We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 19, 2023 10:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:03 pm
Midfield, wing backs and up front. The debate about strikers is over. Nobody can argue we can go into next season with those lumps as our options.
I don't judge forwards when there's not been a single quality ball into them over 90 minutes. The movement was fine, they just got no service of any kind.

Barnsley closed down in a shape to feed the ball to Toal and he misplaced almost every pass he hit.

Morley was also utter garbage.

Evatt got the midfield shape wrong in the first half. We were good for 15 minutes in the second half and then it went to crap again.
I also thought Toal had a stinker. Decent season but looking at next season I really don't know where the positives are right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Midfield, wing backs and up front. The debate about strikers is over. Nobody can argue we can go into next season with those lumps as our options.
I don't judge forwards when there's not been a single quality ball into them over 90 minutes. The movement was fine, they just got no service of any kind.

Barnsley closed down in a shape to feed the ball to Toal and he misplaced almost every pass he hit.

Evatt got the midfield shape wrong in the first half. We were good for 15 minutes in the second half and then it went to crap again.
You can judge their ability to trap a bag of cement. They cannot. They are offering absolutely no threat. I’m telling you now. They aren’t good enough for where we want to be. Every fan can see it.

Better strikers with Charles would hide some of our issues - score more goals would hide the issues elsewhere.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:07 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You can judge their ability to trap a bag of cement. They cannot. They are offering absolutely no threat. I’m telling you now. They aren’t good enough for where we want to be. Every fan can see it.

Better strikers with Charles would hide some of our issues - score more goals would hide the issues elsewhere.
Stop stating your opinion as absolute unassailable fact. It doesn't help your cause.
Last edited by truewhite15 on Fri May 19, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I also thought Toal had a stinker. Decent season but looking at next season I really don't know where the positives are right now.
We will improve and go again next season. Not for doom and gloom. The two play off games we were awful in. But we got 81 points.

We are probably 3 really good additions plus a keeper away from having a chance at the top 2. It’s about getting it right this summer. We had a poor January but I think they’ve had a second half of season to assess what we need. They need to get it right but Plymouth finished 7th last season.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 pm

Simple. Not good enough to beat a second rate time wasting bunch of diving pricks.

I'm so angry they didn't play the two games for what they are, cup finals.

Just fecking go for it. Cagey 1 nil wins isn't in our DNA any more.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
I really don't know where the positives are right now.
We can't blame you for going and us therefore getting beat? :D

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:11 pm

Utter rubbish that Evatt - did we have a shot on target ?, tippy tappy doing nothing robotic shite.

No intensity, no pace, no skill, no imagination, no desire. this team is some distance off competing for a top two spot next season, we need some men in the team, we just get bullied so easily without anyone to give it back - apart from Dempsey we are soft as shite.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri May 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:11 pm
Utter rubbish that Evatt - did we have a shot on target ?, tippy tappy doing nothing robotic shite.

No intensity, no pace, no skill, no imagination, no desire. this team is some distance off competing for a top two spot next season, we need some men in the team, we just get bullied so easily without anyone to give it back - apart from Dempsey we are soft as shite.

I wouldn't disagree we lack steel and en element of shithousery.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:13 pm

It’s a disappointing way to end. But let’s not overshadow we finished 5th with 81 points. And won a cup.

I think in the end we probably have to admit that we peaked against Plymouth and have struggled since then grinding out wins without really being convincing. Maybe legs tired.

However, I think we are well placed to go one better next season. The transfer judgement has to be better than it was this season. But we don’t need too much.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm
180 minutes of absolute mediocrity. We saw what they did Saturday and offered them exactly the same but with less passion. Some poor tactical calls between home and away - with zero elements of surprise.

Overall, a decent season with a disappointing fizzle at the end. Barnsley deserved the win overall.
This 100% - Evatt is nowhere near as good as 'he' thinks he is.

Where was the desire, passion, intensity ? - fecking clueless tonight, played like a team of strangers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
I certainly wouldn't judge their ability to score from that sort of service and they might get a bit of a let from that and being able to move. But really from Vic, Dan and Cameron, they seem singularly unable when getting the ball to a) trap it b) move it on somewhere useful or to any sort of white shirt c) in Vic's case actually stand up.

IE has his work cut out over summer with these three.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:13 pm
It’s a disappointing way to end. But let’s not overshadow we finished 5th with 81 points. And won a cup.

I think in the end we probably have to admit that we peaked against Plymouth and have struggled since then grinding out wins without really being convincing. Maybe legs tired.

However, I think we are well placed to go one better next season. The transfer judgement has to be better than it was this season. But we don’t need too much.
Based on what exactly ?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I really don't know where the positives are right now.
We can't blame you for going and us therefore getting beat? :D
You do have a point. My only game in the last 3 months was Accrington at home.
I've seen maybe 10 games this season and generally thought we were shit. Fully expected to get swallowed up by the pack and miss playoffs. Fully expected us to lose once we made them.
Wembley was a great distraction. And I hope it's enthused a younger generation.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:17 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm
180 minutes of absolute mediocrity. We saw what they did Saturday and offered them exactly the same but with less passion. Some poor tactical calls between home and away - with zero elements of surprise.

Overall, a decent season with a disappointing fizzle at the end. Barnsley deserved the win overall.
This 100% - Evatt is nowhere near as good as 'he' thinks he is.

Where was the desire, passion, intensity ? - fecking clueless tonight, played like a team of strangers.
Yeah - you probably get away with missing desire, passion and intensity, if you put in a comfy 1-0 win - you're going to get pelters when it's what we've just witnessed..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:19 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Based on what exactly ?
Finishing 5th with 81 points….we improve and go again. Plymouth 7th after a meltdown end of last season. Improved and went up as champions.

That’s what we’ve got to do. Go from 5th best side to 2nd best,

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:19 pm

Crap. But not really disappointed because it's what I expected.

Ade has to be one of the worst footballers of all time, what the duck is wrong with his hand? Our midfield is dreadful, so are our forwards except Charles. Going to be a hard rebuild in the summer because we need to get shut of a lot of poor players who I think IE will want to keep and "develop".

Still at least we're trying to play football and not time wasting at home from the 30th minute.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 19, 2023 10:22 pm

quote=BWFC_Insane post_id=1156075 time=1684530365 user_id=1474]
Mar wrote:
Shit performance. Defenders potentially the only ones who can hold their heads held high tonight. Piss poor performance over two legs.

Crossing was so utterly poor. Not ambitious enough. We had a good ten mins at the start of each half.

Great season with a really piss poor performance to finish it off.
It’s not a viable tactic at this level to expect constant delivery from overlapping centre halves. We’ve got to have wing backs who can when isolated one on one produce an end product.
[/quote]

No but we should expect one decent delivery from out wide and there wasn't any.

You compare this to how we played at Wembley and there's a massive difference between the inventiveness. The movement from midfield wasn't there. Thomason isn't a through ball player and he played poorly. Nlundulu was ineffective as per usual.

Movement from the players was all backward.

Nothing much between the two sides tonight. They scored off the one moment of quality. The biggest disappointment was that when we needed to step up we couldn't and didn't even look like doing it.

Sadly that's a terrible sign off for Trafford and Bradley. Great players over the season, you will be missed. Seasons been good and looking forward to our next FLT match and aiming to retain the trophy.

Evatts done well this season. Plenty of work to do this close window.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 10:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm
I certainly wouldn't judge their ability to score from that sort of service and they might get a bit of a let from that and being able to move. But really from Vic, Dan and Cameron, they seem singularly unable when getting the ball to a) trap it b) move it on somewhere useful or to any sort of white shirt c) in Vic's case actually stand up.

IE has his work cut out over summer with these three.
Probably a discussion for another day.

For me, you're asking lower league players to trap utterly shite balls into them whilst be closed down by 2-3 players at a time and it's not happening regardless of how good they *could* be. Your average Prem forward would have struggled to control those balls into them today. You can add in that we didn't support them anywhere near well enough from midfield and it was way too easy for Barnsley to win second balls.

When Barnsley got the ball they did nothing special, but they got the basics right and that made their touches easier. Vik's touch is easily as good Cole's, but Cole wasn't asked to control passes around his ears or bouncing 10 yards away from him. He either got to run onto balls that were weighted well or he got it to feet. Santos largely ate him for supper, but he got stuff to work with.

I have no objection to getting another striker in (I think we should), but I've also no issue with Vik and Dan. They'll be fine next season, so long as the rest of the squad gets some tweaks.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 pm

I like Bradley because he’s a grafter, but he’s way off Premier League. I actually don’t think he’ll be that hard to replace.

I’m inclined to agree (again!) with Insano on the strikers. Dan has shown some good signs, but he’s not ready and we shouldn’t bring him back. Jerome has shown next to nothing and ideally would be transitioned to a non-playing role. Vic clearly can’t play with Charles yet, and looks like he needs a lot of work.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:28 pm

Can I say that the big difference between how we played at Wembley is we set up more like Barnsley and won the ball on transition then hit Plymouth. We didn’t have 70% possession going backwards. Our second and third goals and two chances all came after winning the ball back and striking at them.

That’s the big difference. Plymouth played onto us not the other way round.