Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:12 pm

Alan Nixon is now reporting we've bid £300k for CMG.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:12 pm

So this is another one we have apparently signed yet clearly have not….club really need to sort out the leaks,

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:12 pm
So this is another one we have apparently signed yet clearly have not….club really need to sort out the leaks,
The local chatter is it's complete. Deal mooted since we were in Portugal, but the player wanted time and thus no formal bid.

We'll see how it goes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The local chatter is it's complete. Deal mooted since we were in Portugal, but the player wanted time and thus no formal bid.

We'll see how it goes.
Same as Wilson and Baccus were done. It’s probably not healthy for this stuff to leak like this given it raises expectations. If this one happens to break down or whatever then there will be an issue.

Be the first genuinely exciting signing this summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
So this is another one we have apparently signed yet clearly have not….club really need to sort out the leaks
You didn't seem to enjoy the radio silence either.

Clearly the bugle-blast of a signing announcement is preferable to either silence or whispering, but you can't justifiably complain about *both* of the latter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
So this is another one we have apparently signed yet clearly have not….club really need to sort out the leaks

Clearly the bugle-blast of a signing announcement is preferable to either silence or whispering, but you can't justifiably complain about *both* of the latter.
I don’t mind some reports about players we are linked with. But this insider social media stuff seems dangerous that clearly there are leaks reporting when players are round the club but without any real sourcing. Expectations become raised based on less info than the local press would have.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:23 pm
Same as Wilson and Baccus were done. It’s probably not healthy for this stuff to leak like this given it raises expectations. If this one happens to break down or whatever then there will be an issue.

I don't think it's the same, no; but it's possible it could be.

The noise around Luton is that the deal is signed and done, but I have no idea if that's correct as I can't verify it with the club. Maybe others can.

I agree the leaks are an issue, but we are getting things to within 24 hours of the signing for the most part, which honestly isn't bad in footy. Equally Nixon isn't really getting anything right anymore, not unless it leaks on social media first.

When I was at Wanderers we might as well have faxed the shortlists directly the Nixon, with how keen some were to sell him information.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:23 pm

I don't think it's the same, no; but it's possible it could be.

The noise around Luton is that the deal is signed and done, but I have no idea if that's correct as I can't verify it with the club. Maybe others can.

I agree the leaks are an issue, but we are getting things to within 24 hours of the signing for the most part, which honestly isn't bad in footy. Equally Nixon isn't really getting anything right anymore, not unless it leaks on social media first.

When I was at Wanderers we might as well have faxed the shortlists directly the Nixon, with how keen some were to sell him information.
Nixon had a hotline straight to Owen Coyle, Dougie Freedman and Phil Gartside (for a period) so it’s hardly surprising. He was effectively the official club reporter for a while.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don’t mind some reports about players we are linked with. But this insider social media stuff seems dangerous that clearly there are leaks reporting when players are round the club but without any real sourcing. Expectations become raised based on less info than the local press would have.
Not entirely sure what your point is here. Do you want to ban social media? That horse has bolted, friend.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:55 pm

^^ I think the suggestion isn't ban social media (although there's a decent case there)...It seems to be "insider" social media. Dunno who's being pointed at, but if they worked for me and I didn't want anything escaping, they'd get sacked (social media, word of mouth or whatever)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:16 pm

Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not entirely sure what your point is here. Do you want to ban social media? That horse has bolted, friend.
No it’s that the information has leaked out based on people seeing him round the club. Which means club employees or whatever are leaking this.

Every potential signing this summer in this way without a prompt announcement has not happened. As in Baccus was there. Wilson was there. Neither happened. The club probably want to look at how the info is getting out there because it’s not good expectation management if there are a load of ‘player x is a done deal’ stuff and the truth is that Evatt decides we won’t pay the wages.

I get you can’t completely seal this stuff. But feels very very leaky to me.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Pretty sure this happens with every club these days. Very hard to keep secrets in the world we live in.

Anyway, Mendes Gomes is someone I can actually recall having watched, and also recall being pretty good, so I’m all for that one.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:40 pm

CMG is an odd one for me in that he’s a very similar player to Dapo - a winger who plays best on the left, cutting inside onto his favoured right foot. I guess Evatt’s thinking he can play 10 and/or wingback more effectively than Dapo did.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:03 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:40 pm
CMG is an odd one for me in that he’s a very similar player to Dapo - a winger who plays best on the left, cutting inside onto his favoured right foot. I guess Evatt’s thinking he can play 10 and/or wingback more effectively than Dapo did.

I was also thinking that.

Can he play as a No. 10?

My excitment at his (potential) signing would be tempered somewhat if Evatt intends to play him as a wing-back.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:27 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:03 pm

Can he play as a No. 10?

My excitment at his (potential) signing would be tempered somewhat if Evatt intends to play him as a wing-back.
He can technically play any of our attacking positions and did so for Fleetwood.

His versatility makes loads of sense for Evatt, who Iles said wanted more than one striker in the building. CMG can easily play in our front two, behind them as a 10 or wide on either side - so he'd represent a superb squad addition.

At 24 and with over 100 appearances (plus a history of scoring goals) it's hard to fault.

He's coming to an age where he needs to nail down a role in a team and he would surely be a key player for us, but he will likely feature outside his "main" position too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:53 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:56 pm
Lewis Wing (CM/CAM) is leaving Wycombe. Scored 9 and assisted 5 more in 44 league appearances this season for the Chairboys.

Only 27 (28 in June) and Championship quality. He’d be a great addition irrespective of what league we’re in next season.
Signed for Reading.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:06 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:27 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:03 pm

Can he play as a No. 10?

He can technically play any of our attacking positions and did so for Fleetwood.

His versatility makes loads of sense for Evatt, who Iles said wanted more than one striker in the building. CMG can easily play in our front two, behind them as a 10 or wide on either side - so he'd represent a superb squad addition.

At 24 and with over 100 appearances (plus a history of scoring goals) it's hard to fault.

He's coming to an age where he needs to nail down a role in a team and he would surely be a key player for us, but he will likely feature outside his "main" position too.
I don’t like doing this as he’s not signed but looking at stats it’s also pretty hard to tell which position is his best. Which is a good thing. He’s done well on right and left and as a striker or a number 10. Don’t think he’s ever played at wing back but I think he’d do well there with his work rate. But might as you say need to play a few positions depending on the situation.

I could easily see him up front away from home with Charles…

Hoping now this gets done.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:43 am

Apparently CMG has signed, it's just not been announced by the club.

The Dack rumour also looks like it has some legs, as apparently he's possibly been training with us - but this could just be speculation ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:02 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:43 am
Apparently CMG has signed, it's just not been announced by the club.

The Dack rumour also looks like it has some legs, as apparently he's possibly been training with us - but this could just be speculation ?
Like Wilson and Baccus were signed but not announced?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:12 am

I think it's interesting to pick up stuff on the rumour mill, but I still don't count anyone as signed until I see PSG..