The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri May 12, 2023 9:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 pm
If they'd let Derby equalise, they wouldn't have played Posh....
Probably thought Posh were the easier option than Derby? :conf:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by knobpolisher » Fri May 12, 2023 9:53 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:57 am
Will be interesting to see how Peterborough and Sheffield Wed perform tonight. Don't think Peterborough will be a pushover, I'm predicting Sheffield not to make the final ..... so there .
Well my prediction looks bang on.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri May 12, 2023 9:59 pm

All we need now is the same score for us tomorrow.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:59 pm
All we need now is the same score for us tomorrow.

Same score as Peterborough or Sheff Wed? 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 10:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 pm
Peterborough 2 up. Did say they were dangerous with last day momentum and nowt to lose.
Yeah but you also said it was Wednesday's year... :D

I thought they'd be better with Windass back. They've completely frigged it.

I still think Posh in the final would be preferable to Wednesday, Derby or Barnsley. I can see the momentum/"nothing to lose" argument - but they will be under significantly more financial pressure than us, what with coming down from the Champo. They would have expected, or at least hoped for, a much more impressive season than only just sneaking into the top six.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 pm
Peterborough 2 up. Did say they were dangerous with last day momentum and nowt to lose.
Yeah but you also said it was Wednesday's year... :D

I thought they'd be better with Windass back. They've completely frigged it.

I still think Posh in the final would be preferable to Wednesday, Derby or Barnsley. I can see the momentum/"nothing to lose" argument - but they will be under significantly more financial pressure than us, what with coming down from the Champo. They would have expected, or at least hoped for, a much more impressive season than only just sneaking into the top six.
Well I said pre last weekend but the way Posh got into the play offs did make me think I wouldn’t fancy playing them. Wednesday really have bottled it tonight but I thought Peterborough were good.

On paper you’d obviously fancy playing them given their more middling season but they’ve just won at Oakwell to sneak in then smashed third placed Wednesday in one leg have a young team just coming together at the right time. It’s an almost classic play off winning script.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 11:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm
Well I said pre last weekend but the way Posh got into the play offs did make me think I wouldn’t fancy playing them. Wednesday really have bottled it tonight but I thought Peterborough were good.

On paper you’d obviously fancy playing them given their more middling season but they’ve just won at Oakwell to sneak in then smashed third placed Wednesday in one leg have a young team just coming together at the right time. It’s an almost classic play off winning script.
Yeah, it's a good script. But that's why it's a classic – we retain the memorable stories.

I remember writing an in-depth piece on the play-offs and expecting to find common threads. Instead I found a wealth of different stories. There's no real "top team never wins it" or "best form over last six weeks wins" or whatever - it's a mush of stories and desperation, often turning on single incidents. If big Michael Smith takes that chance after six minutes tonight it's a whole other tale. Instead Dawson lets a dolly under him and Posh are on their way. Second one's a deflection. Third is their third shot on target.

I also think that 0-5 at theirs has got to play on minds.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 12, 2023 11:23 pm

🤣🤣🤣 One Wednesday fan on their forum has started a thread suggesting they sack Moore tonight and hire megson for the home leg, nothing to lose apparently!
To be fair to the rest of them, he's getting pelters.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 pm
If they'd let Derby equalise, they wouldn't have played Posh....
Probably thought Posh were the easier option than Derby? :conf:
Probably. And life's easy with hindsight. But they did get turned over 2-0 @ Posh earlier in season, iirc. :-)

Megson in. They could end up on a season where the most memorable bit has nowt to do with 96 points...

Oh and there's some proper hedging going on, on this page! :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 13, 2023 12:14 am

People love narratives too much :)

It's knock out football. Realistically given its 3-6th after 46 games everyone has somewhere between 20-30% chance of going up.

Fair feck* to Posh. I hope we get to the final, but whoever we faced it would be close to a 50/50. Control what you can and hope it goes your way.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 13, 2023 9:31 am

Still got that flat feeling about this. Don’t know if it’s cos I think we will win or lose. Doesn’t feel the same as previous play offs. Or even the run in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 13, 2023 9:41 am

It's my granddaughters third birthday today and guess where the party is? I'll just have to hope I can monitor a bit of the game via B.B.C text commentary (for those not doing t.v, last night's game was quite well covered) I'm predicting an entirely different game to Wednesday and Posh with a few more shovelsfull of grit and gravel in the mix. As ever, Faith in the lads is strong, so COME ON YOU WHITES..,.

May the spirit of Super Kev be with us.. :davies:

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea: ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 10:14 am

I think the options to guess where the party is, are almost unlimited. I'm going to go for "Not the Unibol" and maybe "Your house."

At the age of three, she'll never remember you sneaked off to listen to the footy mate. You could probably tell her that ear bud was a new hearing aid!

I await Insano's carefree HT report, if we are 0-1 after 45. :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 13, 2023 11:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:14 am
I think the options to guess where the party is, are almost unlimited. I'm going to go for "Not the Unibol" and maybe "Your house."

At the age of three, she'll never remember you sneaked off to listen to the footy mate. You could probably tell her that ear bud was a new hearing aid!

I await Insano's carefree HT report, if we are 0-1 after 45. :-)
Got it in one Worthy. I'l do my best to sneak a few mins and maybe get the second half.
:oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 13, 2023 1:31 pm

I think we'll win 1-0 today. And every minute until full time on Friday will be awful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 13, 2023 2:00 pm

TEAM NEWS
Kacha and Randy start.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat May 13, 2023 2:05 pm

No keeper on the bench. Risky.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 13, 2023 2:11 pm

Mads Andersen starts for them.

Let's hope he does as well as he did last time, when he was sent off for pulling down Dion and that 12th-minute penalty sent us on the way to much happiness.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 2:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:08 pm
It could all be an elaborate hoax... :-)
8) :(

Oh and Anderson back for them.

Who'da thowt it?

Line up pretty much what I spected too.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat May 13, 2023 2:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 2:11 pm
Mads Andersen starts for them.

Let's hope he does as well as he did last time, when he was sent off for pulling down Dion and that 12th-minute penalty sent us on the way to much happiness.
He's an excellent defender at this level and I hoped he wouldn't be available. Duff said there was a 50/50 chance of him making today so let's have if he's fully up to match fitness.