Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Once were Wanderers...V Burton away Tues 18th Apr. 7-45

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:40 pm
If I was Trafford I'd be going mental at them for that goal. It was disgraceful defending. Jones then has the audacity to complain to Johnston, Williams and MJ.

Sorry captain but you're the difference.
Sorry but what are you wanting him to do? It’s one of those where the keeper saves it and it just bounces out. Jones has gone to block any shot.

You can’t do much about it.

If we are criticising let’s start with the striker who can’t shoot first time or the two open goals we’ve missed, one from about a yard,

Defence have been brilliant tonight in defensive terms and in two away games have conceded once. You cannot blame a makeshift defence who I think have performed heroics.

We had a plethora of chances and like most of the season our Achilles heel is not scoring enough goals.
Have a watch of it again. He can get in there with his feet before the shot, he doesn't and leaves it to Trafford, then dives and turns to try and block the shot.

Jones and Johnston are starters in the back three, it's MJ who's working hard to fit in.

I don't disagree the chances should be put away however you're an advocate of getting a clean sheet to ensure you rarely lose games.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:55 pm

Once again our inability to finish the chances we're creating is our biggest problem.

N'lundulu doesnt look like he's able to find a pass let alone get a shot off. He's good at progressing the ball forward, so there's that at least.

Jerome looks like his legs have gone or theres muscle issues. Seems to move awkwardly. Clever player and decent enough link up play but clearly something thats not quite clicking.

It's like we've got an abundance of forwards that we're carrying at the moment, perhaps its a nervous tension that needs releasing or something. Compare this to end of last seasons free scoring from all forwards and it's a notable issue.

Bakayoko, Bodvarsson, Charles, Afolayan, Kacha

seems a better set of options than

Jerome, N'lundulu, Charles, Shoretire, Kacha.

Not wanting to be too critical as I suspect its a case of one going in then pressure off and they all go in. Guess i'm just missing the late goal expectation that we made last season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:56 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
If I was Trafford I'd be going mental at them for that goal. It was disgraceful defending. Jones then has the audacity to complain to Johnston, Williams and MJ.

Sorry but what are you wanting him to do? It’s one of those where the keeper saves it and it just bounces out. Jones has gone to block any shot.

If we are criticising let’s start with the striker who can’t shoot first time or the two open goals we’ve missed, one from about a yard,

Defence have been brilliant tonight in defensive terms and in two away games have conceded once. You cannot blame a makeshift defence who I think have performed heroics.

We had a plethora of chances and like most of the season our Achilles heel is not scoring enough goals.
Have a watch of it again. He can get in there with his feet before the shot, he doesn't and leaves it to Trafford, then dives and turns to try and block the shot.

Jones and Johnston are starters in the back three, it's MJ who's working hard to fit in.

I don't disagree the chances should be put away however you're an advocate of getting a clean sheet to ensure you rarely lose games.
We have a record number of clean sheets. We’ve conceded one goal in two away games. Defensively that’s great. If there is any problem it’s the other end.

I think Jones and MJ were superb tonight and Johnston a little shaky but still defensively battled well.

I’ve watched it again, I’m still not sure what you want him to do…he’s not going to kick it out of Traffords hands and has instinctively covered behind. It’s a bit of poor luck but in fairness they were on top for the first fifteen minutes of that half.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

It all happens really quickly. He like the rest of us probably felt it was in after the first shot. The fact Trafford kept going speaks volumes about his quality.

We've got the best defence in the league, the problem we have is being clinical up top.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:58 pm

Anyway…we’d all have taken this position with open arms at 3pm Saturday wouldn’t we?

4 points from two tricky aways, still in the play offs…3 home games to come with a game in hand.

I mean that’s as good as it was ever likely to get.

COYW.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:59 pm

I’m definitely not happy with a point. We wasted far too many chances to be happy with a point.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 pm

Aye it’s decent - performances good as well for different ways. Imagine if we can get JDB fit and firing - another goal or two is the missing ingredient!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:58 pm
Anyway…we’d all have taken this position with open arms at 3pm Saturday wouldn’t we?

4 points from two tricky aways, still in the play offs…3 home games to come with a game in hand.

COYW.
Doomed.

Old Insano back for the weekend please!

:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:58 pm

COYW.
Doomed.

Old Insano back for the weekend please!

:lol:
Oh we will no doubt bottle it at home as I have a sneaky feeling we will struggle Saturday and then Accrington will frustrate us.

But we’d still have taken this position. Even though we are bound to throw it away.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:08 pm

That's the spirit 😁

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:10 pm

Peterborough are still to play Barnsley and Ipswich.

I'm sure there will be twists and turns until the end of the season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:15 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:10 pm
Peterborough are still to play Barnsley and Ipswich.

I'm sure there will be twists and turns until the end of the season.
Derby have to go to Sheffield Wednesday on the last day too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:17 pm

If I'd have been offered our current position in August, I'd've probably taken it....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:17 pm
If I'd have been offered our current position in August, I'd've probably taken it....
Yeah. Was just reading Twitter. People laying into them. I thought overall we played well. Some frustrating performances and missed chances but I mean overall I’m not sure we could have played better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:35 pm

If we want an illustration of our weakness.

We had 22 shots tonight. 7 on target.

They had 14 shots. 8 on target.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Yeah. Was just reading Twitter. People laying into them. I thought overall we played well. Some frustrating performances and missed chances but I mean overall I’m not sure we could have played better.
Seen that. feck* weirdos. Everyone went out there and gave it their best. On another day we win about 4-1! Team selection was right and tactics were spot on. Literally nothing to moan about save the final pass/shot. Some muppets follow us, for sure.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Nice seeing positivity coming from you.

We had the ball in the area we wanted it plenty of times. Enough chances for us to win it and we probably should have. Burton are a bogey team so result probably typical.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 pm

T’was a good performance, we just lacked quality in the final third. Not sure how we didn’t score in the second half.

I’d have taken a point before kick off so I’m not too disheartened right now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 pm

I'm betting their manager might be a bit more relieved at a point than ours. Shooting practise seems to be the order of the day before Saturday.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:38 pm

Well that was shite.

Not really, but it's weird everyone agreeing.

Thought we'd get humped after last year and a makeshift back four (and one (?) outfielder 6'+). And then they wang two long throws in inside 4 minutes. I don't think we defended their goal v well but you give a makeshift back four credit for only conceding one in two tricky away games.

Played well, dominated, should've won. I'd have taken a point before so take the confidence and attack these three home games. As others have said, you'd take our position over the other two.

And as for Burton, Burton can feck off. Playing for set pieces is fine, no issue with that, but that pitch is deliberately shit, and going into the corner at 1-1 at home is embarrassing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.