Pieces of eight or a "Joey"? Away to Bristol, Sunday May 7th 12,0 clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Pieces of eight or a "Joey"? Away to Bristol, Sunday May 7th 12,0 clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 01, 2023 9:16 am

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of Bristol Cream for the final countdown. With naught but the playoffs to talk about action-wise, may as well enter the last League game with a visit to Admiral Barton's Pirate lair good and early. Suddenly,not as critical now as the Whites have done their work and earned a play-of spot, but it will still be nice to scupper the good ship "Joey" and sail back North with the doubloons (read goals). Probably an ill-tempered, scrappy affair with goals hard to come by, but it will be nice if we can end on a high to enter the play-offs. Stand by to repel boarders then.. :Jedi: :D

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pieces of eight or a "Joey"? Away to Bristol, Sunday May 7th 12,0 clock

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 01, 2023 10:23 am

Well they got a draw, away, last week to help us into the playoffs. Don't see them wanting to help us again. :-) Would be good for momentum, if we could sign off with a win. But I also might be tempted to bench Dempsey (for a rest) and be looking at whether one or two others might need similar. That said, I'd also rather finish 5th than 6th. I suspect both teams in Sheff Wed / Derby game would want the win..

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 01, 2023 12:22 pm

Genuinely miffed as I was wanting to go to this,

Not in work, check.
Wife off work, check.
Tickets, gone in 60 seconds.

Where were you when we won with Onion man, pay on the gate that was.

Anyways, will be watching from South West Wales.

COYWM!!!

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 am

Whilst this would be a nice to win as a confidence booster one of the more important things for me is no injuries and no sendings off.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2023 10:06 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 am
Whilst this would be a nice to win as a confidence booster one of the more important things for me is no injuries and no sendings off.
I can’t imagine we are going to risk many of our top performers here.

Selfishly I’d prefer us to finish 5th as the schedule works better for me. But it’s not worth risking key players for. Let them have a rest because Joey Barton would be happy to see his side injure a few no doubt.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 02, 2023 10:09 am

Bit of a balance between resting a few and not getting a confidence-sapping tanking. 3-4 changes and early subs I reckon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 02, 2023 10:12 am

I also think Barnsley might be a better semi opponent than Sheff Wed.

And Evatt loves momentum.

One big question is whether Rico gets some minutes. Maybe he'll be on the bench.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 02, 2023 10:59 am

Until last week I was sure Wednesday would be the better play off opponents. They were gutted at missing out, under huge pressure etc but there seemed to be a bit of a shift in their mentality on Saturday. They dispatched Shrewsbury easily enough and all the messages coming out were, they knew this was coming and what they have to do now etc.

I don't fancy us against either tbh. This team is better than they're showing right now. I'm sure of it. However, underperforming or not, over 2 games against sides demonstrably better than us, I don't see a way through.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 02, 2023 11:28 am

Yeah, a final-day disappointment would have been more injurious to Sheff Wed. You do wonder, still, how they'd react if they go a goal (or two) down in the away leg...

Still not sure Barnsley are the most terrifying opponents we could face. I know, points total etc, but TBH I'd 'expect' us to lose more v Derby.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2023 11:35 am

I think you can’t really read it. Sheffield Wednesday are the better side and obviously have time to recover from disappointment. On the other hand Barnsley have more momentum, are youthful and I suspect will have less fear going in.

I’m kind of seeing it as tough to beat either over two legs. I’d probably marginally opt for Barnsley but I think it’s a tough read.

My gut feeling is Sheffield Weds will finally do it and get out this league but play offs are often unpredictable.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 02, 2023 1:19 pm

Maybe Barnsley would be minorly preferable in the playoffs, but I think our main priority should be going into the first leg with as clean a bill of health as possible. With that in mind, I'd definitely be rotating significantly on Sunday, and ensuring that none of our best players (bar Trafford, I guess) play for longer than an hour.

Bradley, Charles and Dempsey I'd be tempted not to play at all. Toal and Santos (if he's ready) could be given some minutes, but probably ideally not more than a half each.

Thomason, Shoretire, Nlundulu, John, Jerome, maybe even Isgrove, can get starts as we know they're not likely to be playoff starters, but should still all be keen to show what they can do for next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 02, 2023 5:09 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:19 pm
Maybe Barnsley would be minorly preferable in the playoffs, but I think our main priority should be going into the first leg with as clean a bill of health as possible. With that in mind, I'd definitely be rotating significantly on Sunday, and ensuring that none of our best players (bar Trafford, I guess) play for longer than an hour.

Bradley, Charles and Dempsey I'd be tempted not to play at all. Toal and Santos (if he's ready) could be given some minutes, but probably ideally not more than a half each.

Thomason, Shoretire, Nlundulu, John, Jerome, maybe even Isgrove, can get starts as we know they're not likely to be playoff starters, but should still all be keen to show what they can do for next season.
Isgrove hasn't been seen since suffering a "minor" injury in March.

Could play Randy RWB and Dec LWB. Or Geth at RWB – we score five whenever we do that - and give Toal/Santos some minutes to get fit. But that in itself is a balance - "minutes in the legs" or risk reduction?

Could bring in Thomason and Lee for Morley and Dempsey. Keep MJ in for Sheehan, as we might need that more defensive skillset for the away leg.

Could rest Charles for... Adeboyejo? I don't see another line-leader there. Shoretire could be the second striker - he drowned at 10 - if you want to save Kacha. Nlundulu might be a wiser choice though, as we'll need to make a decision.

So you could, if you want, go:
Traf; Toal-Santos-Johnston; Randy-Lee-MJ-Thomo-Dec; Nlundulu-Adeboyejo
Subs from Dixon, Jones, Sheehan, Morley, Dempsey, Kacha, Jerome, Dion, perhaps one or two B-teamers

...but it'd be weaker, and would it help to get beaten? A week ago Bristol Rovers held out for 50 minutes (half of them with 10 men) at Plymouth, and the reason we're able to rest players at all is that they then held out for a 0-0 at Posh. They'll want a strong end - albeit possibly not a 7-0 like last season...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2023 5:19 pm

Charles, Bradley, Dempsey, Morley all rested for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 02, 2023 6:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:19 pm
Not averse to that - I'm guessing you'd go Randy/Dec as RWB/LWB rather than move Geth to RWB?

If we go the latter route, we might be a bit short on CD's. Gethin and George have both played more minutes than Demps and Morley :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 02, 2023 7:03 pm

Going against the grain here, but what's left including the play-offs is just the same for all involved. None of those beyond the top three can afford to do anything but win, and I include us. I can't agree it doesn't matter now if we lose to Bristol, because it does.
We need the confidence boost a win will give, not a kick up the shorts to Joey's smash and grab bandits that losing will be. We've only a fortnight's effort left before it all gives way to cricket for a few months.

For me, it would be totally crackpot to lose momentum right now by picking a weakened side,. Cotton wool isn't going to solve anything. The lads are professionals and Benidorm, Bali and Bermuda will still be there in a month. Get out there and give it our best shot. We're playing the best of League One in the play-offs, so losing will be no shame, but winning....Oh Boy..

A quick rub down with Fiery Jack and a couple of Fisherman's Friend sweets should do it....COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea:

:lol: ae:)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2023 7:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:19 pm
Not averse to that - I'm guessing you'd go Randy/Dec as RWB/LWB rather than move Geth to RWB?

If we go the latter route, we might be a bit short on CD's. Gethin and George have both played more minutes than Demps and Morley :-)
Santos back. Toal right side. Johnston left side. All need minutes. So makes sense to play them. Geth RWB. Dec LWB.

Happy if it’s Randell RWB too.

Midfield…MJ, Thomason, Sheehan. Or even Shoretire. Just keep Lee in case it’s Sheff Weds (have a feeling it might be).

Adeboyejo and Kachunga up top? Or even Nlundulu.

Tango - normally I’d agree but our best performance this season was Wembley where we had two weeks prep before and players rested up. People thought the big break would hurt us but seemed the opposite. Our hard runners for me should be protected and rested up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 pm

^^ I think we played Rotherham behind closed doors as part of the "rest period?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2023 9:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 pm
^^ I think we played Rotherham behind closed doors as part of the "rest period?"
Yeah fair. But won’t have been a full throttle thing and presumably like pre season friendlies we made a fair few changes during it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 02, 2023 10:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 pm
Yeah fair. But won’t have been a full throttle thing and presumably like pre season friendlies we made a fair few changes during it.
Would have thought it about match sharpness..So I'm sure there's a balance, between people needing a rest and those needing to get (Santos/Toal maybe) some proper game time...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 02, 2023 10:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:23 pm

Tango - normally I’d agree but our best performance this season was Wembley where we had two weeks prep before and players rested up. People thought the big break would hurt us but seemed the opposite. Our hard runners for me should be protected and rested up.
Again, just my opinion, because I'm not even pretending to know answers, but momentum is an essential part of repetitive good play, and this can't be really achieved unless the players know each others games. Even on the training pitch, individuality is great to watch, but familiarity is essential in the sort of fast one-touch game that todays football needs. A shining example is the amount of times we've been caught flat-footed in the past by just that.. Again, for me, I'd be concentrating on fitness and speed combined with players knowing where their team mates will be, and why risk losing by upsetting a settled side with so few games left?

Oh, and the ability to shoot straight whoever plays will help of course.. :mrgreen: