We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 10:29 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 pm
I like Bradley because he’s a grafter, but he’s way off Premier League. I actually don’t think he’ll be that hard to replace.

I’m inclined to agree (again!) with Insano on the strikers. Dan has shown some good signs, but he’s not ready and we shouldn’t bring him back. Jerome has shown next to nothing and ideally would be transitioned to a non-playing role. Vic clearly can’t play with Charles yet, and looks like he needs a lot of work.
Bradley is not replaceable. BUT a better attacking wing back who can cross a ball is very possible.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:25 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm
I certainly wouldn't judge their ability to score from that sort of service and they might get a bit of a let from that and being able to move. But really from Vic, Dan and Cameron, they seem singularly unable when getting the ball to a) trap it b) move it on somewhere useful or to any sort of white shirt c) in Vic's case actually stand up.

IE has his work cut out over summer with these three.
Probably a discussion for another day.

For me, you're asking lower league players to trap utterly shite balls into them whilst be closed down by 2-3 players at a time and it's not happening regardless of how good they *could* be. Your average Prem forward would have struggled to control those balls into them today. You can add in that we didn't support them anywhere near well enough from midfield and it was way too easy for Barnsley to win second balls.

When Barnsley got the ball they did nothing special, but they got the basics right and that made their touches easier. Vik's touch is easily as good Cole's, but Cole wasn't asked to control passes around his ears or bouncing 10 yards away from him. He either got to run onto balls that were weighted well or he got it to feet. Santos largely ate him for supper, but he got stuff to work with.

I have no objection to getting another striker in (I think we should), but I've also no issue with Vik and Dan. They'll be fine next season, so long as the rest of the squad gets some tweaks.
If it was only one they didn't trap or just a few, that's forgivable, like you say L1 players (at least we're dropping the pretence they're possible champo class at the moment)

If it's only one that having done the hard work to bring it under control, you 9 out of 10 don't have a single fcuking clue how to pass it to a white shirt when some are pretty nearby or what to do with it if not pass.

To quote Insano, and I generally don't like this comparison, there are absolutely Sunday League players who get similar shit balls in and often the fear of getting utterly clattered, who show better control than those two do.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 19, 2023 10:38 pm

Terrible transfer window in Jan. Massive difference between last seasons Jan and this seasons Jan. Seems like a shame our up top recruitment.

Gonna be interesting how he looks to solve the problems of this season. Last season we looked like the finished article going into summer. This season we've been brilliant and woeful in equal measure. 5th place is a good finish all things considered. Feels like a missed opportunity.
Last edited by Mar on Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:33 pm
To quote Insano, and I generally don't like this comparison, there are absolutely Sunday League players who get similar shit balls in and often the fear of getting utterly clattered, who show better control than those two do.
Na, not having that.

Sunday League players rarely have to put up with a press anywhere near that organised and they get more time and more touches to get things under control.

Anyone suggesting Vik and Nlundulu aren't League quality in terms of their technical play is just on one. It's not a credible claim. Vik played as a winger in the Championship and didn't embarrass himself. Nlundulu has been dribbling past League One defenders for fun for 6 months before he came here and got injured.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 pm
I like Bradley because he’s a grafter, but he’s way off Premier League. I actually don’t think he’ll be that hard to replace.

I’m inclined to agree (again!) with Insano on the strikers. Dan has shown some good signs, but he’s not ready and we shouldn’t bring him back. Jerome has shown next to nothing and ideally would be transitioned to a non-playing role. Vic clearly can’t play with Charles yet, and looks like he needs a lot of work.
I still think (Accrington in the PJT aside), after Christmas, we reined Bradley in somewhat to give a bit more focus on his defensive side (which he did well, generally) and he lost some of the attacking impact. He's worked hard, not Prem League next year, but a good season and a good basis for the future for him.

Strikers, I think most are in the same place

Dan - no
Vic - can't do much about, so IE and the coaching side will have some heavy lifting over the summer
Cameron - listened to one of his post match interviews, sounds like he's got his head screwed on and seems like he knows what he wants to do coaching. I'd let him.
Kacha - I've got a soft spot for, but would only keep, if we couldn't get a replacement who can also stretch teams
Bod - Injury report permitting, I'd probably extend...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 pm

This is my honest opinion on that team tonight - the only BWFC player that I think would hurt us if they left is Santos, the rest are bang average (apart from Trafford & Bradley) mid table league 1 players or league two players.

At this level a lot of the difference is hunger, desire, intensity, bottle - loads of ours don't have any of these qualities - massive rebuild this summer if we are to improve next season, I'm talking 6 or 7 first teamers.

Oh and this tippy tappy boring as feck, slow & predicable football needs to evolve next season, unless there is a possession trophy Evatt is after. Evatt needs to change from being a one trick pony and could we please have a couple of players who can beat a man and run with the ball or is this to much to ask ? whatever happened to the Barrowcelona its more like Boringcelona.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Na, not having that.

Sunday League players rarely have to put up with a press anywhere near that organised and they get more time and more touches to get things under control.

Anyone suggesting Vik and Nlundulu aren't League quality in terms of their technical play is just on one. It's not a credible claim. Vik played as a winger in the Championship and didn't embarrass himself. Nlundulu has been dribbling past League One defenders for fun for 6 months before he came here and got injured.
I can't comment on what they've done before, didn't watch them much. As I've said elsewhere, Vic isn't going anywhere soon, so we just need to hope the coaching team work the fairy dust. I'm only using what we've seen since they've been here. They have both been awful generally so far. Maybe for Dan his injury has removed his inner League 1 Messi, but when I have seen him dribble past players, it's usually to run into a dead end.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri May 19, 2023 10:47 pm

End of a good season for us. This match and others against the top teams and bottom teams highlights that we need to strengthen in the summer to get out of this league. Today we gave away the ball so many times when we tried to play it forward that I lost count. When I paid closer attention to what Barnsley was doing, the balls forward were finding their players like magnet. Our quality up front is below the standard required. Our midfield is below the quality that we need. Our defense can just about hold its own. With Traff gone, we need to get in similar quality. Make use of the expired contracts and get better players in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 pm
This is my honest opinion on that team tonight - the only BWFC player that I think would hurt us if they left is Santos, the rest are bang average (apart from Trafford & Bradley) mid table league 1 players or league two players.

At this level a lot of the difference is hunger, desire, intensity, bottle - loads of ours don't have any of these qualities - massive rebuild this summer if we are to improve next season, I'm talking 6 or 7 first teamers.

Oh and this tippy tappy boring as feck, slow & predicable football needs to evolve next season, unless there is a possession trophy Evatt is after. Evatt needs to change from being a one trick pony and could we please have a couple of players who can beat a man and run with the ball or is this to much to ask ? whatever happened to the Barrowcelona its more like Boringcelona.
I think part of the problem with the "tippy tappy boring as feck" thing, is if people think City are a boring watch (not all the time, but some of it) - because it's so antiseptic and often even if you up tempo, it doesn't always feel intense - then the chances of us doing much else than looking boring is fairly limited. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 10:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:46 pm
I can't comment on what they've done before, didn't watch them much. As I've said elsewhere, Vic isn't going anywhere soon, so we just need to hope the coaching team work the fairy dust. I'm only using what we've seen since they've been here. They have both been awful generally so far. Maybe for Dan his injury has removed his inner League 1 Messi, but when I have seen him dribble past players, it's usually to run into a dead end.
They've not exactly set the world alight since they arrived, I agree.

I've no real issue with people saying they personally don't rate a player, that's just how the game goes and opinions change over time.

I'm still where I was previous regarding the strikers - we've not brought in that rapid striker we need and I'm hoping we'll find that in the summer. I think Evatt said today that he was hope Nlundulu's pace in behind would be a threat, but when he made those runes the ball ended up 30 yards from him (not hyperbole, it was that bad).

If we want any realistic target to stand a chance we have got to get them the ball with a degree of quality, inside the box or in behind.

If we fix the squad issues AND sign some amazing new striker, cool.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:55 pm

BTW we create absolutely nothing - our midfield is weak as piss & our tactics are, were none existent. Tonight pass sideways & backwards for a minute or so and then just nice person it forwards towards their 3 x 6ft 5 plus CB's.

Can anyone please let me in on Evatt's tactical plan tonight ?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 19, 2023 10:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Na, not having that.

There were points tonight where Nlundulu looked mystified by the concept of a football, irrespective of the delivery. It was ridiculous. He was all over the place. Whatever he's done elsewhere, I don't care. He's shit and that should be the last we see of him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 19, 2023 10:58 pm

I imagine if evatt could bin all 3 January strikers he would. He has one opportunity to do so and he should take it.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 19, 2023 10:59 pm

A disappointing, but, not unexpected, result tonight. A good season overall. Next season will be interesting.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 19, 2023 10:59 pm

You get what you deserve at the end of the season. Can’t say we deserved any more than what we have got.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 19, 2023 11:01 pm

It has been a good season and we've finished about where we deserved to. Beaten play off side and a trophy in the cabinet.

The frustrating elements of this season were all there though in those 180 minutes. Defenders solid enough but all slow and safety first in possession. Midfield good at keeping possession but offering little to no threat. Strikers not working the keeper off the few crumbs that come their way.

Big test next season for Evatt. Can he adjust the style to turn us into proper contenders or is he a pound shop Pep, whose sides will roll over at the merest press and aggression?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri May 19, 2023 11:03 pm

We won a trophy and got to the playoffs. I would say that we have had a successful season. Lets build on that with promotion next season.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 19, 2023 11:03 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:56 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Na, not having that.

There were points tonight where Nlundulu looked mystified by the concept of a football, irrespective of the delivery. It was ridiculous. He was all over the place. Whatever he's done elsewhere, I don't care. He's shit and that should be the last we see of him.
Yes he's like a new born foal, his legs are not on the same wavelength as the rest of his body - mind our manager thinks that he's the next Ivan Toney, which says more about Evatt than the player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:04 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:55 pm
BTW we create absolutely nothing - our midfield is weak as piss & our tactics are, were none existent. Tonight pass sideways & backwards for a minute or so and then just nice person it forwards towards their 3 x 6ft 5 plus CB's.

Can anyone please let me in on Evatt's tactical plan tonight ?
He wanted to drop Nlundulu back and play around him as a pivot, but Barnsley saw it coming and they put two on him. They then forced the ball out to Toal and said "Go on then."

In the second half we had that 15 minute spell where we got going and it was because we shifted the shape in midfield and were able to get the ball away from Toal with Morley as a 6. When Barnsley got a grip on that and started forcing it back to Toal again we couldn't respond.

Morley is a good player, but he can't turn and drive with the ball - so Barnsley kept him on his wrong foot and that was that.

They're not a special side, but they are very organised and their players understand how football works.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 pm

I think part of the problem with the "tippy tappy boring as feck" thing, is if people think City are a boring watch (not all the time, but some of it) - because it's so antiseptic and often even if you up tempo, it doesn't always feel intense - then the chances of us doing much else than looking boring is fairly limited. :-)
I think we need to dispel the myth that we are some crap league one version of Man City. Even if we take the absolute absurdity of the quality gap away - we aren’t playing or trying to play remotely like Guardiola sets city up. This week he has Grealish and Silva as wing backs high up the pitch compresses the play with two 6’s protecting the back three and then two free behind a target. Their patterns of play are nothing like ours - even again ignoring quality.

We are more like a not as good Sheffield United under Wilder.