we probably have a few options up top.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 pm

Looks like a massive crowd. Single seats only left. Unless they open second half of south lower….

Must be 25,000 on or thereabouts.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:30 pm

We're going to vulnerable to the high ball for the next few weeks. Our forward press will have to really be on it.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 pm
Looks like a massive crowd. Single seats only left. Unless the open second half of south lower….

Fantastic.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 pm
Looks like a massive crowd. Single seats only left. Unless the open second half of south lower….

Fantastic.
Yep. And already sold more early bird STs than we did last season.

The support is seriously large. And growing.

I’d say we are better supported now than any season since the premiership. Arguably better than some of those premiership seasons. First game back in under Sam against boro wasn’t there about 20K on? We are going to massively smash that many times in league one…

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:30 pm
We're going to vulnerable to the high ball for the next few weeks. Our forward press will have to really be on it.
I think this will lead us to attack more. Sure, we might concede a few more than usual, but I think we'll score more too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:02 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:30 pm
I think this will lead us to attack more. Sure, we might concede a few more than usual, but I think we'll score more too.
Yeah I think that’s how it’s gonna be. Can’t be sitting back trying to soak up pressure as letting teams load it into the box or win set pieces round it will be bad news.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 pm

I don't think a single soul from Sharon and Evatt through every squad player to the car-park attendants doesn't realize the importance of every game here on in. We've done decent spade work league-wise and excelled in the P.J.Cup, and the players despite injury luck, must surely be like greyhounds after a meat pie in their desire to get into the Mighty White first team shirts..

It all bodes for a cracking Easter Monday fixture, so let's educate the "City of perspiring dreams" (that's the Student's Union name for them) and give them a real Unibol roasting.
Come on you Whites, keep off the Easter eggs till Tuesday, gird your loins with Fiery Jack and sing "Sonic get the kettle on" .... :lol: Happy and peaceful Easter Sunday to you all..

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Evatt: “We are going to have to utilise the squad, but we have got a good squad of players that hopefully can turn around quickly and get going again.”

Back three and presumably Bradley won’t change, so question is how many others do. We have the most options up front (Dion, Kacha, Ade, Nlundulu, Jerome if fit, Shoretire) but personally I would still hope Dion is fit enough to start.

Shoretire also an option at 10 but in the last three games it’s been more of a Liverpool- style midfield with two free runners in front of one sitter; sitter has been Sheehan but if the Welshman’s tired, Morley might do that role, for which need a passer more than an MJ type. The runners could be any two from Thomo, Lee, Morley and Dempsey. And I think we can expect Randell to start at LWB.

Key again could be subs. We are allowed five and we have at least that many strong candidates. Whatever the scoreline, we can refresh legs and ask new questions. Then we go again on Saturday. And Tuesday. And Saturday. And Tuesday. And Saturday…