Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by dave the minion » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:48 pm

I agree. We lost - and always knew we would lose - our best and 2nd best players at the end of the season.

We were always going to be weaker as a result. I'd argue it would have been nigh on impossible to replace.tjr quality of those 2 in our position.

However, we've made the best fist we.can of replacing them within our budget, but we can't expect more.

We tried to get the RWB cover everyone wants in Wilson, but chose not to pursue. Maybe it's coincidence he's currently on the physio table for weeks, but imagine the clamour on here if we'd spent a wedge on him and he ended up injury prone....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:14 pm
We're not going to get who you think we need (probably.) We're going to get who Evatt and Markham think we need. I very much doubt they haven't spotted JCH is good at this level, so you can only conclude that they've worked out they can't land him for a number we'd be willing to pay, or whatever other reason they've not had a sneaky bid in...
That’s fine but instead of spending money on the ones we have……is the issue…….

If Evatt and Markham have got it right and we are better off with the ones we spent money on then fine. I always have questioned recruitment and early days I’m not sure those questions look wrong.
Yeah but part of the problem is, no one would likely disagree that having real quality all over the team is generally a bad thing. It's sorta stating the bleeding obvious! :-)

As you say, you question 90% of signings we make, so you're always in a pretty decent position if they then don't deliver, to say see I was right, but then you're measuring that against people we didn't sign, on the assertion that, if we had, it would've all been alright. It's a no lose gamble. :-)

You also apply the uneven equation, so the signing of N'lundulu is somehow the measure to compare to not signing Clarke-Harris, like the reason we didn't sign JCH was Dan...that's laughable. I suspect no one can credibly argue the two would cost the same amount over their contracts. I think we'd probably accept JCH and Dion would likely be the "starting two" but obviously you don't have to worry about the investment Evatt made in Vic In Insano world, we just bench him, because money is no object...

Much easier on the outside pissing in, my friend...
It’s a long term thing. We are obsessed with signing loads of cover or promising players. We should sign less players but make sure the ones we add are the highest quality.

The aim is to go up. It’s nice having a good squad with Forrester for example able to step up. But we’ve left ourselves short of quality. I’d rather not have signed any of the strikers we have and instead signed JCH. That’s not some nonsense comparison. The problem is we have Nlundulu, Jerome and even JDB who won’t between them come close to JCH’s goal return IMHO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:34 pm

Likely you're right on them 3. But Dion might get 20 and we dunno where Vic will land. The problem for me is the illusion of strength. I doubt anyone much was thinking either sub up front was going to secure the win. I'd have felt better with King Arthur coming on. :-)

The wider problem for me, is that in a one goal fairly even game you don't really see them impacting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:34 pm
Likely you're right on them 3. But Dion might get 20 and we dunno where Vic will land. The problem for me is the illusion of strength. I doubt anyone much was thinking either sub up front was going to secure the win. I'd have felt better with King Arthur coming on. :-)

The wider problem for me, is that in a one goal fairly even game you don't really see them impacting.
Yeah and this is my issue with the summer and earlier. We have a load of players some might become very good. But we’ve neglected ensuring the first 11 are good enough. And I’m struggling to see where the signings we needed to improve were. I go back beyond the summer. Maybe we can’t afford two in every position but we should react accordingly.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:44 am

The noise is that Rob Holding will leave Arsenal before the end of this window. I’m sure we’re monitoring developments on that front quite closely, as it could provide us with a handy little cash boost.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:00 am

I thought Ken cashed in on the future fees a while back?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:00 am
I thought Ken cashed in on the future fees a while back?
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... t-arsenal/

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:59 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:01 pm
How did you get to that £2.5m figure?
Its just a guess at the amount of the £4.5M bond money which I think would have gone into the transfer budget. Not just fee's but wages etc. If not I fail to see where the money will be spent.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:46 am

Increasing amount of chatter (idle for now) that Dion is going before the deadline.

I have no idea but I do know the club thought it a realistic possibility a couple of weeks ago. So interesting to see what we would do. Would have to assume we have a ready made replacement lined up but it would have to be a player proven and established at this level. Not some ‘hopeful’.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:46 am
Increasing amount of chatter (idle for now) that Dion is going before the deadline.

I have no idea but I do know the club thought it a realistic possibility a couple of weeks ago. So interesting to see what we would do. Would have to assume we have a ready made replacement lined up but it would have to be a player proven and established at this level. Not some ‘hopeful’.
it's Big Dan :mrgreen:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's actually the opposite - the talk is of Charles signing a new contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:49 pm

In general, I trust the process. And if we get offered life-changing money – or Dion threatens to de-pram his toys, as he has before – then "that's football". But I would be very fearful that if he goes, we would really struggle to replace him.

We could throw the money at Jonson Clarke-Harris, but we wouldn't get it back - he's 30 next year - and we also wouldn't get Dion's line-leading endeavour and the trap-springing pressing that matters so deeply to our tactics.

There's probably an equally enthusiastic presser out there, but it might be Kachunga.

Finding a presser who's also a scorer would be a huge task – especially in the last week of a transfer window, with everyone knowing we've just received a fat cheque. Well, probably not a cheque.

So I hope Bertie's right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:57 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's actually the opposite - the talk is of Charles signing a new contract.
Well I think both were possibilities - certainly club would be keen to tie him down. The fact it’s pushed to later in the window possibly suggests a waiting game to see what happens.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:19 pm

A bit like George Thomason staying and getting a new contract...

As I said after that, looking at the list of contracts expiring summer 2025, Dion's and Rico's are the two big ones to tie up, although I'm sure we're talking to Toal and Morley. (As for summer 2024 it's currently just John, Sadlier, Bod and Jerome, none of whom are vital; their lapsing contracts could/would give us decent elbow-room to retool the squad for the next task.)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:26 pm

I will be very miffed if Dion goes. Prepare for big sulks...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:26 pm
Even if someone offered us £5m+ for him? :wink:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:38 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
To do what, buy another Dion? Football or business? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
What if we could buy 2 Dions with the £5m? :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
The thing is fundamentally FV are good people but they aren’t here to pump money in forever. They need a return to pay back investors. There are two ways of getting that - either through promotion and increased revenues (though that would mean our costs staying relatively stable) OR through player trading.

So bottom line is we will need to sell players at some point especially if we don’t progress up the leagues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:58 pm

Looks like Charles has signed a new deal so TD can put the pitch forks away!