The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Noooooo. We'll regret that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Well defended to be fair

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 13, 2023 4:50 pm

Six added minutes. Get Dad Bod on!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 pm

Slight advantage Barnsley. We can play a lot better than that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 13, 2023 4:58 pm

Very fortunate not he to losing and effectively out of it. Struggling to see anything other than defeat at theirs, but you never know. He absolutely has to play MJ Williams in midfield instead of Morley.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 13, 2023 4:59 pm

Well, interesting. Just a little short. Sort of reminds me of the 1990 playoffs, when we drew 1-1 with Notts County - who'd finished 18pts clear of us, in third - then lost 2-0 down there. Let's see if we can change that dynamic.

I understand both why the team was picked and why some were disappointed with how the XI played. Not sure many of the subs made a strong case to start on Friday, though. Evatt will have to wrestle with whether Kacha deserves another start, given the alternatives, but you imagine Barnsley might want more ball at home so his pressing might be useful.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 13, 2023 5:01 pm

Actually ended a "much ado about nowt" affair in terms of proving anything. Point was made a couple of times by B.B.C commentator about needing to get Charles some support up front. Sounded about right to me, but I'll take advice?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 5:05 pm

All still to play for. We know we have more gears than that. Not unhappy with "parity." We finally have our "must win" game. :-)

Williams best I've seen from him. Vic came on in flippers and actually fell over more than once with no one near him, shocking. And what was Dan's Happy Feet impersonation all about?

Dion well taken goal. Traff probably MOTM from us. Brads solid, but well marshalled, MF not really on it, apart from some superb Morley deliveries (combined with some really poor Morley passes).

Defence a combo of decent and shakey. The need telling that just coz we don't shoot from the edge, it doesn't mean they won't.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 pm

Overall it was fairly disappointing. Barnsley executed their game plan very well, and I feel we were too slow to adjust.

It’s easy to scapegoat individuals, but I would be quite upset if Kachunga starts the second leg. He really doesn’t contribute enough to justify inclusion over our other options, even if they all have something to prove.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 5:20 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 pm
Overall it was fairly disappointing. Barnsley executed their game plan very well, and I feel we were too slow to adjust.

It’s easy to scapegoat individuals, but I would be quite upset if Kachunga starts the second leg. He really doesn’t contribute enough to justify inclusion over our other options, even if they all have something to prove.
Kacha put more decent balls in, in the first 15 mins, than either sub in the last 15. If you're scapegoating Kacha after that team performance, it's a pretty poor do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm

We got away with it a bit for me. Barnsley played very well. Probably the best away performance bar Ipswich I’ve seen. They completely stopped us in midfield and dominated. Dangerous enough in attack without being ruthless. That’s our lifeline. Be honest with ourselves Barnsley should have won by a couple today and that would more than likely be tie put to bed. They didn’t and we scored with our only really meaningful attack.

I am not Kachunga’s biggest fan but I don’t think he was any worse than a number today and probably a fair bit better than some. Morley was all over the show. The back three weren’t great either - we missed Jones massively today. Like there is no way he isn’t in our strongest 11. Bradley had his hands full. Charles was not in the game and neither was Dempsey. You can’t really pick out individuals I thought Kacha had an impossible job given our midfield offered nothing.

For me the back three were too deep and we missed Jones’ running. Santos is way off being properly fit - did well in the air but couldn’t move.

All I can say is we can’t play much worse. We are still in it. Anything can happen in these games. But Barnsley definite favourites now based on that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Pretty much my take, too, mate.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 pm

Disappointing. The best atmosphere at the Reebok since the Atletico Madrid game and the players just didn't rise to it. No tempo, again, no creativity, again. Yet another keeper goes home without getting his gloves mucky.

We're still in it, so some hope.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 13, 2023 5:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 pm
Disappointing. The best atmosphere at the Reebok since the Atletico Madrid game and the players just didn't rise to it. No tempo, again, no creativity, again. Yet another keeper goes home without getting his gloves mucky.

Have to give credit to Barnsley. I don’t think we played that well but they definitely did. We did well to respond to their goal as they have the best record in the league from going in front.

There are games we are our won worst enemies but for me today we came up against a very good opponent who really should have won the game. We go again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 13, 2023 6:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Sorta glad he didn't get them mucky tbf... :-)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

This 100%, absolutely immense support - its a pity the team doesn't show the same passion & desire. As HG said no tempo or creativity and I will add no passion or intensity. There is a complete lack of pace in the team.

Poor performance by us they looked a much better side and will be disappointed with a draw, everything we did was slow & predictable - Johnston & one or two others were shocking with the ball, our passing & crossing was Sunday League standard. Trafford was absolutely outstanding. Morley, Sheehan & Kachunga were very poor IMO, it was like playing with 9 men with Kachunga & Sheehan.

They will have to up the performance massively in the 2nd leg. Only players to come out with credit today where Trafford, Toal, Dempsey, Bradley & Charles and possibly Santos although he played like he had a large lead weigh attached to his body.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat May 13, 2023 6:26 pm

If that's a bad performance and we didn't lose then I'll take it.

Underdogs on Friday, on telly, we'll shit em.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 13, 2023 6:27 pm

Us 7 shots 1 on target (the goal) Barnsley 19 shots 5 on target.

Still in awe of the support & noise today, but the team just didn't turn up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 13, 2023 6:33 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

This 100%, absolutely immense support - its a pity the team doesn't show the same passion & desire. As HG said no tempo or creativity and I will add no passion or intensity. There is a complete lack of pace in the team.

Poor performance by us they looked a much better side and will be disappointed with a draw, everything we did was slow & predictable - Johnston & one or two others were shocking with the ball, our passing & crossing was Sunday League standard. Trafford was absolutely outstanding. Morley, Sheehan & Kachunga were very poor IMO, it was like playing with 9 men with Kachunga & Sheehan.

They will have to up the performance massively in the 2nd leg. Only players to come out with credit today where Trafford, Toal, Dempsey, Bradley & Charles and possibly Santos although he played like he had a large lead weigh attached to his body.
There was no lack of effort, passion or application today. We struggled at times and part of that was a very good Barnsley performance part of it was a back three that definitely missed Jones and Santos obviously not being fit plus a midfield who did not yet going.

They did try, they tried to add tempo. They just could not.

I’m surprised your list includes Dempsey as I thought he was completely ineffectual today.

But let’s be clear we weren’t lacking the effort or desire today. A combination of issues meant we just couldn’t get going. But crucially Barnsley took the lead and that almost always means they win…not today….

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 13, 2023 6:43 pm

Might have, could have, should have...... didn't. Applies two ways. That's why we're playing off level-pegging in six days time. The rest is totally immaterial. Simply put; Are Barnsley or Peterborough better than us? If the the answer is in the affirmative, send the team on holiday and get ready to do it all again next season. Me, I'll always keep the faith and believe we can do it. Cock -eyed optimist,me? yeah okay. Till we lose, we're still battling. Deep breath, open eyes and at em. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?