Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:43 pm

I see that speculation about new signings has started in the Jan 23 thread, so I thought we'd better have a proper chat for this. I'm predicting 100 pages by August. I suspect Veloso, Shittu & Vaz Te will get a mention along the way.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

You've been out, I'm guessing...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 01, 2023 12:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

😁 I've been at home. With wine.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 01, 2023 12:31 am

Talking of which, what's happened to Bruce R?
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2023 6:54 am

Just in time for first real link of the summer…..

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday ... 96974.html

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 01, 2023 7:29 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:30 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

😁 I've been at home. With wine.
Ah feck, musta been me that had been our then. :-) Dunno what's happened to Brucie..

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon May 01, 2023 8:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:54 am
Just in time for first real link of the summer…..

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday ... 96974.html
I can see why we’d be keen to continue fishing in that particular pool, and if this lad is half as good as Toal then get him signed up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2023 8:22 am

I know it won’t happen but Stockton has re found his scoring form.

Big lad. Target. But scores individual goals out of nothing. The sort of player who I think would elevate us if they got going. We have a lot of ball in the opponents half and the sort of player who can score a goal in tight situations would I think massively help.

Morecambe could survive but might drop….I think he’d absolutely elevate us…

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:22 am

Big lad. Target. But scores individual goals out of nothing. The sort of player who I think would elevate us if they got going. We have a lot of ball in the opponents half and the sort of player who can score a goal in tight situations would I think massively help.

Would happily take Stockton on a free - 30 League One goals in the past two seasons is more than respectable. He’d definitely add something to our attack. I think Wrexham will throw big money at him though much like they did with Paul Mullin and he’ll end up there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2023 9:10 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:22 am

Would happily take Stockton on a free - 30 League One goals in the past two seasons is more than respectable. He’d definitely add something to our attack. I think Wrexham will throw big money at him though much like they did with Paul Mullin and he’ll end up there.
Quite possible. I think what we want is that big target who can do something with their feet but most of all scores good goals…those sorts of clean strikes that Stockton executes.

The problem with Adeboyejo is he struggles to get it out of his feet. In our team a player who can get those quicker efforts away would potentially be gold dust.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Stockton hadn’t done much all season then suddenly turns up with 5 games left before he’s on a free transfer. Of course he’s playing for a terrible Morecambe side and may keep them up on his own (though the keeper is a good one as well I think). Not sure but I still don’t see him here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Time for the first (of presumably many) dips into wild flights of fancy based on hunches and hope. I guess I'll do the usual thing of focusing on one club/league/position or another, for possible easy wins. Such as teams goin' daaaaahhhhhn from the Champo...

BLACKPOOL
Not a great season for the Seaseaseasiders, who dispensed with Muscle Mike Atherton in mid-January and his replacement Musty Mick McCarthy in early April. Ex-Wanderer Stephen Dobbie wasn’t really expected to save them from relegation and he duly hasn’t. So who might shake free at the end of the season?

Quite a few, probably – Blackpool have 16 players out of contract. It’s not quite as mad as that seems, as the club have options to extend on a dozen of them – although whether they do or not remains to be seen.

Of the four without extension options, the most obvious name is probably centre-back JORDAN THORNILEY. Now 26, the Everton Academy graduate has played 74 second-tier games and 42 in the third, having moved to Sheffield Wednesday and then Blackpool, with a third-tier loan at Oxford to boot. We’ve been linked with him in previous Evatt windows, with his left-footedness – he's also played left-back – seen as a bonus.

But is it too late? Jack Iredale fits a pretty similar template, and a big question is how much Bolton need another centre-back: with Johnston, Santos and Jones rivalled by Iredale, Toal and arguably MJ (who would, if retained, add squad depth in midfield). Another is whether Evatt would want another sub-six-footer, having seen Johnston struggle in his first season. Has Thorniley’s time gone?

The other summer freebies are CURTIS NELSON, a former Plymouth, Oxford and Cardiff centre-back who turns 30 this month; STUART MOORE, a lifetime backup keeper (34 league games, aged 28); and KESHI ANDERSON, former Wanderers loanee wracked by injury. Not sure we should be knocking on any of those doors.

But there's names that might be of interest among the extendable dozen – Chris Maxwell, Luke Garbutt, James Husband, Callum Connolly, Liam Bridcutt, Kevin Stewart, Kenny Dougall, Matty Virtue, CJ Hamilton, Rob Apter, Beryly Lubala, Shayne Lavery and Gary Madine – if Blackpool don't extend their contracts (and last time I checked, they'd have to do so at the same or higher wages than this season's).

Leaving aside memories of Madine and mild surprise that Bridcutt's still going (not very far though - 182 league minutes this term), a name that jumps out is SHAYNE LAVERY. A not very tall Norn Iron striker who works like a dog and loves to run off the defender's shoulder – sounds like Dion MkII. Probably depends whether Blackpool trigger an extension.

Others in that list are possibilities. LUKE GARBUTT is a left-back or left-winger – another Everton Academy product (and England U21 cap), with 103 League One and 58 Champo games. Turns 30 in May, hasn't been in the side much this season – he was left off the squad list after the January window, but added back in.

CALLUM CONNOLLY is another familiar name (and another Everton Academy grad). Loaned to us in 2019, he joined Blackpool in summer 2021 and was made captain by McCarthy. Now 25, he's made 155 Champo and 67 League One appearances in every defensive and midfield position, including both sides; that versatility (in a six-foot-plus lad) could be useful, with plenty of potential as an outside centre-back, but it would be something of a surprise if Blackpool don't trigger the extension – nobody's played more minutes for them this season.

One more thing. Blackpool hit the loan market hard this season (eight times), and aimed high. They borrowed two off Man City – Lewis Fiorini and Morgan Rogers, both 2002 births like James Trafford (not 2004 like Shola). They borrowed Rhys Williams off Liverpool and also got players off Arsenal and Leeds. Their demotion might make them a less likely destination, while our stock will have risen through Traf and Bradley. No bad thing.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:31 am
He's absolutely fine. Was out with him last week.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 01, 2023 3:36 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
I'd snog him, what about you?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 01, 2023 4:34 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:36 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
I'd snog him, what about you?

I'm not having your sloppy seconds. 🤣
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2023 10:02 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:36 am
I look forward to Brommers' goalkeeper scouting report. :D
Can't help you with that, the boy Brommers is busy these days, but I can repost some suggestions me and Ghost made at the turn of the year. So some of the info - including contracts - may be out of date.
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am
Will look forward to DSB and Brommers offering up suggestions of who we could/should sign.
It's been a quiet day at work. Here's some goalkeeper options, in descending age order, from the four local Premier League clubs. Inclusion on list does not automatically indicate authorial enthusiasm.

Nathan Bishop, Man U, 15/1/99
Londoner, 23. Out of contract in summer. Bought by MU from Southend, has since been loaned to Mansfield and linked with us. Helped Stags to last season’s play-off final. Has been kept around this season but has had Tom Heaton plus either Martin Dubravka or Jack Butland and has only made the bench twice.

Matej Kovar, Man U, 17/5/00
Czech, 22. Contracted to 2025 (+1). Has had loans to third-tier Swindon and Burton, and was set to go to Cheltenham this season – but United held on to him until they signed Martin Dubravka on the summer-window deadline day. Then they loaned Kovar back to his homeland, where he is now Sparta Prague’s No.1.

Billy Crellin, Everton, 30/6/00
Let's not.

Vitezslav Jaros, Liverpool, 23/7/01
Another Czech, 21. Loaned to Stockport this season, displaced the No.1 Ben Hinchliffe and had a run of 11 league games (5 clean sheets) but got injured and Hinchliffe has impressed since.

Liam Hughes, Liverpool, 19/8/01
Norn Iron U21 keeper signed from Celtic. Was loaned to Stalybridge for second half of last season.

Harry Tryer, Everton, 6/12/01
Scouse keeper loaned to Chester for this season. Contracted to 2025.

Ondrej Mastny, Man U, 8/3/02
Another United Czech, 20. On loan to Portadown in NI. English third tier (or even second?) might be a big leap, but that’s for scouting to decide.

Jack Barrett, Everton, 4/6/02
Tryer's U23s understudy. Hasn't been loaned yet.

Cieran Slicker, Man City, 15/9/02
Presumably Traf’s locker-neighbour - he’s City squad number 84 to Traf’s 85 - Slicker is an Oldham-born Scottish youth international. Loaned to Rochdale for the first half of this season, but didn’t play much so was taken back last month.

For age comparison purposes: James Trafford was born 10/10/02.

Zan-Luk Leban, Everton, 15/12/02
Slovenian who has been on the first-team bench under Ancelotti (albeit as one of two sub keepers). Hasn't been loaned yet.

Marcelo Pitaluga, Liverpool, 20/12/02
U17 World Cup winner in November 2019. A regular for LFC U23s, he's also made the first-team bench on a few occasions. Loaned to Macclesfield in summer, excelled (11 clean sheets in 23) but picked up an injury. When fit, he trains with the first team and is regarded (alongside Harvey Davies) as their best Academy goalkeeper. Will be prime loanee material by summer.

Jakub Ojrzyński, Liverpool, 19/2/03
Pole in the goal? Liverpool's U21 keeper was loaned to home-country club Radomiak Radom in summer but came back last month.

Harvey Davies, Liverpool, 3/9/03
Scouser who won the U19 Euros last summer. Not loaned yet but regarded, with Pitaluga, as the closest Academy goalkeeper to breaking into the first team.

Radek Vitek, Man U, 24/10/03
Yet another Czech – clearly they have a pipe – aged 19. Was in travelling squad to Villarreal. Not even sent on loan yet so presumably the leap would be too big.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:58 pm
Good list, DSB. My pick would be Conor Hazard from Celtic.

Northern Ireland international.
Looked like he might be first choice under Neil Lennon, but frozen out under Postecoglou.
League winner whilst on loan in Helsinki. Also voted goalkeeper of the year in Finland and player of the year for HJK.
Played CL and Europa League at both Helsinki and Celtic.
Won the Scottish Cup with Celtic and kept goal in the final. Saved two pens in the shoot out (bad error during the game balances that out).

One a free, wage demands are said to be reasonable (primarily wants to play now) and a good age, being 25 in the summer.

Has everything we go for. Resale potential, experience despite his youth (for a keeper), took a risk moving abroad for football and has experience actually winning trophies. Also regarded by the Celtic staff as highly professional and extremely mentally resilient.

He's Northern Irish and nobody would have to learn a new name for the keeper. What's not to love?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2023 10:07 am

^^ What about Jensen from Burnley on loan - he had a great game against us - I think is well thought of by Accrington fans.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 03, 2023 10:10 am

Aye, a big challenge for the boy Markham and team this summer.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before, but the financial gap between League One and the Championship is surprisingly large. We'd be looking at an additional £5-£6m from tv/solidarity payments alone, plus whatever we'd generate from bigger crowds - which would probably not be insignificant.

This financial discrepancy between divisions must have made planning extremely difficult, because we'd be able to fish in completely different pools were we to get promoted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 03, 2023 10:31 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:10 am
This financial discrepancy between divisions must have made planning extremely difficult, because we'd be able to fish in completely different pools were we to get promoted.
Including Europe. Different rules.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2023 10:40 am

Excellent work by DSB on GK's - but, I think I saw a couple with "Scottish" in their write up. Really? Goalkeeper and Scottish? :-)