No Pancakes please on Tuesday. Home v Accrington Tues, 25th Apr. 7.45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

No Pancakes please on Tuesday. Home v Accrington Tues, 25th Apr. 7.45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 am

Accrington is world famous for hard bricks and they may think building walls can stop the mighty Whites from cementing their position in the league. At 23rd of 24 teams in League One and having lost four of the last five games, Accy don't seem to pose a threat. but hark to the old adage of "many a slip twixt cup and lip" and take nothing for granted. The Stanleys are in a bit of a fine mess, but they'll be fighting the serious relegation threat their position has them in..

So, no charitable thoughts gentlemen, even though they are Lancs neighbours, because Mr Coleman will seriously want to beat us. Get in there and kill it off early. Ready, aim....fire.. :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No Pancakes please on Tuesday. Home v Accrington Tues, 25th Apr. 7.45.

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:18 am

Be some needle in this one after the semi. I would expect the full repertoire of dirty tricks.

Would start Kachunga up top with Dion. Rest unchanged although maybe Dec John will be back in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:29 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:18 am
Be some needle in this one after the semi. I would expect the full repertoire of dirty tricks.

Would start Kachunga up top with Dion. Rest unchanged although maybe Dec John will be back in.
Yes, to both those changes for me. Randy on the "not convinced my yet" list. That said, there's also two Dec John's and we need to one that bombs on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:29 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Yes, to both those changes for me. Randy on the "not convinced my yet" list. That said, there's also two Dec John's and we need to one that bombs on.
I thought Randell had a reasonable game and is definitely improving. But still would be John for me in a direct choice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I thought Randell had a reasonable game and is definitely improving. But still would be John for me in a direct choice.
Certainly improved second half. But a long way from convinced. His natural reaction to getting the ball is often back to Johnston, Morley and stop. Not currently impressed, but not in hyperbole land either...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Randall seems to be another one, like Vic, that is going to benefit immensely from a full pre-season with his team mates.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Certainly improved second half. But a long way from convinced. His natural reaction to getting the ball is often back to Johnston, Morley and stop. Not currently impressed, but not in hyperbole land either...
Don’t entirely disagree but John can be like that too. He did drive forward a couple of times second half and looked much the better player for it. His end product worries me thus far. As does his passing at times. But looked a little more what I expected yesterday and hopefully will continue to improve.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:06 pm

Yeah, as Sonic says, I think a few are in the "let's see after a pre-season" bucket.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:06 pm
Yeah, as Sonic says, I think a few are in the "let's see after a pre-season" bucket.
Worth noting how much Dempsey and Morley, signed last January, have kicked on this term. Dion too, to an extent.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:43 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:06 pm
Worth noting how much Dempsey and Morley, signed last January, have kicked on this term. Dion too, to an extent.
And, for me, George Johnston...which is why I'll reserve judgement on Vic and the likes

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Not to be a party pooper, but high hopes for me are based on as we are, and that's a team doing their best and not getting ahead of ourselves.We're not Barcelona or Paris St Germain and Accrington and co are the reality of it all. I'm proud of where we are and should we lose a game or two, it's disappointing, but that's the norm, and I don't think we're rubbish if that happens.

Amen.. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:11 pm

I think losing 2 might not be well received, TD, if we didn't make the play-offs from here...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:11 pm
I think losing 2 might not be well received, TD, if we didn't make the play-offs from here...
Of course, and Lord forbid it happening, but if we lose Tuesday we're back with Derby and Posh in would-have, should-have land scrapping for that play-off place. That's still the reality. Lord knows I'm a rose tinter, just a bit worried is all.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Iles notes we need five points from three games. Given we are also five goals clear of Posh you would expect four points should be enough, unless they win both their games handsomely and our loss is also heavy.

Either way, winning Tuesday would take us a long way closer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:54 pm

Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:48 pm
Iles notes we need five points from three games. Given we are also five goals clear of Posh you would expect four points should be enough, unless they win both their games handsomely and our loss is also heavy.

Yep. Accrington will no doubt feel up for it given their position and the fact we have a bit of recent history with them. They won’t come and roll over. They won’t make it easy.

On the other hand they are in the bottom four for a reason.

We need to play this game with intensity and tempo. Put balls into the box like we did second half but right from the start. Make them defend their box repeatedly. Do that for 90 minutes and it will be hard for them.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:24 pm

I suspect 3 points is going to be enough. Although that's on the basis that Sheffield Wednesday still have a chance to getting automatic promotion going into the final game of the season.

Barnsley, I suspect may take it easy against Peterborough, given they're playoff bound, but given its the last game of the season at home for Barnsley they may just take it as a statement of intent.

Either way, the last fixture date of the season is favourable for us:

Barnsley - Peterborough
Bristol Rovers - Bolton
Sheffield Wednesday - Derby

A win on Tuesday should see us over the line. Don't forget if that is the case, Derby would need 4 points to overtake us (or better GD) and Peterborough would need 6.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:24 pm

I suspect 3 points is going to be enough. Although that's on the basis that Sheffield Wednesday still have a chance to getting automatic promotion going into the final game of the season.

Barnsley, I suspect may take it easy against Peterborough, given they're playoff bound, but given its the last game of the season at home for Barnsley they may just take it as a statement of intent.

Barnsley - Peterborough
Bristol Rovers - Bolton

A win on Tuesday should see us over the line. Don't forget if that is the case, Derby would need 4 points to overtake us (or better GD) and Peterborough would need 6.
The team that matters is really Peterborough as it’s too tight with Derby to rely on goal difference.

One more win and Peterborough would have to win both their games. Barnsley away is a tough ask.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:26 pm
Mar wrote:

Barnsley - Peterborough
Bristol Rovers - Bolton

The team that matters is really Peterborough as it’s too tight with Derby to rely on goal difference.

One more win and Peterborough would have to win both their games. Barnsley away is a tough ask.
Unless it's us. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:42 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:26 pm
Mar wrote:

Barnsley - Peterborough
Bristol Rovers - Bolton

Unless it's us. :lol:
Down to ten though. And we got them the right time.

I’d not be overly keen on a 2nd play off leg away there but then I’d say if we can win the home leg we’d have a real chance. Our biggest weakness is probably scoring the goals needed in leg 1.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:50 pm

Yeah I want Barnsley to have something to play for - possibly auto but more likely third - in that last game against Posh. Which means I think I want them to win on Tuesday against Ipswich…