No Pancakes please on Tuesday. Home v Accrington Tues, 25th Apr. 7.45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No Pancakes please on Tuesday. Home v Accrington Tues, 25th Apr. 7.45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:41 pm
For all the hype and talk Evatt builds low scoring sides that rely on defence and general negative tactics of keeping it and slowing the game down and hoping we hang on.

Our league two promotion was built on that.

We had a brief period last season with Dapo and Bod and Baka and Charles when we found a few goals.

But other than that it’s pretty consistent aside from the odd moment here or there we are low scoring turgid dullards. He can build a defensive structure but we are overly reliant on it.

It’s not very entertaining watching us Wembley aside. Haven’t scored more than 1 goal in a game (Wembley aside) since February.
That said, we're 5th. We might end up 5th and my pre-season guess was 7th. So irrespective of what might happen, should we make the play-offs, it's going to be roughly what I expected...
Be a massive massive failure not to make the play offs. Both from start of the season and the position we found ourselves in pre tonight and along the way.

But let’s not be blind. January was disastrous and Evatt takes blame for that. He takes blame for continuing to use absolute wastes of spaces too.

Next season Evatt has to fix us as an attacking side. We’ve gone heavily backwards since selling Dapo and losing Dad Bod. But even then I don’t think he has the right balance. We desperately need to find more goals round the team and more consistently. I also think we need a proper bona fide target man who on nights like tonight will scrap with those big Accrington defenders. We are far too one dimensional. Trying to play through teams is not working every time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
For all the hype and talk Evatt builds low scoring sides that rely on defence and general negative tactics of keeping it and slowing the game down and hoping we hang on.

We had a brief period last season with Dapo and Bod and Baka and Charles when we found a few goals.

But other than that it’s pretty consistent aside from the odd moment here or there we are low scoring turgid dullards. He can build a defensive structure but we are overly reliant on it.

It’s not very entertaining watching us Wembley aside. Haven’t scored more than 1 goal in a game (Wembley aside) since February.
Hard to disagree with that. In that promotion season we tore Cambridge to shreds in what was our best performance but only won 2-1 & were hanging on by the end.

For all the back slapping we got after drawing at Wednesday this season when we controlled the game, we still only had 1 shot on target.

Wembley showed us how well they can play when we lift the tempo and hit the channels. That was against the then league leaders, yet we're going into games against sides in the relegation zone thinking the way to beat them is with a slow, tedious, sideways approach. It's maddening!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hard to disagree with that. In that promotion season we tore Cambridge to shreds in what was our best performance but only won 2-1 & were hanging on by the end.

For all the back slapping we got after drawing at Wednesday this season when we controlled the game, we still only had 1 shot on target.

Wembley showed us how well they can play when we lift the tempo and hit the channels. That was against the then league leaders, yet we're going into games against sides in the relegation zone thinking the way to beat them is with a slow, tedious, sideways approach. It's maddening!
Our best run of goal-scoring games came when Bradley was out and Jones was at RWB.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:43 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm
I'm certainly with the signings haven't worked.

N'lundulu gets the ball and you think "yes Dan. Decent position, decent take" then he has zero clue what to do next.

Shola, Mbete. Gambles not paid off.

Jerome dunno what the thinking was.

But Vic had 13 league goals. They can't all have been flukes (He's also got 3 for us at a faster mins per goal rate than Dapo), so still not writing him off yet.
Mbete seemed ok. Covering defensive prospect learning his trade. Was never intended as first choice so we can't really blame him for being relied upon. The free kick give away prior to being injured for the season probably paints him in a worse light than expected. As does the company he keeps in terms of it being a bad January transfer window.

For me, get N'lundulu out wide, simplify his game, take on the man and cross the ball. Rinse and repeat. He's clearly got talent but he's his own worst enemy at times. Through balls into the channel for him would work too I suspect.

Shoretire, looks like a lost child at times. Another whose learning his trade has just fallen off the wagon. He'd've benefitted substantially from being here at the same time as Dapo. Shame.

Jerome was doing well in a Luton side. The Luton side capable of making the play offs twice in two seasons. They're clearly a decent outfit so much more likely to create chances of quality than us. We've got him for another season, I suspect he's meant to be the competent backup striking option but instead, he's less effective than Nathan Delfouneso at the moment.

Vic just seems like its not clicking yet. Balls in behind at pace and I suspect we can get the best out of him. Trouble we've got is we're not creating enough clear cut opportunities and when we do get the balls in good areas we're snatching at it. When Vic's coming on as a sub its usually in line with the rest of the January signings which aren't working out.
Shola and Mbete isn't a criticism of either particularly. They're young, as you say, but the gamble was what we've witnessed in terms of here and now for a playoff push. Reasonable point re: Mbete, thought defensively he was decent for a 19 year old (who you might think will make the odd mistake)

N'lundulu. Not sure I'd sign him at 25 years old...

Jerome might have been "doing well" at Luton, but it wasn't related to putting the ball in the onion, which is what we're short of.

I forgot Randy...not impressed there either.

Vic, will take a view on next season. :-)

They're all clown shoes. Balls to them
And that ref. Who I hope comes out in hives.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

That said, we're 5th. We might end up 5th and my pre-season guess was 7th. So irrespective of what might happen, should we make the play-offs, it's going to be roughly what I expected...
Be a massive massive failure not to make the play offs. Both from start of the season and the position we found ourselves in pre tonight and along the way.

But let’s not be blind. January was disastrous and Evatt takes blame for that. He takes blame for continuing to use absolute wastes of spaces too.

Next season Evatt has to fix us as an attacking side. We’ve gone heavily backwards since selling Dapo and losing Dad Bod. But even then I don’t think he has the right balance. We desperately need to find more goals round the team and more consistently. I also think we need a proper bona fide target man who on nights like tonight will scrap with those big Accrington defenders. We are far too one dimensional. Trying to play through teams is not working every time.
Massive massive failure? You punted at 6th pre season...7th, I don't think is massive massively away from 6th...I mean it might be a point or two...

I don't think anyone is suggesting Jan was a roaring success...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:14 pm

For every "best", there's always a "worst" who comes along and upsets the apple cart. If we have any real ambition of being good enough to play Championship football we need to just accept this and get on with it. Fault-finding always has been the easiest occupation going. Like the phoenix, let's rise from the ashes and fly forth. Onwards... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Massive massive failure? You punted at 6th pre season...7th, I don't think is massive massively away from 6th...I mean it might be a point or two...

I don't think anyone is suggesting Jan was a roaring success...
Nobody will be happy with 7th for obvious reasons. If we bottle it then questions will rightly be asked.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:16 pm

Nobody will be happy with 7th for obvious reasons. If we bottle it then questions will rightly be asked.
Losing isn't necessarily "bottling it".....Sometimes things don't go your way. It's called "life"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 pm

Well I guess 6th and a couple of 0-2's in the play-offs would make everyone a lot happier?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 pm

Plymouth dropped out of the playoffs at the death last season, with a 5-0 home loss to MK. They recovered alright.

Not making the playoffs would be a huge disappointment but it wouldn’t mean the season is a massive massive failure.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 pm
Plymouth dropped out of the playoffs at the death last season, with a 5-0 home loss to MK. They recovered alright.

Not making the playoffs would be a huge disappointment but it wouldn’t mean the season is a massive massive failure.
Pretty much where I'm at. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:43 pm

Oh and my OCD has kicked in after listening to the post match interview. How does anyone think you can get 5 points from you last two games? 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 is all you can manage...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Adeboyejo has at least scored goals since joining.

Nlundulu. I would be exceptionally disappointed if we signed him permanently. He seems to do the difficult stuff ok, but totally abject when it comes to the basic stuff. Thankful it's only a loan.

Ultimately a 1-0 home defeat to Accrington is one of those results where you don't want to show your face for a few days. It's up there (and possibly worse than) the defeat against FGR.

Truly embarrassing. We go again Saturday.
Last edited by jmjhb on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:38 pm

As long as we don't go the way we did when we last missed out on a playoff spot then all should be fine.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:49 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:38 pm

As long as we don't go the way we did when we last missed out on a playoff spot then all should be fine.
Yeah, that was pretty dramatic. :-)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:25 am

Far from it. Had someone said that come the final two games of the season you would just miss out on the play offs but you'd have the cup win at Wembley in the bag I would've snatched their hands off.

This season has been great, but we're left wondering what could've been had Bod and Baka continued their goalscoring prowess off last season. As it stands the team that finished the best team in the second half of last season leaves a nasty shadow as to what could have been this season.

We won the cup despite our failings in the transfer window. Weve had 3 solid transfer windows in a row so we were due a blip here or there.

Whatever happens there's a big summer ahead. Goalkeepers, right backs, centre backs, midfielders and strikers. Weve got a really decent core to build on but replacing Trafford and Bradley is a tall order.

I suspect we'll look back on this season fondly. Hopefully next season will be a title push or if we are fortunate to get promoted a decent building season. I think we'll miss out on promotion this season, whether we get into the playoffs or not. We're not consistent enough up top, we can be great on the day ala Plymouth but that's an exception.

Either way, lots of positives, but disheartening to feel like Accrington have derailed us somewhat

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:48 am

I’m not in this massive love in camp of no matter what happens it’s fine.

Last time we missed out on the play offs people were fuming. Yet we did so by drawing on the last day to Blackpool. Annoying.

Yet if we miss out when it was in our hands because we can’t beat Accrington at home who are absolutely hapless, Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers I don’t think anyone can blame the fan base for obviously being very very angry.

It’s a truism that whilst we’ve won games 1-0 the way we are trying to play isn’t working. We need to sacrifice this tippy tappy slow play and start being a bit more direct especially from wide areas because short of Wembley and a couple of games where we’ve found spaces in behind because teams have pushed onto us I think we’ve hit a brick wall. We’ve been lucky since Wembley in the games we’ve won mainly. Going forwards we haven’t looked right most of the season.

The bottom line for me is that whilst I would find losing to a decent side in the playoffs a shame it would be ok. A sign of progress. Missing out because we’ve bottled it against Accrington etc would not be that and would require some honesty from the manager and team.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:21 am

Infuriating and frustrating

Honestly, I would be delighted if we never played Accrington again. Not many players came away with much credit last night.

The midfielders huffed and puffed, but ultimately, none of them are very creative and don't have the guile to get through compact areas.

The strikers are more profligate than prolific.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:27 am

All this pressure will be making it's way to the players. I know I am irrational for 90 mins but most things I say in those minutes rarely carry on when the day ends. These players are in League One for a reason and I think we forget is how young some of them are.

Personally I think they are doing great and through a shit ton of adversity. The loss of 4 critical players through lengthy injuries and to be in and around 5th is a feat in itself.

If we finish 5th,6th,7th then so be it. We deal with it and go again.

Wembley was a glimpse of how it can be when they play with no fear, one off nothing to lose. We pile on the pressure and they'll buckle like last night.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 am

I don't think I'm in a massive love camp, but if I was, I'd want it to be a massive massive love camp...Yes I'm pissed off with last night's showing, I'm just not hyperbolic around the point that 7th v 6th finish in reality, is not going to be massive massive in points terms.

Just to make the point, Brucie's Reading season 1994/5....

In March if we'd won our game in hand, we'd have gone top.

That year we won 21, drew 14, lost 11. This year so far we've won 21 drawn 12, lost 11

That year we had 11, 1-0 wins, this year, I think we're on 7.

We scored 10 more goals, but conceded 11 more...

Our last 11 games that year included 5 draws and 3 defeats. 7 of those games were v bottom half teams (same as this year's current last 11). This year, our current last 11 league games have included 4 draws and 3 defeats.

Then we lost the first play-off leg, and were pretty much out of the final on 75 minutes...

We lost at Wembley in a tin pot Cup....This year, we won at Wembley in huge trophy final... :-)

I've put a fairly obvious spin on that but rather than holding Bruce up as some sort of icon, I think what you're suggesting is we should have probably had a good close look, because it wasn't really working...