Beware the man in black..Home v Fleetwood, Sat 29th Apr. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Beware the man in black..Home v Fleetwood, Sat 29th Apr. 3-0'clock.

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:12 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:04 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:01 pm
WE ARE DEFINITELY IN THE PLAYOFFS
Eh? Surely not this negative, slow team of bottlers with the tactically inept manager who makes terrible signings...
Oi! We'll have none of that pessimism round here thank you very much :spank: :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:23 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Eh? Surely not this negative, slow team of bottlers with the tactically inept manager who makes terrible signings...
And still 5th...

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 pm

What was the red card for by the way - couldn't see from where we were?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:23 pm
dave the minion wrote:
And still 5th...
Still won't be good enough for some I suspect.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 pm
What was the red card for by the way - couldn't see from where we were?
Screenshot_20230429-173450.png
Screenshot_20230429-173450.png (346.2 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm

Football innit
Today was a good day!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:43 pm

MJ laughing at Stockley as he was sent off was a highlight today.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:46 pm

Oh and he had a good game. It was dreary today and we could've easily cracked however we got another clean sheet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:57 pm

Peterborough had 23 efforts, but only five on target. Per BBC, it's the eighth time this season they've failed to score at home.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Whatever happens from here, this season has, unquestionably, been a successful one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:04 pm

YESSSSSS! A great day. Think we got the team right. It wasn’t a great show first half but we definitely looked like we had players forward at times and pressed them.

Second half might have got a bit nervy but for the idiocy of their player getting himself sent off. But from then on we got the changes right in midfield and battered them. Could have been 4. Maybe should have been.

Toal was immense back there. Considering he’s just come back and has never played that role before I thought he was great.

MJ played that role in midfield well. Lee and Dempsey emptied it at times and it wasn’t easy. Fleetwood had a couple of moments first half but I’d say only one where I felt like they really should have scored.

We’ve achieved what we set out to do with a game to spare. And have a cup to boot.

I don’t think we can complain at the outcomes. If we get stuffed in the play offs then so be it. I think we have given ourselves a shot against the big budget teams.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:04 pm
YESSSSSS! A great day. Think we got the team right. It wasn’t a great show first half but we definitely looked like we had players forward at times and pressed them.

Second half might have got a bit nervy but for the idiocy of their player getting himself sent off. But from then on we got the changes right in midfield and battered them. Could have been 4. Maybe should have been.

Toal was immense back there. Considering he’s just come back and has never played that role before I thought he was great.

MJ played that role in midfield well. Lee and Dempsey emptied it at times and it wasn’t easy. Fleetwood had a couple of moments first half but I’d say only one where I felt like they really should have scored.

We’ve achieved what we set out to do with a game to spare. And have a cup to boot.

I don’t think we can complain at the outcomes. If we get stuffed in the play offs then so be it. I think we have given ourselves a shot against the big budget teams.
Genuinely good to hear, mate. For me, rest of the season is a bonus now. I'll be honest, I would have been a bit disappointed if we hadn't made the playoffs - even if we hadn't been in them for so long. But it's definite progress.

Unlike for Sheff Wed and (probably) Derby, who really need promotion, the play-offs are a bit of a free hit for us, and to an extent Barnsley (who will presumably also be under some finanical pressure after coming down last season). Hopefully that will tell in our play, we can have a bit of freedom.

If we go up, huge bonus. If not, we can continue to rebuild. We can hope the January signings that haven't quite clicked have a Dempsey-like first full season. We can add a few astute signings that don't break the bank. We can show clipreels of Traf and Bradley and tell the big clubs to send us their nearly-there best youngsters. And whatever, we can be proud of our beautiful club that's pointing in the right direction.

Have a good night, y'all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:04 pm

Genuinely good to hear, mate. For me, rest of the season is a bonus now. I'll be honest, I would have been a bit disappointed if we hadn't made the playoffs - even if we hadn't been in them for so long. But it's definite progress.

Unlike for Sheff Wed and (probably) Derby, who really need promotion, the play-offs are a bit of a free hit for us, and to an extent Barnsley (who will presumably also be under some finanical pressure after coming down last season). Hopefully that will tell in our play, we can have a bit of freedom.

If we go up, huge bonus. If not, we can continue to rebuild. We can hope the January signings that haven't quite clicked have a Dempsey-like first full season. We can add a few astute signings that don't break the bank. We can show clipreels of Traf and Bradley and tell the big clubs to send us their nearly-there best youngsters. And whatever, we can be proud of our beautiful club that's pointing in the right direction.

Have a good night, y'all.
We’ve got to get the attitude of nothing to lose going in. We still should be focussed and determined but there is no pressure on us. I don’t think hand on heart many expect us to win them.

But we have a ‘spare’ weekend next weekend with little riding on it and time now to really focus on being as good as we can for leg 1.

I prefer this to taking it to the last day and needing something as we’ve always done well as Evatt says with more rest and time on the training ground.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 pm

Lovely result. Been ages since we've played in play offs so this is a nice way to see out the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:57 pm

I’m with DSB all the way - I’ve never felt so relaxed about play offs, and wouldn’t next season for sure.

Shows Evatt is a top manager as well - over Tuesday and did it when it counted. We’d have got the result at Bristol we needed as well if it came to it.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:57 pm
I’m with DSB all the way - I’ve never felt so relaxed about play offs, and wouldn’t next season for sure.

Shows Evatt is a top manager as well - over Tuesday and did it when it counted. We’d have got the result at Bristol we needed as well if it came to it.
Relaxed about the playoffs?

I'm happy that we're there, confident enough to know we'll give a good effort now were here but not sure it'll be enough. Regardless I'm happy with the season and any success here on in is icing on the cake.

Delighted with the result today. Happy Toal is back. Think we'll likely be facing Barnsley in the playoffs and given other matches this season it could go either way.

I do wonder if we'll be playing a rotated squad will be the order of the day in the next match. Jerome, et al

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:28 pm

Relaxed - I don’t think we’ll win our semi final. Getting there was the aim, and there are four teams clearly better than us in this league. If we lose, we lose. Given our all, heads can be held high etc. Wednesday and Derby have a much bigger budget than us and Barnsley might as well! I’m not nervous about the games when i normally would be.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:03 pm
Whatever happens from here, this season has, unquestionably, been a successful one.
Agree with this. Most of us voted top six at the beginning of the season as being just about where we would be. We got more.. the Papa John Trophy. A successful season. Of course, we will be rooting for further success in the play-offs, but the players, coaching staff and Board can hold their heads high. Well done.

Now win the playoffs :D

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:28 pm
Relaxed - I don’t think we’ll win our semi final. Getting there was the aim, and there are four teams clearly better than us in this league. If we lose, we lose. Given our all, heads can be held high etc. Wednesday and Derby have a much bigger budget than us and Barnsley might as well! I’m not nervous about the games when i normally would be.
I dont think there are four teams better than us in this league. Just four teams more consistent. We beat the league leaders 4-0 in the cup final, we've beat Barnsley at Oakwell and we've drawn with Sheffield Wednesday. If I were betting I'd say were an outside bet, but I'd much rather us be playing sides at the top than us playing teams parking the bus.

I think it'll come down to whoever scores first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:08 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:28 pm
I dont think there are four teams better than us in this league. Just four teams more consistent. We beat the league leaders 4-0 in the cup final, we've beat Barnsley at Oakwell and we've drawn with Sheffield Wednesday. If I were betting I'd say were an outside bet, but I'd much rather us be playing sides at the top than us playing teams parking the bus.

I think it'll come down to whoever scores first.
Not being funny but teams that finish higher tend to be better…more consistent = better. It means they win more or lose less. I get your point, we can beat anyone on our day.

But I think it’s fair to say Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday are or will be both big favourites against us. Over two legs makes it tougher too for us. Have to upset the odds twice.

I think we go into them with little to lose. It isn’t the same as the last time we got here where we really felt the pressure to do it having gone close to autos and the club needing the money. Even then 6th place finish West Brom under future Bolton manager Gary Megson were 2-0 up and rampant in the first leg….anything can happen.